GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,939
0 members and 1,939 guests
No Members online

Old 01-28-2002, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Sisterly Suggestons?!?

Okay...long story, but I'll try to shorten it. Basically, tonight after meeting, we had a voluntary stay-after chat where we could all vent about anything that was bothering us either personally or in the chapter, followed by bringing up positive things that have been going on. Sisterhood was one of the big things discussed, and although in general our chapter is very close, there are some people who feel left out in a lot of things. I suggested we should do more sisterhood events, because there is ALWAYS something one can do to improve oneself and one's sisterhood. Afterall, love and friendship and loyalty is what being in a sorority is all about.

Our 1st VP has decided to have a suggestion box with which people could have their ideas heard more clearly. Usually, as mentioned in another thread, our sisterhood events consist of a "movie night" where we watch a video, eat snacks, and socialize. They're really fun, but we need to do those MORE often. Anyhow.... I was thinking that once in a while we should watch some tearjerker stuff more along topics about friendship and sisterhood. I definitely want to tell my ideas to the sisterhood chair, and I'm hoping she'll listen to my ideas. I honestly think we need to watch some "female bonding" movies such as:

Beaches
Steel Magnolias
Now & Then
Fried Green Tomatoes

Does anyone have any suggestions of other movies about friendship, etc???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-28-2002, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was in school, we would all meet at the house and watch 90210 or Melrose Place together. This was something we did every single week and it was lots of fun to have that weekly 90210/MP party.

I don't know if there are any silly shows out there like this anymore, but it's just a thought.

PS Your movie list sounds pretty good. I'm an 80's kid so 80's movies were always a hit with us (Pretty in Pink, the Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, Sixteen Candles). Maybe there are some of those universal favorites out there for your generation.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey you're making me sound like a little kid LOL! I'm an 80s kid too! I remember all those movies, even if I was a tad younger. I had (sadly) had an obsession with New Kids on the Block, MC Hammer, Madonna, Vanilla Ice, etc. LOL That's a whole other thread....

Thankx for the suggestions about those shows. I watched those when I was younger also. Sometimes my sisters & I watch Friends together & such.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Alias would be good-- you could all get together Sunday night to watch this female CIA agent kick some serious butt!

Sex and the City too--those women are as tight and sisterly as any I've ever known!

Ever After-- not a girly bonding movie, but SUCH a girly movie.

Miss Congeliality--shows how they all overcome their competitiveness to become friends.

Practical Magic, Witches of Eastwick would be fun.

That's all I can think of off top of my head-- but check out this book--
Cinematherapy : The Girl's Guide to Movies for Every Mood
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...777934-9501734

Amy
Old 01-28-2002, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh yeah, our former 1st VP has invites anyone who wants to over to her apartment to watch Sex & the City after meetings on Sundays. LOL. So far I've not partaken in the offer, but since I don't have a car I don't have much say in where I go & making sure I can get a ride back. LOL. Yes we watched Miss Congeneality, and also Bring It On.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Cool

Adding to the movie list-many of these are classics that I adore, some of them are musicals. All of them feature strong female characters and/or love stories.

Sliding Doors (Gwyneth Paltrow)
Emma (Gwenyth again)
Princess Bride
Gigi (Leslie Caron & Louis Jourdan - yum!)
Meet Me in St. Louis (lives of a entire housefull of sisters)
Mystic Pizza (a very young Julia Roberts)
The Quite Man ( John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara butt heads in Ireland)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (Starting the Audrey Hepburn List)
Sabrina (the original with Audrey, Humphrey Bogart & William Holden)
Roman Holiday(Audrey & Cary Grant)
An Ideal Husband

Another idea...have someone come in a teach everyone knitting or crochet. Ya'll can sit around afterwards, work on your projects and have a Stitch & Bitch sesson - knitting & talking.

ZLAM,
Barbara

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 01-28-2002 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:53 PM
UMgirl

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun- Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt (another '80's movie) was my chapters sisterhood movie.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

THELMA AND LOUISE! J/J

These lists are great. Now I want to go rent a video.

Barbara, Mystic Pizza is a great one!
Where The Boys Are- B&W, but a good girl movie.
The Way We Were

TechAPhi- I love all tose movies too! Especially 16 Candles and Pretty In Pink!
Old 01-28-2002, 02:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
UMGirl, we watched this movie so many times, we wore out the tape!! I loved it

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun- Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt (another '80's movie) was my chapters sisterhood movie.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tridgirl
Our chapter has sisterhoods called firesides, whic is basically bonding time. We have done stuff such as giving everyone candles and having them tell somone they don't usually talk to what they mean to them and lighting thier candle, and then that person talks to someone and lights that next person'a candle. Another is writitng out lil slips of paper with a question on eachone and you go around the room asking eachother questions. When we are new memebers we had a fireside at our retreat where we all just talked about the most important thing that has ever happened to you, we went through like 10 boxes of kleenex and totally bonded as a pledge class. We try to have two firesides a month, another during rush, one with the new memebers and one with the seniors before they graduate. Its a great way to get to know girls you wouldn't otherwise and making it by a fireplace or with some nice candles makes it feel almost like ritual, its very moving and beautiful.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Gilmore Girls!!! It's our favorite watch-with-a-sister show. We also watch Dawson's and Golden Girls (I personally am not a big Golden Girls fan, but it is funny )
Old 01-28-2002, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to get off topic too much but what about having buddies or pals, i.e., match one girl who feels "left out" with a real active girl whose responsibility it is to call and invite the other girl out, take to a party with her, etc.

That helped me so much because I wanted to do more but didn't necessarily have anyone to walk with, etc.

Also, what about little activities during retreats, etc to boost one anothers self esteem. Write on a piece of paper a good trait about someone and make sure the traits are written by someone other than their best friend etc.

I really think if people in general were nicer to one another and better friends to one another, people would have less to vent about.

I think girly/ friendship movies are a great idea because what I love about SATC the most is how incredibly supportive of one another they are.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

(My Faves)

Here are some good sisterhood/friendship/girlpower movies:

League of thier Own <----I LOVE THIS MOVIE
Circle of Friends
Girl Interrupted
Emma/Clueless
Indian Summer
Coyote Ugly
Charlies Angels
Tomb Raider- yes its accually a good girlpower movie

Yeah so some of these have more depth than others. But enjoy.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

This totally reminds me of a high school ritual I had with my three best friends- The ISTBSSOP (It Suck To Be Single SleepOver Party). The only requirements were a need for some girly bonding. We would go out and buy a liter of soda and a carton of ice cream each (you don't have to finish them all in one night!) and order some pizza. Then watched movies. They varied, but necessary on the list were the following:
Boys on the Side
Waiting to Exhale
Steel Magnolia
Thelma and Louise
A League of Their Own (also one of my faves!)
It was definite girl night's in fun, I highly recommend it!