GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,249
3 members and 1,246 guests
Cookiez17, LaneSig

Old 06-14-2000, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, if you felt I was "tooting my own horn", as you so eloquently state it, that certainly was not my intentions. I was not totally sure of the time or even the national organization. And also, on the West Coast, many of the NPC and NIC groups were integrated earlier than 1956, because many of the BGLO's were not installed at that point. Like I said, I am trying to learn as much as possible about all Greek letter organizations, forgive me if I get a few facts wrong, but I'm learning. :-)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-14-2000, 10:01 PM
sadeluv

Prettygyrl,
I was by no means trying to put myself above anyone. Nevertheless, you are on a GREEK website and you are not Greek, which is okay. So you shouldn't get offended if someone says, "How can she tell me how to run my organization, she isn't even in a Greek organization."

But, there is a difference in having an opinion, and speaking as if you have experience. It's all about perception. First of all, when I first saw your name, I assumed you were an AKA, maybe I should not have assumed, but this is a Greek chatline. Second of all, you are talking about what you would do in certain situations, Greek oriented situations. I assumed you had been through similar instances before.

What if I went to an AA (Alcohol Anonymous) meeting claiming to have all the solutions, and they asked me had I ever been an alcoholic, and I say "No." Realistically, how does that make me look? People are more apt to listen to you if they feel that you have good knowledge of what your talking about, especially experience.

Opinions alone are nice, but sometimes you need to have the experience to back up that opinion. Especially when talking about businesses or Greek organizations. (Yes, Greek organizations are businesses)
Old 06-14-2000, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Mgdzkm433 said: "I don't think you should join a BGLO because you are black or join a GLO because you are white, you should join them for what they stand for, not for what color they are based on. If you support research for breast cancer and that is important to you, join XYZ because that is their philanthropy, If you like Animal Rights, join TRQ because they help out at the local shelter. THAT is what they were formed FOR."

I understand what you're saying, but it goes deeper than that. One of the main focuses of a BGLO is being Black and working to improve the Black community. Our community is our philanthropy. Our community is what we stand for. Anyone who joins a BLGO has to have a commitment and a willingness to work to improve our community's worst conditions. If that makes it a color issue, so be it.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 06-15-2000, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I suppose sade that if you went to a AAA meeting and you were not an alcholic, but yet claim to have ANY solutions it would mean that you have researched it, known some alcoholics, feel that it affects you in some kind of way and obviously care enuff to offer a solution. Just because you have never taken a drink does not mean you do not care about the cause! I have no idea why yu thought i was an AKA I never claimed to be greek. I always said "if i was" or "if I am honored to be one"! I have NEVER claimed to have all the solutions to anyones problems. I can offer one to whoever if i care enuff about the situation! This is a greek forum that non-greeks can post in and if there was a greek who wanted just all greeks to respond i would assume they would make that clear or just not post in a public forum! Greek or not this issue affects me. I did not come in here and offer greeks tips on their strolls or how to conduct their rushes etc etc. I am just posting my feelings on white in bglos. Why on earth would i have to be greek to do that? Everyone here knows I am not greek but really what does it matter? If you think that what i say is not credible then why even bother to read it? MUCH LESS RESPOND TO IT. Obviously you do not realize I am not looking for anyones approval nor do i care whether you think what i say has merit. I say what I feel it comes from the heart and if you think that you must be apart of something to care about it and what happens to it or to speak up on it then you are sadly mistaken!
Old 06-15-2000, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
Prettygyrl,
There seems to be a good bit of anger in your posts, especially your most recent one. FYI, GLOs became integrated (if only on a chapter basis) before BGLO's did...if I'm not mistaken, didn't a black woman pledge Sigma Kappa during the 1940's?
FYI, clarification a black woman was offered membership into Sigma Kappa at Cornell in 1956 but officials at the national headquarters were RACIST and they closed down the sorority when the students refused to deny the INTELLIGENT YOUNG BLACK WOMAN Barbara Collier Delaney membership how is that for intergration by GLO's. As far as integrating before BGLO's i know that AKA membership was open to all races way before 1940, but how many RACIST whites would actually want to join our groups anyway, don't toot your own horn, it sounds soooo ugly
Old 06-15-2000, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

