GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,433
3 members and 2,430 guests
3DGator, Phrozen Sands, zagelpitto2616

Old 09-29-2003, 12:15 AM

well, as far as Katie is concerned, she seems to be losing IQ points at a rapid rate, so I wouldn't be too upset by anything she said.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
OK. Let me see if I understand this. We all sit around and complain that famous Greeks don't ever mention their affiliation -- then, when a pretty famous woman does talk about it twice on the most watched national network morning show, we take her to task.

Do you really think for a minute that she joined the sorority for the food? Those people are quipsters -- and anything she may have said, taken out of context, could be taken incorrectly.

I think a better way to feel is that she is willing to mention her sorority. Nobody forced her to you know. And nobody forced her to go back to the house and chat with the sisters at UVA a couple of years ago.

I'd give her a break.
Ditto.

A lot of people would complain that the media has an anti-Greek bias. One of the nation's foremost TV personalities--who's probably very familiar with that bias-- speaks in a non-negative way about her sorority experience, and people trash her like she called it a so-whority or something. Let's all take a deep breath and take a chill pill!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
well, as far as Katie is concerned, she seems to be losing IQ points at a rapid rate, so I wouldn't be too upset by anything she said.
She's probably pretty tired after getting up to go to work at 2:00 AM all these years, losing a husband to cancer and raising her children while holding down those hours and all of the other public appearances people in that line of work have to do.

In my personal and professional opinion, she is heads above any of the other women on the morning shows. At least she came up through the ranks as a reporter -- not a pretty faced, anchor helmeted (big hair) news reader.

I can vividly remember seeing her sitting in the front row of the daily media briefing during Desert Storm while VERY pregnant.

She is a journalist -- something you can't say about all TV personalities.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:52 PM

Ok, lets get a Tri Delt on this topic.

Katie pledged as either a junior or a senior (I can't really remember, its not like we have Katie Couric 101 during our new member period). Regardless of why she wanted to join, she did.
Lets assume she did say "Because I hated dorm food"(btw, can anyone verify she said that- with a date and time and whatnot, because this is EXACUTLY how rumors start). Its called 'justification'. When I was pledging, I got some shite from people, and I was all pretending I was doing it 'for the connections' or some BS like that. I don't even remember. But somewhere along the line, I started LOVING my SISTERS.
Back to Katie, she is still active in Tri Delta. So while she may have pledged because she hated the food, she obviously started loving it too, because she still mentions Tri Delta.
And BTW- 33girl- don't knock any of my sisters.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

*ducking and wishing I had never said anything!*
Old 09-29-2003, 02:01 PM

Awww DolphinChica, don't be offended. I just think Katie is trying too hard to act younger than her age - which I somewhat understand given her circumstances - but when it's played out on TV you can look kinda silly.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Katie Couric went to the camp I work at when she was just a little girl... She talked about it once on the air - when my former camp director and the assistant camp director were in NYC for an ACA Conference, they went to they Today show and had signs and jackets that said Camp Potomac Woods on them - and Katie talked about how much fun she had at camp when she was younger.

Ok, that was kind of random but I wanted to share my story.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:58 PM
wreckingcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
She's probably pretty tired after getting up to go to work at 2:00 AM all these years, losing a husband to cancer and raising her children while holding down those hours and all of the other public appearances people in that line of work have to do.

In my personal and professional opinion, she is heads above any of the other women on the morning shows. At least she came up through the ranks as a reporter -- not a pretty faced, anchor helmeted (big hair) news reader.

I can vividly remember seeing her sitting in the front row of the daily media briefing during Desert Storm while VERY pregnant.

She is a journalist -- something you can't say about all TV personalities.
Well put DA.

And just to comment on what you said before. I'd LOVE if Harrison Ford or Bob Barker said in an interview, " yeah i was a Sigma Nu in college, great times."

I understand that the Greek experience isn't as strong in all as some, but it'd be nice to hear one of our supposed 'famous alums' actually mention their time in SNu.

Kitso
KS 361
Old 09-29-2003, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD

Lets assume she did say "Because I hated dorm food"(btw, can anyone verify she said that- with a date and time and whatnot, because this is EXACUTLY how rumors start).
I read this quote somewhere a few years back, but can't remember in which publication. It just stuck in my mind because I was intrigued and have wondered, until now, what sorority Katie Couric was a member of.

And speaking of Today show anchors, I've heard through the Kappa rumor mill that Jane Pauley won't respond to requests for quotes or information from our national magazine, or from Alumnae Associations. Oops! Now I'm spreading the rumors!

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 09-30-2003, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Quote:
Originally posted by KerriMarie
Katie Couric went to the camp I work at when she was just a little girl... She talked about it once on the air - when my former camp director and the assistant camp director were in NYC for an ACA Conference, they went to they Today show and had signs and jackets that said Camp Potomac Woods on them - and Katie talked about how much fun she had at camp when she was younger.

Ok, that was kind of random but I wanted to share my story.
OMG!!! I remember going to Camp Potomac Woods! Wow. Way to bring back too many memories of Girl Scouts and cleaning latrines...