GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,378
2 members and 2,376 guests
navane

Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Ideas for dues/information

I am currently treasurer of my sorority and our finance system is below par. I have looked into online services and actually began to use it for the chapter, which so far has been going great. My question is how do you all set up when dues are due? We currently do not have a system and most people rack up a lot of money owed and pay it off at the end of the semester which makes it very hard to collect any "spending" money.
Also, girls order t-shirts and miscellaneous items and wait to pay for that as well is there any way to enforce paying for those items within a certain time period?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You might need to overhaul your financial policies (in conjunction with your finance council/exec committee, however your sorority is set up to change policies). It sounds like you need some firm deadlines for dues and other payments. When I was an undergrad, dues were due monthly at the first chapter. If we bought extra stuff, such as party pics or t-shirts, payment was due at the time of the order. If we didn't pay when we ordered, our name was dropped from the order. You also need set consequences when sisters are delinquent in finances. If a sister is delinquent in payments, she is not in good standing and therefore loses some of the privileges of membership. This includes social probation, loss of voting privileges, being sent to standards board, etc. If someone owes you a significant amount of money, then perhaps they are dropped from the active membership and sent to collections.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

We were on the quarter system and most people paid their dues in full the second chapter meeting of each quarter. If you were on a payment plan, you usually had 3 payments in the quarter, beginning with that second chapter and then every 2 weeks. We didn't have many problems, but sisters who weren't up to date on their payments couldn't attend any sorority events until they were. You could even take this up a notch--if it is required to attend chapter meetings and there is any kind of consequence for not attending (a fine, not going to events, whatever), then don't allow sisters who aren't up to date with payments to attend meeting.

With shirts, paraphernalia, etc. it's pretty simple--they don't get the item until they have paid for it. And yes, if they don't pay at the time of order for something that's ordered in advance, don't order their item. They'll learn quickly.

Perhaps you or another exec member should give a little chat to the chapter about how it's not fair to wait to pay until the end--if they want events, they need to pay, you can't do anything without money, whatever.