12dn94dst,

That was a good point! People do come from predominantly "enter race here" neighborhoods. And I am ALL for people with the same ethnic background having strong feelings, pride, love for their community. I grew up in a small town in West Virginia. About 3,000 - 4,000 people. My high school consisted of about 650 students grades 7-12 (we didn't have middle school or jr. high). But out of those 650 students about 2-4 were black through out my entire high school years. We had 2 exchange students each year, and there were 2 asian/american girls that attened our school. The rest of my school was made up of white students. I have a love for that small town. It's quiet, safe, and beautiful. I suppose I lived a very sheltered, idealistic life growing up because I was not submitted to the 'real' world. The 'real' world is much different than the 'sheltered' life I led in my hometown. But back to my point--NEVER did those students that weren't white, decide that they didn't want to participate in community service, sporting events, cherity functions, social events. . .etc etc just because they were a different color. They were always right there along with the rest of us helping out our communities, schools, churches, etc etc. I never viewed those people as different, yeah, there skin was a different color, but they always had the same intentions as myself. We shared a common goal. And NEVER did anyone deny them them the right, priviledge, or whatever to particpate in clubs, community service, social events etc etc because of their color. So I guess what I'm saying is, how does that instance differ from someone wanting to join a greek organizations? What if the 'white' girl that wants to join a BGLO grew up in a predominatly 'black' neighborhood? The same goes for a 'black' girl to join a 'white' GLO?

The point is, some people just flat out refuse to even THINK of a person of another color joining their organization. I'm staying that you should get to know the person before you brush them off. You don't know where they've been, how they've lived, or who they really are. If you don't find out their intentions first, you may never know what you are missing out on, and it could be the best thing that ever happened to you or your oganization.

[This message has been edited by mgdzkm433 (edited June 15, 2000).]
Old 06-15-2000, 07:36 PM
sadeluv

Prettygyrl,
Once again my intent was not to offend you. Apparently it did. I'm sorry that you can't accept reality as it is. I truely hope that somebody's sorority accepts you (not with that attitude). Don't all of a sudden think you have it made, just because you talk to some of the members of your aspiring organization.

You can get rejected .

Just for the record, this particular issue DOESN'T affect you because you are not in a BGLO and you are not a Caucasion female. (Rocket Scientist!) MOST of these topics DON'T affect you because of the previous stated reasons.

I can appreciate you speaking from the heart, but there is a difference in that and just talking just to be heard, which is what you appear to be consumed with doing.

Speaking realistically, you do care what people think of you, whether your statements have merits, and you are seeking somebody's acceptance. If not, you wouldn't on here trying to run everyone's organization, with your inexperienced statements!

Therefore, I am agreeing to disagree with you. You appear to have a shallow level of thinking and a naive persona. I would prefer not waist my time conversating with a space filled with air.

I wish you much success!!

Life Lesson - Be wise and watch what you say, because people are listening and looking, especially if you are aspiring to be in a BGLO.
Old 06-15-2000, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

SADE GIRL, OR BOY, WHATEVER! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO OFFEND ME! YOU ARE STEADLY SAYING THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME OR THAT! WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH YOU? NOTHING !BUT YOU TAKE THE TIME TO POST. I DO NOT KNOW EVERYONE SO YOU CLAIM BUT YOU THINK YOU KNOW ME ENUFF TO TELL ME WHAT I CARE ABOUT? FOOL PLEASE!! YOU ARE THE ONE NOT DEALING WITH REALITY! THE REALITY IS, I WILL ALWAYS SPEAK MIND ON WHATEVER I WHAT! AND LIKE I TELL MANY OTHERS IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT TO BAD! I NEVER SAID I COULD NOT GET REJECTED DEAR, THOSE ARE YOUR WORDS. ALTHOUGH I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT BECAUSE I AM NOT EVEN TO THAT POINT YET. I DEFEINITELY HAVE NOT TRIED TO RUN ANYONES ORG. AND NO ONE HAS SAID THAT BUT YOU SO YOU ARE MISTAKEN AND YOUR LITTLE MIND HAS FAILED YOU ONCE AGAIN. I DO NOT EVEN KNOW YOU SO HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK THAT THE THINGS YOU SAY COULD "OFFEND" ME AT ALL! I AM GOING TO ALWAYS BE A STRONG MINDED, OUTSPOKEN, INTELLIGENT BLACK WOMEN, AND WHEN I RUN INTO WEAK SOULS LIKE YOURSELF ALL I CAN DO IS PRAY FOR YOU! SINCE YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY AS SHALLOW AS THEY COME, I THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING NOT TO CONVERSE WITH ME BECAUSE I NO THAT I INTIMIDATE YOUR TYPE! MALE OR FEMALE WHATEVER YOU ARE, YOU NEED TO GET IT TOGETHER QUIT HATING THOSE YOU WISH YOU WERE LIKE! MOST OF ALL QUIT SPENDING YOUR TIME WORRY ABOUT PRETTYGYRL AND HER ATTITUDE! I KNOW PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING AND LISTENING THATS WHY WHEN EVER I SPEAK I AM SINCERE AND I SPEAK THE TRUTH. THATS ALL YOU EXPECT FROM SOMEONE AND IF PEOPLE EXPECT LESS OR EXPECT ME TO BE FAKE OR KISS ASS THEN I WILL ADVISE THEM TO COME AND TALK TO THOSE THAT ARE LIKE YOU! I MEAN HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE A LIFE LESSON WHEN IT IS OBVIOUS YOU HAVE LIFE AND BULLSHIT MIXED UP!
Old 06-15-2000, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Prettygyrl,
Are you okay?
Old 06-16-2000, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to say that even thou peeps have different views that does not make them stupid or ignorant... pretty gyrl ..Gyrl I feel Ya 100%
Old 06-16-2000, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Prettygyrl,

