GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,448
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Theanex
» Online Users: 2,395
2 members and 2,393 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 07-23-2012, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

There's also a big difference between being a size zero and morbidly obese. Most girls are somewhere between, even in top houses. She needs to keep an open mind and open heart and find the chapter that really wants her for who she is.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
I too saw it as an attack on the OP. Mom: you have to understand that weight-y issues can be a hot button for some people.

Bottom line: If a house wants only size 0 girls your daughter might not fit in there. Your self confident daughter will do fine. You helped make her that way...self confident. There are times when it is harder on the moms than the daughters .
All this! OP please keep us posted on your daughter - this is always tougher on the Mamas than on the daughters. We're rooting for her!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

It amazes me how some sorority women on these boards attack posters. The majority don't but those "snarky" women really give sorority women a bad name. Mom, I completely understand your fears and hope and pray she finds her sisterhood. Please keep us posted and if you need to talk to another mom, please feel free to pm me. there really are some very caring women on here. You just have to ignore the women who have nothing better to attack others.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I am chiming in: Good luck to your daughter!!! I hope she has a wonderful recruitment and a fabulous time in college. Keep us posted...AFTER recruitment.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 PM

No one "attacked" her. Think of how you would feel at age 18 if your mother wrote on a message board for all the world to see that she was worried you were going to fail at something because of your weight. I would be mortified if my mother said such things to our next door neighbor, let alone the whole internet.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkturtles View Post
It amazes me how some sorority women on these boards attack posters. The majority don't but those "snarky" women really give sorority women a bad name. Mom, I completely understand your fears and hope and pray she finds her sisterhood. Please keep us posted and if you need to talk to another mom, please feel free to pm me. there really are some very caring women on here. You just have to ignore the women who have nothing better to attack others.
No one attacked you lady, you overreacted in that thread last fall. You also hold onto a grudge longer than can be healthy. Good luck to your daughter.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

We just bought a cute black dress for preference. It looks great and she feels good in it. Now she just needs to find shoes she can walk in. She wants to put all of her outfits into ziplock bags so they are all together. I will keep you all posted.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2girls View Post
We just bought a cute black dress for preference. It looks great and she feels good in it. Now she just needs to find shoes she can walk in. She wants to put all of her outfits into ziplock bags so they are all together. I will keep you all posted.
Yes to this! Clear plastic garmet bags work best. All those years of dance recitals...this is one thing my daughter has down pat.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

That's how I packed clothes for my kids when they were little and we were going on a trip. Those itty bitty socks are so easy to lose! It sounds like a great idea for recruitment too! Eliminates the possibility that the earrings the PNM wanted to wear for round 2 parties are not buried somewhere and can't be found, not to mention the possible freak out if the earrings are not found!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

When my daughter went through 2 years ago I did a similar thing. Packed each outfit in a clear garment bag. We labeled them with which party they were for. We also attached the jewelry in little tie jewelry bags (I had saved my ones from J Crew) and also attached the shoes. Before we went we took a pic of my daughter all dressed as if she was going to that party and attached it as well. Also sent a couple of different dress choices for each party..just in case! I knew it was going to be stressful (she went through on a VERY competitive campus) and we wanted to make sure that she was as organized as possible. She has said over and over again how great it was and we have suggested it to many.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just bought an adorable pair of ballet flats from Clarks that are super comfy. Maybe something along those lines?

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorgal View Post
Yes to this! Clear plastic garmet bags work best. All those years of dance recitals...this is one thing my daughter has down pat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphapimommy View Post
When my daughter went through 2 years ago I did a similar thing. Packed each outfit in a clear garment bag. We labeled them with which party they were for. We also attached the jewelry in little tie jewelry bags (I had saved my ones from J Crew) and also attached the shoes. Before we went we took a pic of my daughter all dressed as if she was going to that party and attached it as well. Also sent a couple of different dress choices for each party..just in case! I knew it was going to be stressful (she went through on a VERY competitive campus) and we wanted to make sure that she was as organized as possible. She has said over and over again how great it was and we have suggested it to many.
I *heart* Greek Chat! I get recipes, Pinterest, and now packing tips? Too good to be true!

Personally, I swear by Eagle Creek's pack-it system (I used to travel/work in Asia and for more reasons than I can list it's wise to pack things in containers), but this idea is so awesome and perfect for recruitment. So excited, I learned something useful this morning and haven't even finished my first cup of coffee.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The clear bags is a great idea. My 2nd daughter is going thru recruitment this year, and while she wants to rush, she is not one to prepare too far ahead. This would be a big help to her.