GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,216
0 members and 2,216 guests
No Members online

Old 10-17-2004, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Crappy News Sources

DISCLAIMER: This is a discussion of news sources only. I will request to have this thread deleted if it devolves into personal attacks or discussion of the "liberal" or "conservative" media bias.

For example, I dislike the New York Post and New York Daily News with a passion. I dislike them not because of what they choose to cover--it's the way they cover events that is tasteless. Plus, the people I see reading them in the subway just look..."intellectually lazy." They figure if they can get their headlines in three-word phrases and in huge font, then they've gotten the news. I don't know who runs the newspapers, but they are very sensationalistic and will get stories half-right if it means a catchy cover.

Do other cities have newspapers that are, basically, localized tabloids? If so, do you read them?

ETA: I know some people read those newspapers' sports pages because they are more comprehensive than the NYT.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 10-17-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-17-2004, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Re: Crappy News Sources

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
Do other cities have newspapers that are, basically, localized tabloids? If so, do you read them?
boston herald. no.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Re: Crappy News Sources

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03

ETA: I know some people read those newspapers' sports pages because they are more comprehensive than the NYT.
Let see in Toronto:

Toronto Star, Globe & Mail, and National Post - all have different takes on news and have their own particular emphasis on what news they cover or report; I try to read them all as each has items or columns of particular interest to me... but the Toronto Star is free on campus so that one is the one I read everyday...

Toronto Sun - tabloid print with the sensationalism and quick & simple coverage of events... however they have a great sports section for statistics covering many, many sports & leauges are covered: local, national, North Ameican and European. If I read the paper it's only for the sports...

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 10-17-2004, 07:58 PM

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review now has an afternoon paper that from what I see of it is very New York Postian. The T-R itself is owned by Richard Mellon Scaife who is very very right wing. (I also hate the way it's laid out, not that that has any bearing on the news.) But the other paper in town (the Post-Gazette) is way too far up the Mayor's butt and the butts of those who want to spend tons on stadiums. I wish there was a happy medium.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pike1483
the new york times
Old 10-17-2004, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Richmond Times-Dispatch is the worst newspaper ever.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I don't like Newsday. The NY Post is really bad. It's like a gossip tabloid. The NY Daily News is better but not great. I think I read each paper once this year.

On television local stations 5 and 9 are awful. I only watch them if nothing else is on and only for a few minutes.

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 10-17-2004 at 11:38 PM.