GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Technical difficulties still plaguing NU...we continue to wait. Ugh. You know, this really is pretty bad PR for them. People on CC are reporting that they've been trying for hours.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Technical difficulties still plaguing NU...we continue to wait. Ugh. You know, this really is pretty bad PR for them. People on CC are reporting that they've been trying for hours.
How incredibly frustrating for you and your daughter.

hypo just stopped by and we chatted. She said she didn't even cry about NU and she's ok. She realizes that Brown and Columbia are extremely unlikely. We discussed financial aid packages and looked at the offer from DePaul again. She doesn't think the amount of loans required for either American or DePaul are worth it. For Barnard, she'd be willing to take on that debt, but not for American or DePaul. She did say she'll be upset if Barnard can't happen, but she's sounding like she's leaning toward Michigan now.

I should probably do the Michigan Resident Classification form since they have her estimated annual fees set at $50K instead of $25K.

Last edited by AGDee; 03-23-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

10:45...my daughter went to bed. We have to drive to Big Rapids (yea!!...not) in the am for her state choir solo. I'll keep checking for a bit.

Michigan had my daughter listed as OOS, too. All I had to do was call the number that was on the form and talk to the very nice receptionist. She took care of it and I didn't have to fill out that awful form.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
10:45...my daughter went to bed. We have to drive to Big Rapids (yea!!...not) in the am for her state choir solo. I'll keep checking for a bit.

Michigan had my daughter listed as OOS, too. All I had to do was call the number that was on the form and talk to the very nice receptionist. She took care of it and I didn't have to fill out that awful form.
I just printed the form. I don't know where they get that she might be from out of state. They know her highschool...

We have state solo & ensemble tomorrow. Hypo is in a clarinet quartet and a clarinet/flute duet. One performs at 11 am, one at 4:35. They have to be there an hour before their performance time so we have to leave the house at 8:30 am. I wish they could figure out their scheduling better. We're going to be there all day :/
Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I just printed the form. I don't know where they get that she might be from out of state. They know her highschool...

We have state solo & ensemble tomorrow. Hypo is in a clarinet quartet and a clarinet/flute duet. One performs at 11 am, one at 4:35. They have to be there an hour before their performance time so we have to leave the house at 8:30 am. I wish they could figure out their scheduling better. We're going to be there all day :/
The Michigan receptionist told me that the NU summer/on-line classes triggered my daughter's, due to NU being in Illinois. The Barnard program might have done it for your daughter.

What a crappy schedule for you tomorrow!

Here's the message that is now posting for NU. At least it looks a bit official now, and gives some reassurance that they're working on it:

As you read this message, we have a team of very skilled human beings looking into this issue. We're so sorry, we know you're really eager to view your admissions decision. Extremely high traffic has slowed down our servers, and we have all hands on deck to solve this problem ASAP.
Thank you for your patience.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The Michigan receptionist told me that the NU summer/on-line classes triggered my daughter's, due to NU being in Illinois. The Barnard program might have done it for your daughter.

What a crappy schedule for you tomorrow!

Here's the message that is now posting for NU. At least it looks a bit official now, and gives some reassurance that they're working on it:

As you read this message, we have a team of very skilled human beings looking into this issue. We're so sorry, we know you're really eager to view your admissions decision. Extremely high traffic has slowed down our servers, and we have all hands on deck to solve this problem ASAP.
Thank you for your patience.
They should have just put their decisions in the email.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

The 35,000 applications doesn't surprise me since kids are applying to so many schools now. UCLA supposedly had more than 90,000, and my alma mater (Pepperdine) had nearly 10,000 for just 800 spots.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter finally got through this morning, only to get a rejection from Northwestern. I am actually surprised at this, because she has been going to their programs for 6 years. Even though she had already decided that it wasn't where she wanted to go, I think the rejection feels more personal, because she has had so much contact with the school.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My daughter finally got through this morning, only to get a rejection from Northwestern. I am actually surprised at this, because she has been going to their programs for 6 years. Even though she had already decided that it wasn't where she wanted to go, I think the rejection feels more personal, because she has had so much contact with the school.
Yes, I can understand that. Then I went to CC and was reading stats of kids who were rejected and it is absolutely incredible.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
The 35,000 applications doesn't surprise me since kids are applying to so many schools now. UCLA supposedly had more than 90,000, and my alma mater (Pepperdine) had nearly 10,000 for just 800 spots.
This makes it so hard to get in. They have far, far more kids who are qualified than they can accept. An applicant just has to hope that there is something in his/her application that catches the interest of the admissions committee. It's often something really random.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The fact that so many kids are applying to so many schools now is probably what burned your daughter as well as Dee's with NU. My ex graduated from NU and well, to put it nicely, didn't have anywhere near the credentials that Dee's daughter has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
That's just insane but count me among the generation where applying to more than 4 schools was considered a lot.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

6 years ago, Duke had the same admissions access problem as Northwestern did this year. It was a long 48 hours.....I think the hardcopy decisions actually arrived by the time access was available. My class of '06 kid applied to 7 schools, my current senior applied to 8.