Very well put! Just a side note however. (lol, can I ever say anything without a side note?) The all caps thing. To tell you the truth, it hurts my eyes. Maybe that's just me--my eyes are very sensitive to light. But I usually skip over the posts all in caps, or that have a lot of stuff in caps. I try to skim through most of them, but sometimes my eyes just can't take it. If there is anyone else out there like myself, they might only be reading tidbits of your posts and not getting the whole gist, and that might be where their anger is steming from, not getting all the facts. Anyway, just a side note.
Old 06-17-2000, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thanks NIque!(smile) Most def icytre i will always be okay dear. It is just very small minded of some people who come in here and can not handle the things that I say that they have to result to name calling. I mean they call me shallow (LOL) and ignorant(LOL) yet it is them that are so angry that they are calling me names(LOL) i see no reason to get THAT upset because we do not even know each other. I always see people post that my posts are angry or this and that. Really I just speak so people can HEAR me and try and understand so when i captilize and use my exclamation points that is just so people know that those parts are important(as i have said before) Some claim to agree to disagree with me but yet they get off on a rant calling me names and stuff. It seems that they must not agree to disagree because they allow themselves to get so upset and then they react stupidly! I do not call people ignorant etc. because just because we do not share the same beliefs that does not make someone ignorant! BUT if it makes those that can not deal with Prettygyrl feel better about themselves to call me names then by all means they need to do what they have to do to have a greater selflove for themselves! I have to thank all the people that took the time to post and agree with me. I want to thank those that disagreed, but understood that I am entitled to mine as they are theirs. To everyone else, as I always say, I will defintiely pray for you!
Old 06-17-2000, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

PrettyGyrl,
First of all, I am NOT greek, and I may not agree with everything you post, I do understand. I am older than many of these college women who post and have been in the corporate world and a leader in my community for some time now (in the South). I do tend to question the motives of non-whites who join predominately black orgs (greek and other orgs). To those "whites" who are truly sincere and are willing to fight on the front line along with me (in public as well as privately) fine. Too many times (where I'm from), whites will say they are "down for the cause" but when it comes time to go against other whites beliefs they back down. I too get sick of the "I have black friends or My neighbor is black" speech. The time is to put up or shut up. I guess being born and raised in the deep south has had an affect on me and how I view topics such as this.
I Like your fighting and realistic spirit. If you need a job, come work for me. I would love to have you. I have also heard Greeks in my area express similar feelings.

P.S. That Is the one good thing about our country, it is a free country and you are entitled to your opinions and you have freedom of speech as a right of being born in this country.

Much Love & Peace.

[This message has been edited by Church Lady (edited June 17, 2000).]
Old 06-17-2000, 09:54 PM
PEACE

Quote:
Originally posted by prettygyrl:
MALE OR FEMALE WHATEVER YOU ARE, YOU NEED TO GET IT TOGETHER QUIT HATING THOSE YOU WISH YOU WERE LIKE!
This is too funny....you just insinuated that this Sade person wants to be like those she hates!!! Now does that shoe fit on the other foot???

Old 06-18-2000, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Prettygyrl,
I wish you had an email address, b/c I would have like to address you personally, but I didn't see one on your profile...I just wanted to say that whether someone agrees with your stance or not, you shouldn't let people get you so upset. There are a lot of opinions on this board that I don't agree with, but you are wasting very productive time and energy trying to make sure that people know where you are coming from.

I mean think about it, If you are so firm in you beliefs, does it really matter whether or not I, for instance, know what you mean. A lot of people on the forum may not agree with your views, and just going back and forth with them makes you and the other person look like you're playing a childish game of tit for tat.

You feel the way that you do, and leave it at that, you shouldn't have to defend you stance if there are obviously sooo many people out there waiting to challenge you. Again, I am not saying that I am totally for everything that you are saying, but I think the board is meant for intelligent conversation, and everyone has their own views so don't get so offended when someone doesn't like yours. I commend you, and I do respect you because you are firm in you stance, no matter what others say...you haven't change your mind yet...and you don't let others sway your confidence, I hope that applies to all aspects of your life.

But really I think it would be in everyone's interest to just kill it, you don't have to respond to every comment...

Have a GREAT day everyone...

------------------
'Cause I'm a woman,
Phenomenally
Phenomenal Woman
That's me

Maya Angelou