GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,711
0 members and 1,711 guests
No Members online

Old 06-06-2005, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

recs

I am a sophomore going through rush. I went through last year and had recs for every single sorority on campus, but I did not pledge. Do I need to get new recs or are they good for a generation(4 years)?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2005, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I would assume yes.

I think that it would be asking a lot to think that last year's recs were kept. They were probably all shredded.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I would agree, you probably need to get new ones. We never kept anything from previous rushes.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

As the head adviser of a DG chapter I can tell you it is DG's policy to destroy recommendations on any woman that did not pledge DG after the end of formal recruitment. If the chapter is eligible for Continuous Recruitment then we are instructed to keep the recommendations until our chapter has reached total or one year which ever is sooner.

So, if you have a DG chapter you definitely need a new rec for them. I would guess most sororities have similar policies.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twhrider13
I would definitely get new ones. I've seen old recs floating around in some of my chapter's recruitment stuff, but I wouldn't count on anyone remembering who it belongs to, or being able to find it in a pinch. With all the recruitment stuff chapters have to keep up with, old recs would probably be a difficult thing to dig up, assuming that, like other posters have said, they were not destroyed in the first place.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Just get more. Even if chapters did keep them around, I would think it'd look good on you if they saw you took the initiative and were interested enough to get them a second time.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment records (applications, recs, membership selection documents) are destroyed after each recruitment.

You need to get new recommendations if you are going through another recruitment.

Contact your hometown's Alumnae Panhellenic, talk to teachers, relatives and friends about your goals to go Greek and you will be able to secure new recs. Some GC members will also be willing to help you find a recommender or write an info-rec.

Please make sure you follow up with a personal thank you note to each of your recommenders. No one will be offended if you didn't bid their sorority-- thank you notes are the right thing to do and an essential on a sorority woman's list of things to do.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Our policy is to shred immediately following recruitment, too. Most definitely get new recs!