GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,131
2 members and 1,129 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at Pitt

How is rush at the University of Pittsburgh? Is it pretty intense/difficult to get a bid? What about rushing as a sophomore? Also, I was looking at their greek life website and there are a lot of chapters there that don't seem to be very well-known/prevalent in the southern schools, which chapters are the better, more well-known chapters at Pitt?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:39 PM

No one is going to give you "reputation" advice on GC, and if you're looking for a sorority experience like you would get at a southern school, it would behoove you to attend elsewhere.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No one is going to give you "reputation" advice on GC, and if you're looking for a sorority experience like you would get at a southern school, it would behoove you to attend elsewhere.
LOL you got that right!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a sophomore is 100% not a problem at Pitt. There may actually be more sophomores than freshmen that rush.

It's not a cakewalk, but it is not nearly as competitive as big recruitment schools. If you give every house a chance, you will very likely get a bid. Over the past 7 years since I graduated, all of the sororities have really upped their game. For example, everyone took quota this year during fall recruitment, and there will be NO spring recruitment for the first time that anyone can remember. There used to be a strong divide between the "top" chapters, the middle and the bottom, but those lines are now heavily blurred. Reputations are b.s., particularly at Pitt which is a large school where there is a lot of diversity of opinions, and a lot of non-greek idiots who just pass on old rumors or reputations but know ZERO about any of the orgs. Almost all of the sororities are pretty strong right now.

Recs are generally a foreign concept. There's not many legacies going through, so be sure to mention. I don't think any houses will write you off for being a legacy to another house.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
if you're looking for a sorority experience like you would get at a southern school, it would behoove you to attend elsewhere.
Just saw this and just saw the OP's prior post about rushing at UT.

Totally, utterly different worlds.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks kddani for your insight!

Last edited by hookem2013; 11-24-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem2013 View Post
How is rush at the University of Pittsburgh? Is it pretty intense/difficult to get a bid? What about rushing as a sophomore? Also, I was looking at their greek life website and there are a lot of chapters there that don't seem to be very well-known/prevalent in the southern schools, which chapters are the better, more well-known chapters at Pitt?
As someone who is very familiar with the organizations at Pitt and has experience with southern schools as well, I'm surprised to see this. While Pitt has several chapters that thrive in the Northeast, the others have pretty solid national (and southern) reputations.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 PM

^^Yes, I understood some that she was talking about, but I thought saying there were "a lot" was, well, a lot of ridiculous.

Nobody QFPed the last post.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Quote:
I'm sorry! I didn't mean to say a lot! I just was comparing it to the chapters at my school now and the one's at Pitt and there are only 5 that are here and the rest at Pitt I have never heard of. Sorry if I exaggerated! Thanks for yall's help!
Just because you have not heard of the ones at Pitt does not mean they are not strong, thriving organizations.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:29 AM
GreekChat Member

hookem, since you turned off your PMs after you sent me one, I am going to reply here.

As I said in my post, recs aren't necessary.

Again, as I said in my post, I am NOT going to tell you the reputations of the chapters at Pitt. You know zero about any of the chapters besides what you tried to look at online, you've never met a single woman from any of the chapters, and you're focusing on 3 of them because they are strong in your area? (many other chapters at Pitt are strong nationally, especially in the South, including my own chapter- KD- which didn't make your "list" - not a good idea when you're asking someone for help) Chapters are different everywhere. And further, if you go into recruitment only looking at 3 chapters, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

I'm sorry if these seems harsh, but we just don't do that here. And I'm not going to do that for my school. The sororities have really done a great job the past couple years and nearly every chapter is excellent now.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Oh, and also - don't come up north for an easy peasy (so you think) rush and then transfer back down to Texas. I don't think so, Homie don't play that.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think so, Homie don't play that.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I transferred when I didn't get a bid. Everyone knows you go to school to join a top tier sorority and get your MRS degree. Its important to get that man in this tough economy!
Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
For someone who was so upset about Texas sororities relying on PNM reputations to determine who gets invited back and receives a bid, you have a lot of nerve coming here to ask strangers about the reputations of sororities at another school. It's obvious that the reason she's so interested in southern sororities and reputations at Pitt is because she had an unsuccessful rush at Texas this year. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...26#post1842326. Thank goodness KSUViolet QFPed her original post there before she deleted it after she made this post. Gee, I wonder why she tried to delete it?

What good would it do to transfer to a school with an "easy" recruitment only to get a bid from one of those "lesser" sororities? She couldn't try to transfer back to Texas and get in through the back door via affiliation.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

LadyLonghorn, why do you care so much? Looking at your past posts, it looks like you take a lot of time going back to look at what people have posted before just to come back and rub it in their faces. Yes, I did have an unsuccessful rush at Texas, and no, I am not planning on transferring to another school and coming back to Texas. I would never choose a school just because of their greek life. Like most people should, I am actually going to college to get an education, not to be in a sorority. I actually did get a bid through continous opening bidding and decided to decline it, because after much thought and after a difficult rush, greek life at Texas is something I decided was too much for me. My sister is at Pitt and that is why I was wondering. Thanks though for your feedback LadyLonghorn! Happy thanksgiving to you too!

Last edited by hookem2013; 11-27-2009 at 01:03 PM.