GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,253
1 members and 2,252 guests
Tridentia

Old 09-30-2017, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

USC restricts freshmen from recruitment

http://dailytrojan.com/2017/09/29/us...k-recruitment/
Old 09-30-2017, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a clarification on the thread title -- the new policy bars first semester freshmen and transfers from recruitment. From the article and letter from the VP of Student Affairs, it sounds like they may move to deferred second semester recruitment, as the new minimum is 12 earned credits at USC and a 2.5 USC GPA.

As a parent of two GLO members who recently went through recruitment -- one in January and one in September -- both of them think that deferred recruitment is preferable because they like the idea of having a semester to acclimate before adding weekly meetings and all the other "doings" to a student's schedule.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 09-30-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I couldn't get the link to work. I hate my computer. Maybe this one will help, if others have a problem.

USC Instates GPA and Unit Requirements for Greek recruitment
Old 09-30-2017, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

We are scheduled to recolonize our Pi charter here next fall. Hopefully, this new mandate doesn't have a huge impact obtaining colony members.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
We are scheduled to recolonize our Pi charter here next fall. Hopefully, this new mandate doesn't have a huge impact obtaining colony members.
Wow...that's a good question. I wonder if they'll make you delay til January? Or, you may have a monopoly on fall fraternity recruitment if you already have an agreement in place.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
In my experience, Phi Kappa Tau could still recolonize in the fall and take only upperclassmen. Depending on how your org does it, this group would get the ball rolling with making the colony bylaws, experiencing whatever pledge program y'all provide, etc. Then, probably with assistance from your national office, they will run the recruitment in the spring and help select the new members from the eligible freshmen who rush.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-01-2017, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Wow...that's a good question. I wonder if they'll make you delay til January? Or, you may have a monopoly on fall fraternity recruitment if you already have an agreement in place.
The agreement is Fall '18. We have a couple of colonizations planed for winter/ spring 2019 so delaying may be be a problem.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:41 PM

USC is very much an obviously tiered system with a lot of the tent talk.

I always wonder if deferring is best at a system like that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:04 PM

I assume this wouldn't prevent transfers who joined GLOs at the schools they're transferring from from affiliating with their GLO's USC chapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
In my experience, Phi Kappa Tau could still recolonize in the fall and take only upperclassmen.
That is quite probably what would happen. When a GLO colonizes, they typically look for new members from all four classes - upperclassmen who can step straight into leadership roles and younger students who will be around for 3-4 years. So, Phi Kappa Tau could draw from the pool of unaffiliated non-transfer sophomore, junior, and senior men for the colony in fall 2018, then participate in spring recruitment and add some freshmen and transfers.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't disagree with this. Or having an upper class rush in the fall and freshman rush in the spring. Like a semi-structured informal in the fall where you can only rush to total with upper classmen. I'm thinking Florida or Florida State has a big informal rush where every chapter participates in round 1 and then only chapters who need girls invite back.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
USC is very much an obviously tiered system with a lot of the tent talk.

I always wonder if deferring is best at a system like that.
ding ding ding

It isn't, usually. But I feel like it's especially bad at Flagship State University where you have feeder high schools and towns (and alumni) perpetuating tiers. Maaaaybe USC will be okay, as they have students from across the country. But yeah, deferred recruitment always makes stereotypes and tent talk and tiers stickier. And I'm not sure that it really helps with membership retention at all, sadly. The one good thing is you have a term of college grades to look at. In my experience, that's really the only positive (and it is definitely a positive) of deferred recruitment.

TEII