GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,118
2 members and 1,116 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Yes, you are right in thinking that, but . . .

. . . meaning absolutely no disrespect to Gamma Phi Beta or Dr. Brown, the word "sorority" did exist before Gamma Phi Beta. Sir Thomas More used it in his writings around 1530. Granted, it was never as common a word as "fraternity" (which had a long use among religious communities prior to its use for what we think of as fraternities), but it when he suggested it in the 1870s for Gamma Phi Beta, Dr. Brown could have been drawing on a knowledge of More's writings. Of course, he also could have been completely unaware of the previous use of the word and simply did what someone before him had done -- gone back to the Latin sororitas and anglicized it in a manner similar to fraternitas.
We can give dear Dr. Brown credit for being the first to apply "sorority" to a women's GLO. It can be fun to state that Gamma Phi was the first SORORITY to Pi Phis or A D Pis =
Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
We can give dear Dr. Brown credit for being the first to apply "sorority" to a women's GLO.
Absolutely! We can also give Dr. Brown credit for being learned, without a doubt.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Interestingly, the same dear Dr. Brown assisted Alpha Gamma Delta and we are a Fraternity.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

im not sure if this has been said already, but i live and go to school in the state of Nevada, where brothels are a legal thing, and if your sorority house holds more than 12 girls, you legally have to have a house mother.. which is essentially your madame. I know that is NV law.. but im not sure about any other states.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGnevada View Post
im not sure if this has been said already, but i live and go to school in the state of Nevada, where brothels are a legal thing, and if your sorority house holds more than 12 girls, you legally have to have a house mother.. which is essentially your madame. I know that is NV law.. but im not sure about any other states.
You need to get yourself to the UNR Law Library, since that isn't how the law works for the locations of brothels/legal prostitution in Nevada. Reno is in Washoe County, and that, as well as Clark County (Las Vegas), are at least two of the counties where prostitution is not legal. Therefore, there are no laws relating to brothels or prostitution and sorority houses at either UNLV or UNR, but there are laws about unrelated relatives living together and zoning.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohhhh right. "There are no brothel laws relating to sorority houses in any state" actually means "There are no brothel laws relating to sorority houses in any state but Nevada."

How silly of us to forget that.

Last edited by agzg; 04-30-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Ohhhh right. "There are no brothel laws relating to sorority houses in any state" actually means "Ther are no brothel laws relating to sorority houses in any state but Nevada."

How silly of us to forget that.
Just another snowflake letting us commoners know how truly special her situation is.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGnevada View Post
So in other words all the girls that live in or go to school in your state are whores? How much do you charge? Is it extra to go in the back door?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 AM

LOL @ this thread being 10 pages of people saying "but MY school really does have a brothel law" and people saying it's fake. Then the same people saying "but MY school is special."

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
LOL @ this thread being 10 pages of people saying "but MY school really does have a brothel law" and people saying it's fake. Then the same people saying "but MY school is special."
Yes but I was impressed to see someone from Nevada since it was like an entirely different perspective on the "My school REALLY DOES have a brothel law" thing. You know, just for a change of pace.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Yes but I was impressed to see someone from Nevada since it was like an entirely different perspective on the "My school REALLY DOES have a brothel law" thing. You know, just for a change of pace.
You're ALIVE. How goes everything?

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're ALIVE. How goes everything?
Rumors of my death were greatly under-reported.

Well I'm finished with my last clinical internship on Friday, and all I have left is a thesis. However I'm looking at not being able to pay rent by June if I don't get hired like... tomorrow. I have high hopes for a grant-funded position I applied for but no idea how fast the position will get filled. And I have a hope of some part time relief RA work at the residential facility at my current agency but that's not steady either so... yeah.

Mostly good, but the stress is rolling on in.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Rumors of my death were greatly under-reported.

Well I'm finished with my last clinical internship on Friday, and all I have left is a thesis. However I'm looking at not being able to pay rent by June if I don't get hired like... tomorrow. I have high hopes for a grant-funded position I applied for but no idea how fast the position will get filled. And I have a hope of some part time relief RA work at the residential facility at my current agency but that's not steady either so... yeah.

Mostly good, but the stress is rolling on in.
Hang in there. I'm part-time at a community mental health type agency right now, but we are working on some grant funding that may = full-time again in the future.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hang in there. I'm part-time at a community mental health type agency right now, but we are working on some grant funding that may = full-time again in the future.
Yeah our agency is looking at a huge funding cut if IL doesn't get its budget act together, the employees will be taken care of, but I'll be done with my internship long before that. Hopefully they get the budget together, and hopefully they don't lose like... all of their residential money, but until then I'm just looking for something in the field that at LEAST uses my bachelor's degree until I finish the thesis.

*fingers crossed for you too*
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

OK I skipped a few pages so if this was already covered, please forgive me.

From what I was always told, NYC does still incorporate brothel laws, but this is also included for Frats (male prostitution anyone?)

Frat & Sorority houses are illegal in NYC and there are absolutely none within the 5 boroughs- although that does not mean there isn't room for them, especially in Staten Island. While some of the larger schools may have floors for specific GLO's, its rare.

I tried looking it up to find out what the actual reason is and I can't find anything. Does anyone know whats up with that?