GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,439
1 members and 1,438 guests
MSKKG

Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I can't imagine that telling someone "Magda, your jeans are too tight and that green polo makes you look like Kermit" lessens any of the stress of rush.
LMAO.... Kermit... hah hah hah
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2006, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post
True, but I think if at all possible, advisors should be paired up with similar systems that they are used to. We had the problem with my chapter, as a lot of people are unaware how a commuter school with a small greek system with locals that don't participate in FR have to go about doing things differnt from a non-commuter school/school that doesn't have the problem with locals, etc.
Buttonz, volunteers don't grow on trees. You usually have to take what you can get.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designergal3 View Post
ok that is being wayyy too superficial and image concious... not to mention a bit psycho. If i rushed at a house where the girls all dressed exactly the same, and I'd guess LOOKED the same, I think i would have run out screaming.
Gee it's just for rush! And everybody wearing the same thing is WAY less stressful than choosing an outfit and going through dress check or "Charm Board" or whatever your chapter calls it and being told the outfit won't work, or the pink is the wrong shade, or the shoes are too worn out. WAY back in the day...this was like 1972...we decided to all wear different outfits for rush to show that we were individuals. Turns out everybody hated it. It was too hard to tell who the sorority member was and who the rushees were.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Buttonz, volunteers don't grow on trees. You usually have to take what you can get.
That's why I said if it was possible to happen

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 PM
ADPiZXalum

I hate dirty rushing. I heard MANY times girls drop out because XYZ promised them they'd be in their sorority and they got cut by them after Round 2. My favorite was hearing girls come back later and tell us, "I really liked your chapter and would've joined but ABC (the group they joined) told me you guys were getting kicked off campus."
Old 09-22-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiZXalum View Post
I hate dirty rushing. I heard MANY times girls drop out because XYZ promised them they'd be in their sorority and they got cut by them after Round 2. My favorite was hearing girls come back later and tell us, "I really liked your chapter and would've joined but ABC (the group they joined) told me you guys were getting kicked off campus."
This reminds me of my school. When I was at Arkansas State, our Kappa Delta and Zeta Tau Alpha chapters were both struggling with numbers. One chapter on campus kept telling pnms that both of the chapters were going to close. Unfortunately that has happened. But, guess who is the struggling chapter now? That's right: the chapter that kept spreading rumors about KD and ZTA.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I figured I'd bump this because my question is about dirty rushing.
So...
Is it considered un-Panhellenic to advertise sorority events that won't take place until the school year, now in July, when no other group/organization is even on campus? Is this considered dirty rushing or just...bending the rules a bit? I understand wanting to get out your sorority but, when no one but potential rushee's are on campus?

Here's my question, when is is considered 'dirty'? What have y'all done with this kind of situation? I just don't know if it's really an offense.
Go Chi O!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillady85 View Post
So...
Is it considered un-Panhellenic to advertise sorority events that won't take place until the school year, now in July, when no other group/organization is even on campus? Is this considered dirty rushing or just...bending the rules a bit? I understand wanting to get out your sorority but, when no one but potential rushee's are on campus?

Here's my question, when is is considered 'dirty'? What have y'all done with this kind of situation? I just don't know if it's really an offense.
I'd say just ask your campus Panhellenic, since they all have different rules regarding what is "dirty rushing" and what isn't.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillady85 View Post
So...

That's kind of interesting. VioletPretty is right that your CPC will know for sure, but it sounds like it could either be a good PR move to get the word out about your group to PNMs (if for example, it was a philanthropic event you were advertising) or it could be in really bad taste if it made all GLO look like wild partiers or something.

If it's allowed, all the groups will just need to do it next year.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't see why it would be against the rules to advertise an event that won't be held for several months... but the question is, is your target audience even on campus right now and will your time and effort be wasted? Definitely check with the campus Panhellenic.

But common sense suggests that you aren't holding any events during the silence period, and you should be allowed to generally promote your organization to the campus-at-large 365 days a year.

Oh and as a follow up to my original post, our PNM happily pledged her first choice (ZTA) at Baylor and is loving her sorority and university!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
I can't see why it would be against the rules to advertise an event that won't be held for several months... but the question is, is your target audience even on campus right now and will your time and effort be wasted?
I'm guessing that their target audience (freshmen) is on campus right now, for orientation.

It's actually a good idea, but it would be better to promote Panhel in general rather than one sorority doing it individually. But hey, if they thought of it first....
Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess it depends on what and how you are advertising.

The sororities at my school used to put up home-made banners during the summer orientation that would say things like, "ADPi welcomes you to UCF!" and "Tri-Delta <3's UCF" or even "Sorority Recruitment Forum: UCF Arena 8/24 @ 3 PM" outside of our houses or around campus. I don't see how that could be construed as dirty rushing.

ETA... I even think a direct mail piece shouldn't be considered dirty either, if its purpose was to invite you to a future event. But if the message's purpose is to acquaint a non-affiliated woman with your sorority during the silence period, I think that would be considered not only unusual, but also a bit suspect. So I think if it's a simple "You're invited to a tea at XYZ! DATE/TIME, etc.," then that should be fine. I wouldn't suggest an RSVP mechanism until after silence has ended. And I woudn't suggest any literature about XYZ sorority being distributed directly to a PNM by XYZ sorority-- the campus Panhellenic is doing this with their recruitment materials, anyway.

You can, however, sneak your web URL onto any advertisments-- your web site would include all kinds of info about the organization and recruitment, etc.

And I agree, if you thought of it first, and it's a general public announcement in the school paper, a banner, etc., go for it... as long as you're not breaking any personal contact rules for the purpose of acquainting non-affiliated with your sorority, there should be no problem. But as a show of good faith, it doesn't hurt to loop in your chapter adviser and the campus Greek adviser before you act.

Last edited by adpiucf; 07-19-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!
That was my question, if it was considered dirty which we didn't know since all the pnm's are on campus right now. Being that the sign essentially says "XYZ (this is our event three months from now in tiny letters). Props to them for doing it first, but I think someone already told panhel and more signs have gone up.
Go Chi O!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Okay so the whole dirty rush thing I'm unsure about since I went through an informal rush. But I'm so confused... here's my situation...

My cousin & I are really close & he's coming to my University in the fall. He has a new girlfriend & I've been spending a lot of time with her. She introduced me to some of her friends who will also be coming to my school, all super cute girls. A few of them were at a family party with my cousin & I had some of my sisters visiting at the time. They asked about the school & sororities in general. Now they are really interesting in rushing in the fall.

One of my friends at a different school said that they would consider that dirty rushing since it would be suspected that we convinced these girls to go through rush.

Personally I think it's BS. Who's to say that they actually will go through with rush, or that they will choose to rush my sorority. There were no gifts given or antying & everything was just by a matter of chance. These girls are now friends, so am I supposed to cut myself off from them for giving them a biase. I don't think that's fair at all.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

[whining]

I understand the need to take precautions against dirty rushing, but dang! It really sucks not being able to talk to your friends or hang-out during the last free month before school starts. I was totally looking forward to a few more girls nights before recruitment started to relax. Not that we'd talk about recruitment or anything related, but all girls know that being around a group of friends when you're a bundle of nerves is completely therapuetic

Can't imagine what gamma chi's have to go through!

[/whining]