GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,091
1 members and 1,090 guests
aradativanovay8

Old 08-13-2015, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

A Parks and Rec-ruitment Story

Hey Y'all!
So I'm going through recruitment and figured it'd be fun to share/document my experience! I absolutely love Parks and Rec and am thoroughly looking forward to the next couple of days.
There are a whopping 17 sororities at my school, but thank goodness there's a large cast to choose from!

Here are the chapters (in no particular order):
Leslie Knope
Andy Dwyer
April Ludgate
Tom Haverford
Ron Swanson
Ann Perkins
Jerry Gergich
Donna Meagle
Chris Traeger
Ben Wyatt
Perd Hapley
Li'l Sebastian
Jean-Ralphio Saperstein
Lucy
Tammy number 2
Shauna Malwae-Tweep
Mark Brendanawicz

Now on to complete my "park project." I'm ready to find a home.

Last edited by joyfulnoise; 08-13-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2015, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

April Ludgate all the way!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

It's fun to read a Recruitment Story when you really don't know the characters, so you can't pick a quick favorite!

Hint: You may want to write it in real time, but post it afterwards. There are so many sleuths here on GC - and in a lot of chapters!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

hoping lil sebastian takes it! good luck!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

hoping it's Ron Swanson!!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Ben Wyatt! Can't wait to hear the rest
Old 08-14-2015, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you going through rush right now? If so, best of luck to you!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Parks and Rec-ruitment Round 1

Round 1 happened over the course of two days. I can honestly say I had NO idea about what I was getting into. So I put on a dress, put my emergency survival kit together, and took off into Greek Life world. I swear it was about as chaotic as the Knope-Wyatt household with the triplets running around.

Ron Swanson: I was overwhelmed with how loud these girls were. I loved the energy, but I was so awkward talking to these girls. I remember that I was bumped like crazy, but had a really memorable conversation about giraffes. The girls were very well put together, and I remember thinking that I wanted a second look.

Jean-Ralphio Saperstein: Loved their energy. I wasn’t bumped at all, had a great conversation about Chris Pratt (because who doesn't love him?!) and was complimented on my composition.

Shauna Malwae-Tweep: They were loud and I’m interested in going back. Also suggested really good restaurants in the area so that captured my interest, cause you know, food.

Leslie Knope: I loved the relaxed energy here. There was a bit of philanthropy talk, a lot about an organization on campus that raised money for Children's Hospitals, which hit close to home. They seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. I actively participated in conversation and was complimented on how composed and at ease I was. I also remember that they emphasized different interests at the sorority, which made me feel a lot better since that's been an internal struggle for me going through recruitment.

April Ludgate: I talked to a girl who was the big of a girl who is in my major (which isn't a very well known one). It made me feel worlds better about going through recruitment, knowing that a girl with similar interests and a big time commitment to her studies found a home here. She complimented how composed I was and emphasized how fun living in the house is. It was here where I thought "Okay, I can do this."

Tom Haverford: I didn’t really connect. I had two girls talking to me who were more interested in each other than carrying a conversation with me.

Jerry Gergich: I was at ease in this house. The girl I talked to emphasized how supportive her sisters were and introduced me to her roommate. They stressed the community at the house and I was able to have a meaningful conversation with both the girls. I really loved them, they have exactly what I’m looking for in a sorority.

Li'l Sebastian: Good conversation and classy energy. Emphasized that their members were involved all over campus and that they wanted their members to get out there. They also put me at ease, since they talked about the different interests within the house. I definitely felt like they were listening to me, and that was refreshing.

Lucy: I didn’t connect here at all. The girls didn’t really listen to me, had the same questions and actually repeated some of them. Exhaustion showed, which I totally understand, but I really wished that we could had a little bit of an engaging conversation.

Ann Perkins: These ladies were very put together. Very friendly and encouraging and accepting of my major. I want to see what else they’ll bring to the table.

Tammy number 2: This house took me aback because it had a lower level of energy than some other houses. There was this one girl who was extremely sweet and had a lot of energy, like me, and we had an awesome conversation about fanny packs. There was a lot of moving around so it was slightly chaotic. That threw me off. I think want a second look, but I'm not sure yet.

Donna Meagle: I remember seeing dresses the exact same color here. I had a very engaging conversation with a girl, and noticed I wasn’t bumped. There was a very classy vibe present. They emphasized the connection with their sisters as well.

Mark Brendanawicz: I didn’t connect here at all. There was a girl who wasn't subtle about bumping me, but she failed to get another girl over. She talked about how involved her house was on campus, and her interests, but I didn't contribute much to the conversation.

Chris Traeger: These girls had great energy, emphasized how diverse their sorority was. I didn’t lead the conversation and the girl was a little too obvious about wanting to bump me, but I’d like to see more of them.

Perd Hapley: The cheer in the house lasted a long time, and it had a ton of pop culture references, which was refreshing and really funny. There were some dull moments in conversation, but altogether I wasn’t impressed.

Andy Dwyer: I remember having a totally different conversation here, instead of “Oh where are you living?” It was “What’s your favorite kind of coffee?” I was bumped a couple times, but all girls had interesting personalities. I also remember that they all looked the same.

Ben Wyatt: These girls were LOUD. A lot of great energy, but I was getting to the point where I was about done, so I zoned out. I don't really remember what else happened besides there was a really nice chandelier in the house.

My rankings at the end of Round 1:
1. Leslie Knope
1. Jerry Gergich
1. Li'l Sebastian
1. April Ludgate
1. Andy Dwyer
1. Jean-Ralphio Saperstein
1. Donna Meagle
1. Shauna Malwae-Tweep
1. Chris Traeger
1. Ben Wyatt
1. Ann Perkins
1. Ron Swanson

Alternates:
2.Tammy number 2
3.Perd Hapley
4.Tom Haverford
5.Mark Brendanawicz
6.Lucy

A recurring theme that I saw during this round when I was asking questions was how involved outside of the sorority these members were. I made the decision about my major knowing that a lot of my free time would be spent doing extra work and preparation for my classes, and I want to find a home that would accept that time commitment. I'm also looking for a really supportive community, which is why I was drawn to the sororities that emphasized the connection between the girls.

Can't wait to do House Tours next round!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Love, love love. Good luck!! So do the Rho Chis tell you about bumping? That is something I would never have known the word for as a rushee. We called it "picking up", but same thing. Just curious if they detail that you will be "bumped" during the parties.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
So do the Rho Chis tell you about bumping? That is something I would never have known the word for as a rushee.
I am notorious for being a planner, so I did a lot of research online about recruitment. The term "bumping" was something I stumbled upon during my research.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Fun story. You guys are so much more knowledgeable about things than we were in the pre-Internet, Dinosaur Age.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Great details...looking forward to hearing about Round 2!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Any updates?
Old 08-20-2015, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

When a PNM starts a story and then disappears, it's usually one of two reasons: (a) she didn't get a bid or recruitment didn't go the way she'd hoped (b) she's having way too much fun with her new sisters and with school and she's forgotten us.

Sigh.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-20-2015, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to hear about Round 2!