GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,031
1 members and 1,030 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

A Fashion Recruitment Story

Okay, so recruitment is starting up at my school and I looooove reading recruitment stories here. In fact, these stories (and the replies to them) helped me decide to go for recruitment myself.

So, I'm pretty sure this has been done but my story will have a fashion theme. I'm going to use Fashion Capitals as names for the sororities. At my school we have 5 sororities. I'll call them:

Paris
London
Milan
Barcelona
New York

So last Friday we had Meet the Greeks. They were basically house tours and the board members for each sorority were there. This isn't part of recruitment but I did have some first impressions that I thought I should share since I'm sure they'll be a factor in my decisions.

Paris - I originally thought I would love these girls. Love their colors! Love their philanthropy! I must admit I'd been stalking their FB and I was in looove. However, when I met them, they seemed a bit... dry. They seemed to be forcing it when talking to us and seemed a bit too eager for us to move to the next house. Whereas other sororities were gushing about their sisterhood, these girls barely mentioned it. Ok, they didn't at all. They talked more about achievements. However, maybe they were just nervous and wanted to impress us. I'm not sure I can see myself here but I'm not counting them out. Stories on here have proven that's a bad idea.

London - I loooooved these girls. I had heard bad things about them. Mostly that their last pledge class was a bit awkward. However, that's not something important to me. The girls I did meet were so funny and silly and I loved that. They were also very pretty and I must admit I looooved their outfits. Their house was very cute and comfy. I can see myself here.

Milan - I had met a few of these girls before. Won't give more details how, because that might make it obvious who I am. Anyway, I knew I'd love them because I had got on well with them before. I loved their house and was happy when one of the girls noticed me and said hi right when I walked in. (hoping that's a good sign)

Barcelona - These girls were really sweet and I must admit I loved them. However, I know that they aren't very social with the other greeks and don't do mixers. It may sound trivial but that's one thing about greek life that excites me. I think the recruitment process will decide this one. If I make a connection with them, I will def join. (also, question for other greeks: if your sorority doesn't go to socials, but you have a friend in another sorority who does, is it ok to go with your other friend or do they go with their sorority only?)

New York - This sorority was just okay for me. They didn't make a good or bad impression. I'll wait for recruitment to make a judgement call here.

Anyway, recruitment starts Friday, so I will probably post then or Saturday. Sorry to keep you waiting but I was just soooo excited and wanted to post something. lol
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Silly me.. I should have posted this in the Recruitment Stories section. Is there any way to move it?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkglitter View Post
Okay, so recruitment is starting up at my school and I looooove reading recruitment stories here. In fact, these stories (and the replies to them) helped me decide to go for recruitment myself.

So, I'm pretty sure this has been done but my story will have a fashion theme. I'm going to use Fashion Capitals as names for the sororities. At my school we have 5 sororities. I'll call them:

Paris
London
Milan
Barcelona
New York

So last Friday we had Meet the Greeks. They were basically house tours and the board members for each sorority were there. This isn't part of recruitment but I did have some first impressions that I thought I should share since I'm sure they'll be a factor in my decisions.

Paris - I originally thought I would love these girls. Love their colors! Love their philanthropy! I must admit I'd been stalking their FB and I was in looove. However, when I met them, they seemed a bit... dry. They seemed to be forcing it when talking to us and seemed a bit too eager for us to move to the next house. Whereas other sororities were gushing about their sisterhood, these girls barely mentioned it. Ok, they didn't at all. They talked more about achievements. However, maybe they were just nervous and wanted to impress us. I'm not sure I can see myself here but I'm not counting them out. Stories on here have proven that's a bad idea.

London - I loooooved these girls. I had heard bad things about them. Mostly that their last pledge class was a bit awkward. However, that's not something important to me. The girls I did meet were so funny and silly and I loved that. They were also very pretty and I must admit I looooved their outfits. Their house was very cute and comfy. I can see myself here.

Milan - I had met a few of these girls before. Won't give more details how, because that might make it obvious who I am. Anyway, I knew I'd love them because I had got on well with them before. I loved their house and was happy when one of the girls noticed me and said hi right when I walked in. (hoping that's a good sign)

Barcelona - These girls were really sweet and I must admit I loved them. However, I know that they aren't very social with the other greeks and don't do mixers. It may sound trivial but that's one thing about greek life that excites me. I think the recruitment process will decide this one. If I make a connection with them, I will def join. (also, question for other greeks: if your sorority doesn't go to socials, but you have a friend in another sorority who does, is it ok to go with your other friend or do they go with their sorority only?)