Our suburban Boston high school in the 80s told us to apply to at least 5 or 6. I applied to 6.

I interview prospectives for Carnegie Mellon. They truly all have amazing resumes. My fellow alums and I always joke that we would never be accepted nowadays.

Last edited by alum; 03-24-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so sorry about Northwestern and praying for the ones hypoallergenic has left to hear from. Love this thread.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
This makes it so hard to get in. They have far, far more kids who are qualified than they can accept. An applicant just has to hope that there is something in his/her application that catches the interest of the admissions committee. It's often something really random.
Funny story about this: I have a group of friends who attended an excellent small liberal arts school with very competitive admissions (think Wesleyan, Lehigh, Bryn Mawr, etc). At orientation, the admissions director told the freshman class members that they all belonged there and would succeed, and if they ever doubted that, to come to her and she would remind them of why the school was the place for them.

Well, one of my friends was having a very rough time her sophomore year, so she did exactly that. The AD said, "Actually, you were an interesting case. We like to have a lot of breadth in our class, and we thought you would bring a unique perspective because you aren't afraid to be original, and you are someone who will steer your own course and take people with you if necessary."

My friend was dumbfounded. "Are you telling me," she said, "that I got into one of the best schools in the country because instead of playing a team sport, I was the high school mascot?"

True story.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Wow, I was a slacker, I guess. I only graduated from HS 6 years ago (hmmm that's suddenly sounding like a long time ago!) and I applied to 3 schools. I was going to apply to 5, but then I got into Illinois so I stopped applying!
I graduated only 5 years ago and I applied to 4 schools. I would say that I was pretty typical of my graduating class, most of us applied to 5 or less schools and out of our top 10 the only "prestigious" schools any of us went to were 1 to Georgetown and 1 to Penn. Everyone else did state schools, mostly. But we're not from a wealthy area and a lot of my friends wanted to save money for grad school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Not that I am aware of anymore- they will publish 25%-75% ACT/SAT spreads, GPA averages for the current freshman class, etc., but you can never be sure until you get the notification that you are in. In this day and age, especially with the larger, nationally recognized state universities, there are more kids with the right numbers than there are seats for them at the schools. Schools also want a diversified student body, so that also is taken into account. That can mean ethnicity/demographics/sex, but also where the kids reside within/outside the state, and niche interests (i.e.," I have a passion for studying jellyfish, and have done so since I was in 4th grade").
Some schools also consider legacy status when admitting students. I know Penn State is huge on this and although my scores were well within the accepted ranges, I know the fact that I'm a PSU mega-leg did not hurt me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
hypo just stopped by and we chatted. She said she didn't even cry about NU and she's ok. She realizes that Brown and Columbia are extremely unlikely. We discussed financial aid packages and looked at the offer from DePaul again. She doesn't think the amount of loans required for either American or DePaul are worth it. For Barnard, she'd be willing to take on that debt, but not for American or DePaul. She did say she'll be upset if Barnard can't happen, but she's sounding like she's leaning toward Michigan now.
Michigan is a great school, internationally recognized as a leader in education and research, and they have school spirit for miles. She'll find her niche in the RC I think and I think soon enough she'll also appreciate not being so far away from home. It sounds all well and good when you're 18, but having a place to come back to when you are tired of dorm food and don't feel like paying for laundry or just want a hug from someone who cares and isn't going to leave you in a year or two is something that cannot exactly be put into words. It's kind of like recruitment in that you end up where you're meant to be. And Michigan has so much diversity in its offerings, she'll find plenty of cultural events, educational programs, and creative outlets that her schedule will be packed and she won't have time to think about much else.

And besides, she can come home for every break and see her friends, she won't miss any family events, and she will graduate with far less debt than if she went further away. And while that may not seem salient now, just tell her that if she graduates with fewer loans she may be able to move full time out to Chicago or D.C. or NYC post-graduation and she can always get internships there for the summers. I don't know, I have a good feeling about her at Michigan. I feel like she'll fit in there, it won't be a pressure cooker like at some schools. I wish her the best luck about Barnard, and I really hope her dream comes true there, but she should know that her second choice is still a really, really great pick. And coming from a rival school, I don't really have a lot of reason to talk it up if it weren't true, now do I?