GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,451
2 members and 2,449 guests
No Members online

Old 07-25-2010, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I have some serious Kappa pride and was super involved in my chapter as an undergrad, but I'm pretty sure I would have dropped off the radar for the last semester of my undergrad experience if my sister (who went through recruitment last January) had been cut. I say that because I knew for a fact she was a terrific fit for the group and would add a lot to the chapter - I was an active who knew the sisters and the campus culture, and I obviously know my sister very well. Luckily, I was 100% right - my sisters loved her in the rush room and one of my happiest moments was seeing her in our letters on Bid Day. She's been a great asset to our chapter. However, if she had been rushing at another chapter (or at mine, say 5 years after I graduated) I don't think I could manage that level of vitriol for my organization if she had been cut. If you're not actually an active member who knows the sisters and the culture I think it's hard to determine whether or not your legacy is a good fit.

In any event, I've never seen a sister of an active cut from her legacy group at Hopkins. In the history of our (relatively young) chapter there have only been two Kappa sister legacies and they both went Kappa, but there was an unusually high number of them last recruitment and they all ended up pledging their bio sisters' chapters. I have, however, heard of girls (not in my chapter) threatening to disaffiliate if their sisters were cut.

Last edited by littleowl33; 07-25-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2010, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

My little sis (bio) also came through recruitment when I was a senior. I convinced her to rush even though she had a negative opion of greek life(too many movies!). We've been awfully close our whole lives and I think she agreed because she knew that I was cool, so how bad could it be? She had met and hung out with a lot of my sisters and loved them. I was an officer at the time and let's just say I would've cut (with a razor) anybody and everybody who denied her. She was fit for us, and really any of the chapters on campus would have been lucky to call her their sister (though many cut her because of her biological ties to my house), she was and is a sweet, beautiful, funny, lovely young lady. I know one house in particular (we battled them for girls a lot)that she preffed at told her that she had to be tired of living under my shadow and being know as my little sister, didn't she want to use college as a chance to become her own person? Biatches. She didn't fall for it. And like littleowl, it was the highlight of my college experience seeing her run onto our lawn on Bid Day. After, two of my sisters took me aside and told me that even if she hadn't been related to me they would have had her at the top of the list. But the icing on the cake, was little sis telling me four years later that regardless of what my affiliation was, my chapter and her chapter was the only chapter for her!
And P.S. this is where I confess that I would have been heartbroken to see her in another's letters.