New York - This sorority was just okay for me. They didn't make a good or bad impression. I'll wait for recruitment to make a judgement call here.

Anyway, recruitment starts Friday, so I will probably post then or Saturday. Sorry to keep you waiting but I was just soooo excited and wanted to post something. lol
QFP

I'm begging you, please, please, pretty please let there be at least one chapter with sequined hosiery!!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't decide if you're being sarcastic. lol... Hope I'm not coming off superficial or anything

Last edited by pinkglitter; 09-03-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

No :-) There is a past infamous recruitment story that your user name reminded me of and obviously, at least, one other GCer.

And yes, most of us had friends in and socialized with other sororities on campus. We often party hopped depending on who had the best band/DJ/etc that night. :-)
Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

You're doing great. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can't decide if your sarcasm is good or bad. lol... Hope I'm not coming off superficial or anything
It's good - there was an absolutely obnoxious Recruitment Thread a few years back, involving super beautiful twins with that special thing, pink sequined hose, cheerleaders, and a mother who had been a Miss America contestant. It's a darn shame that nobody save it - the whole story was a riot!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
No :-) There is a past infamous recruitment story that your user name reminded me of and obviously, at least, one other GCer.
Oh that's good to know. I've seen other PNMs unintentionally come off superficial and was scared of doing that. I'll have to look that thread up. Sounds interesting.

Quote:
And yes, most of us had friends in and socialized with other sororities on campus. We often party hopped depending on who had the best band/DJ/etc that night. :-)
That's good to know! Makes me rethink Barcelona. I liked them a LOT but the thought of not being social kinda scared me. I don't want to miss out on any experiences.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Where are you getting your information on Barcelona? Is this just rumor that they don't do mixers? That seems a bit strange and, at least to me, doesn't sound entirely true.

As for joining a friend from another sorority when they do mixers, that would be a NO. When a sorority is invited to a mixer only members of that sorority should be in attendance.

Quote:
Can't decide if you're being sarcastic. lol... Hope I'm not coming off superficial or anything
Not to worry, pinkglitter. Your name simply invokes a funny story posted here on Greekchat from years gone by. Honeychile would never mean you any harm.

Good luck with Recruitment and keep us posted!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Really? We didn't do this. Perhaps it's different depending on the campus?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

@honeychile Is this it? http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums...ad.php?t=88442
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
As for joining a friend from another sorority when they do mixers, that would be a NO. When a sorority is invited to a mixer only members of that sorority should be in attendance.
This isn't always true. At campuses I am familiar with sorority girls can almost always bring a female friend or two to a party/mixer as long as it is not a date party or off site. At midnight. most parties open to anyone on the guest list.

Yes, we party hopped. I had friends in AOII and Tri Sigma and we often put each other on the guest list for our own events and decided which party to go to depending on who had a band we wanted to see. Also, I was social chair and if I heard a fraternity had a good band, I just called their social and he's put us on the list, me + 3 usually.

Last edited by IndianaSigKap; 09-03-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Where are you getting your information on Barcelona? Is this just rumor that they don't do mixers? That seems a bit strange and, at least to me, doesn't sound entirely true.
It's partially from rumors and a bit of looking on FB and their page showed no mention of mixers or socials. However, I should have mentioned that this is something I plan on asking them at recruitment. I've heard that most rumors aren't true. I just can't help myself from speculating because I'm so excited.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

No problem, pinkglitter. Speculating is perfectly normal at this point. Just make sure you get the facts before you make any decisions during Recruitment.

IndianaSigKap and I have very different experiences with mixers so I'd recommend finding out what's the norm for your own campus.

And finally...yes! That's the link to the story. It's well worth a read.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Leslie Anne part of the differences in our experience might be semantics, too. :-) We didn't call anything mixers. We had date parties, parties, and socials. Socials were strictly just our chapter and one fraternity, but they still opened at midnight, when we bothered to have them. Not a lot of chapters had socials because it was seen as kind of snobby/elitist. The sororities who insisted on them were often the butt of jokes of the fraternities. Parties were paired events (or 4 ways or 6 ways) with guest lists. We usually had one or two official ones a month. Fraternities had open parties every weekend with guest lists. Even when you were paired with a certain fraternity for an event, it wasn't uncommon to go to other fraternities one night during the weekend.

Some campuses are very different, so yes the OP should check it out! But I did want to point out there are campuses out there that don't mind guests as long as they are friends with one group or the other.