GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,290
1 members and 2,289 guests
Xidelt

Old 12-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfi View Post
Am I understanding correctly that if you were in a local sorority that you are still eligible for a NPC. I was in a local sorority for a semester but the ethics on campus were appalling and I did not want to be affiliated with such a group so it was a voluntary de-affiliation not forced.
You are still eligible for a NPC group as far as the NPC group's written rules are concerned.

Whether the NPC chapters on your campus will consider you a viable candidate for membership is another matter entirely.

p.s. I would also delete your other post.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My Alma Mater when to delayed rush, and the sorority chapters are half the size they used to be. Having fall rush encourages young women to pledge a sorority to be busy, have a group of friends, etc... When rush is deferred, many already have found their cliques, groups outside of the greek system.

I think there are strong reasons for deferring (especially at big schools with so many sororities), but it certainly does hinder the numbers.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
My Alma Mater when to delayed rush, and the sorority chapters are half the size they used to be. Having fall rush encourages young women to pledge a sorority to be busy, have a group of friends, etc... When rush is deferred, many already have found their cliques, groups outside of the greek system.

I think there are strong reasons for deferring (especially at big schools with so many sororities), but it certainly does hinder the numbers.
But do the women who pledge usually stay active throughout their senior year? Are the majority of the members active and happy with their choice?

I would rather have 40 sisters who are all involved and participating to the fullest than a chapter of 100 where half are just "jacket sisters" who only participate in the barest minimum to keep from getting kicked out.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

when are you initiated...after the new membership trial period?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

So...a question: (I suspect that I know the answer but this is confusing). Girl A accepts a bid for a colony chapter of a national sorority. Two weeks later decides that it isn't "right" for her. Has a friend in a top house, a new member, not an active. New friend supposedly invites her to COB in a house that has met quota. Mom calls Panhellenic (adult advisor) who tells mom that daughter can COB (right now) or rush (in spring). Can someone accept a bid, depledge and the accept a bid within a month period with the exception being made because this is a colony?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
So...a question: (I suspect that I know the answer but this is confusing). Girl A accepts a bid for a colony chapter of a national sorority. Two weeks later decides that it isn't "right" for her. Has a friend in a top house, a new member, not an active. New friend supposedly invites her to COB in a house that has met quota. Mom calls Panhellenic (adult advisor) who tells mom that daughter can COB (right now) or rush (in spring). Can someone accept a bid, depledge and the accept a bid within a month period with the exception being made because this is a colony?
One of my friends joined a colony in spring, quit, and rushed again the next fall. I think the exception is made because it isn't an officially chartered chapter (that is, there is still the chance it might cease to be before it really begins). I'd be more concerned about the bid that the full house seemingly pulled out of its bum.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:52 PM

I believe my situation is a little unique and would like ANY information/advice. I was in a sorority at my school (but it is not nationally panhellenic), was initiated and was active for a short period of time before deactivating because I was not satisfied with how the sorority was run and was individually harassed by another sister. Now, quite a while later, I am offered to rush an NPC sorority. Need help as to what to do with/how to approach my former national sorority because I would really like to pursue this new sorority.

Last edited by csilver7; 12-21-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csilver7 View Post
I believe my situation is a little unique and would like ANY information/advice. I was in a sorority at my school (the only chapter in the southeast, one of only 26 in the nation, and not nationally panhellenic or panhellenic at my school), was initiated and was active for a short period of time before deactivating because I was not satisfied with how the sorority was run and was individually harassed by another sister. Now, quite a while later, I am offered to rush an NPC sorority. Need help as to what to do with/how to approach my former national sorority because I would really like to pursue this new sorority.
So instead of trying resolve your issues with your sister or trying to take on a leadership role, you decided to quit? Why would you want to join another organization? Because you might have the same issues there.

Also learn discretion, I was able to figure out the sorority with five minutes of research based on your post.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 PM

Dear Psi_U_MC_Vito, I have sent you a private message. Please read and don't be too quick to judge people you don't know.

Also, this sorority is panhellenic at a couple of universities around the country, so I was a little unsure as to my situation.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Being members of a Campus Panhellenic is not the same as being a member of NPC.
So what can this mean for me? I'm sorry for so many questions I'm just very curious.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csilver7 View Post
So what can this mean for me? I'm sorry for so many questions I'm just very curious.
It means there is no NPC rules against you pledging, but individual chapters might have a rule against members being part of another sorority. And also, they might be hesitant to give you a bid even if they are allowed to.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

If you became an active sister, you may require a formal resignation before you can join another group on campus.

For instance, in Alpha Omega Epsilon, you need to fill out the Voluntary Deactivation of a Candidate/Active (depending on your status) and turn in all your membership materials.

If you formally resigned, you should then be eligible, unless your campus panhellenic has a rule that you are bound to any chapter of PHA (rather than just NPC) for a year after accepting a bid.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
If you became an active sister, you may require a formal resignation before you can join another group on campus.

For instance, in Alpha Omega Epsilon, you need to fill out the Voluntary Deactivation of a Candidate/Active (depending on your status) and turn in all your membership materials.

If you formally resigned, you should then be eligible, unless your campus panhellenic has a rule that you are bound to any chapter of PHA (rather than just NPC) for a year after accepting a bid.
Thank you very much, this has helped me a lot! I'm really glad this group is here, because I wouldn't know what to do if I had to do this on my own. =)