GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 878
0 members and 878 guests
No Members online

Old 06-23-2005, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice on switching majors

Hi all,
Right now i'm a sophomore (well...6 credits shy of being a junior) Biology Major. I really liked the idea of becoming a forensic scientist (like from CSI) but now that I think about it...that is not my passion anymore, and I really don't think I want to continue doing that. I've had some challenging classes, but i dont enjoy the subject anymore, so there really is no point in continuing if i dont enjoy it. So now i'm looking to switch majors.

I've always had ideas of doing other things, but I really don't know which major would really suit me.

--I've always wanted to be a band teacher..so i thought of music education

--I've always wanted to be a lawyer...so i thought of political science

--I also thought of radio/tv broadcasting.

But I really dont know what to do. Do you all have any advice on what I should do? What are y'alls majors? What classes do you have to take for your major?

I've tried to look at my university's webiste, btu there really is not really a lot of useful information. The useful information is from the university that is 45 minutes away (but in another state).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Do you want a degree that you can work with now or are you planning on furthering your education?

If you want a terminal bachelor's degree, I have NO idea what to tell ya!

However, if you want a general degree that will prepare you for lots of opportunities in the future, I would go with humanities of some sort: English, Foreign Language, History, etc.

In fact, numerous surveys have indicated that bosses prefer for people with excellent writing and speaking skills (more so, sometimes, than people with specialized bachelor's degrees -- they're seen as more trainable). These skills will also serve you in teaching, politics, law and broadcasting.

Personally, I changed my major 50 million times. The result is an A.A. in Business Administration and a B.A. in English. Now, I'm a graduate student in Theology and will go onto to a second master's in History. And, perhaps, a Ph.D. in English or History so I can be a professor.

You will ALWAYS be better off going after your passion even if people around you think it's silly. If you love something, you can make it work for you.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I changed my major three times.

preciousjeni's advice is good. Employers are looking for people with Arts degrees. You should major in something you enjoy. Liberal Arts degrees are good because they can get you access into numerous career fields.

Also, if all you want in the end is a job, look at Community College. They are highly underrated and will provide you with hands on marketable skills that employers look for.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
Do you want a degree that you can work with now or are you planning on furthering your education?
Well...i had planned on going to graduate school, but as it is we (meaning my parents and I) can barely afford to keep me in our local university here, I doubt that i'd be able to go to grad school in the near future.

I like the fact that our neighboring university has a lot of "out-there" degrees...like one in fashion merchandising (where you can potentionally become a fashion buyer/designer..etc)..but the thing is teh cost issue (mainly for room and board). UGH!

Thank you guys for your advice...its all giving me something to really consider before this next semester starts!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pixell
One thing that might effect what major you switch to might be how many credits you'll lose by switching. Are most of the courses you've taken so far major-specific or general education? Since you said that money is a concern for college you might not want to change to a drastically different major because it very well might set you back a year or two.

Good luck!
Most of my classes have been general education. I have taken a few science courses that are general education but oriented for "science majors." So I dont think that transferring is going to be drastic...i might lose a few credits, but that is why i rather do it now, instead of a year down the road.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
In that case, have you considered going the trade route? As Lady Pi Phi suggested, community colleges have excellent vocational programs that will get you out there in the world. If you can find something you enjoy, you can use it to help support you as you try to experiment with other educational opportunities.

It might slow you down a bit, but at least you will be able to really contribute to the funding of your education and you won't be quite as restricted. It is REALLY difficult to find a bachelor's degree program that will end up in a job that can support you. The only ones that have true potential to do that are professional ones and even those expect that you will go on to a higher degree.

ETA: EXCEPT if you want to teach. If you truly want to do that, you could either get the degree in the subject you want to teach and then go through the procedure to get certified. Or, you can get an education degree and concentrate/minor in the subject you want to teach. That way, the school will be able to assist you in gaining certification. I think the one downside (my mother was an education major) is that you don't have as solid a foundation in the subject you want to teach.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 06-23-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

i feel like you are missing the most obvious answer...maybe its my old age...

If you chose something in forensic science, there is something that led you down that path. CSI is fun, exciting and cool for all of us that don't uderstand it! And you are in the know!

Maybe that isn't your passion, but you are so close to graduation that it makes sense to fulfill your credit hours. Then go to law school. You can graduate from law school and practice forensic science cases in trial. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

If you switch majors, you run the risk of having to take another year, depending on how many credits transfer. I agree with jaime though. If you want to be a lawyer, you don't really need a BA in political science. In fact, I think law schools would appreciate your biology minor, since so many applicants are political science or philosophy majors (I heard somewhere that philosophy majors tend to have higher LSAT scores than others).
Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaEtaKP
I would say... Go for Political Science... j/k I am a little biased b/c that is my major. At my school, though a major is only 30 hours (ish) so if you have been taking gen eds, then transferring to another major should be no problem. I am almost finished w/ my major and I just started it a year ago. Then again, I don't know your school's requirements. Do what makes you HAPPY. If it does take another year, then it does. I understand how tight money can be but if your being happy relies on it, it is worth it. I'm sure that if you are determined enough, you will be successful and will be able to pay back any loans. They give you a pretty long time to pay them back.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

keep in mind that you can be any major and go to law school. Being a poli sci major doesn't really prepare you at all for law school (besides maybe a con law class, but even then no big advantage). This is coming from someone who one of her majors was poli sci I had 3 majors b/c I couldn't make up my mind- history, poli sci, and communications. It's not that hard to multiple major or switch majors if you plan it well
Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Banned

Keep your major and don't be foolish.

How does political science even prepare you for being a lawyer?

-Rudey
Old 06-24-2005, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

The problem w/ poli sci as a major is that if you don't get into law school, what can you fall back on for a job?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I majored in Political Science and didn't go to law school. doing fine with my job. It's the analytical skills that you pick up that is the key.

I also have MA in International Relations (thesis in Political Economy)
Old 06-24-2005, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Did you go straight through to get your Master's?

edited 'cause i can't type today

Last edited by WCUgirl; 06-24-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
Did you go straight through to get your Master's?

edited 'cause i can't type today
Yup