GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,430
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, samanthaooglet8
» Online Users: 2,488
0 members and 2,488 guests
No Members online

Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

This was posted on Facebook today. I can't find any other info.
"Come check out all the sororities at Recruitment Roundtable, this Wednesday from 5:00 - 8:30 in MGC 2-6!"

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 11-01-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-30-2011, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Emma's update and tips for Auburn PNMs

Emma had a great freshman year! She loves Auburn, she loves her sorority, and has met a lot of new friends. She is up at Auburn this summer and is working hard in her classes and looking forward to being on the other side of recruitment.

I asked her for a few tips for Auburn PNMs. Here is a brief summary of what she told me:

1) Rec letters! Rec letters! Rec letters! If you don't already have most them done by now, you're behind. At Auburn, they start coming in from alum as early as the end of spring, and they pour in all summer. With the large numbers of PNMs at Auburn, it will be really hard to get the attention of a group without a rec letter.

2) In her opinion, there are no weak sororities at Auburn. Give each one your full attention and put an effort into making a great impression on each one.

3) Sell yourself! The sororities really want to hear about your involvements and achievements. Tell them what you did in high school and what you're passionate about.

4) Pref day=black dress. Will you be the only one NOT wearing one? Probably not...but not all attention is good attention and this is one case in which you DON'T want to be different. (My note here: This is coming from a non-conformist!)

5) Try not to listen to stereotypes and rumors about sororities b/c many reputations are outdated, or are inaccurate b/c they are based on a few people's opinions. Also, reputations and identities of a chapter can turn around and completely change with one pledge class.

6) Bring a tote bag. You'll need it.

7) Take notes. They WILL start to blend together.

8) Try to relax and just be yourself. Act how you would around close friends.

She looks forward to seeing all the beautiful and amazing girls coming through recruitment this Fall.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:34 PM

I'm so glad Emma is happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnDad View Post
4) Pref day=black dress. Will you be the only one NOT wearing one? Probably not...but not all attention is good attention and this is one case in which you DON'T want to be different. (My note here: This is coming from a non-conformist!)
This is the only thing I'd question. (Note: I come from a northern school where recruitment was nowhere near as competitive as at Auburn.) When I was an active, we had one chapter that wore white and four that wore black ... and it would help a PNM stand out if she were wearing, let's say, blue (at the time no chapter on campus had blue as a color), or a print.

Then again, I'm a non-conformist too.

Nothing wrong with black, though. The "little black dress" has been a staple of women's wardrobes for as long back as I can remember, and it is so easy to accessorize.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

auburndad, thanks for the update on emma. so glad to hear that she is doing well and is happy.

please thank her for the wonderful Auburn advice she shared. hopefully those new war eagles will heed her words. good luck to emma and her sisters!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is also an active member at Auburn and she agrees that a black or mostly black dress is best for pref. She has also needed that black dress for other events and has worn it to formal chapter quite a bit. She said that you definitely do not want a bright color that stands out too much.

Great advice from Emma! Hope she has a great recruitment on the other side this year!

Last edited by pam713; 07-01-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yay for Emma! She'll love rushing on the sister side.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam713 View Post
My daughter is also an active member at Auburn and she agrees that a black or mostly black dress is best for pref. She has also needed that black dress for other events and has worn it to formal chapter quite a bit. She said that you definitely do not want a bright color that stands out too much.

Great advice from Emma! Hope she has a great recruitment on the other side this year!
Should they go with a plain black sheath dress, or black with some kind of detailing to it? What about accessories?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Is it wrong that whenever I read a thread like this, I start thinking about which dresses in my own closet I'd wear to each round? Some crazy level of my brain wants to know whether detailing on the dress is OK so I can decide whether this dress will work. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nPmUQlRvce...ment+Dress.jpg
Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Ooh, that's cute! Which store is it from?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Banned

Anthropologie. Perfect for imaginary rush, no?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to return to this site. Emma, who pledged DZ at Auburn last year, had a wonderful year. She was very excited to return to Auburn this week and move in with her sisters.
If anyone can provide any advice on her first recruitment on the other side, I'd appreciate it. This, too, is a new experience for them.
I can't wait to hear new stories.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Anthropologie. Perfect for imaginary rush, no?
You'd be at the top of my bid list. And you're not wrong. I do the same thing when I am shopping in a store. I see things and think to myself "Self, that would be PERFECT for Ice Water Teas. Wish I was 18 again and a size 6."

If I knew then what I know now...

But I got the outcome I most desired, so I guess if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAZD2001 View Post
You'd be at the top of my bid list. And you're not wrong. I do the same thing when I am shopping in a store. I see things and think to myself "Self, that would be PERFECT for Ice Water Teas. Wish I was 18 again and a size 6."

If I knew then what I know now...

But I got the outcome I most desired, so I guess if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't change a thing.
it never gets out of our systems!!

AUMom2, when i was a recruitment adviser, at the beginning of every new recruitment season, i would tell my girls that all i asked of them was to make sure that the pnm left with a good impression of ZTA-the chapter would not be the right fit for everyone, but if the girl left thinking,"what a great group of young women", then i would consider they had done a good job.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
AUMom2, when i was a recruitment adviser, at the beginning of every new recruitment season, i would tell my girls that all i asked of them was to make sure that the pnm left with a good impression of ZTA-the chapter would not be the right fit for everyone, but if the girl left thinking,"what a great group of young women", then i would consider they had done a good job.
FSUZeta, I love that!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta, I told my daughter exactly what you said. She said, "Thanks, that sounds like great advice." Thanks!