GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,422
0 members and 2,422 guests
No Members online

Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Someone offered money for a bid

One of the rushes tried bribing me 200 to get him a bid. One of the weirdest occurrences ever. Has this ever happened to you guys and how'd you handle it?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Get rid of him. You don't want to be that fraternity. And the guy sounds like a terrible person.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM

Do not take the money and do not accept him as a new member. Sounds like a douche.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I don't know that he is immediately a douche, though he did a douchey thing. Certainly, on the NPC side, we know of women who are told by six generations of women that they just have to be an ABC or they shouldn't even bother coming home for the holidays. Who knows what pressure this kid has?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Points for creativity! I never had this happen, but politely refuse. This guy obviously really wants to join your fraternity. If it were not for this event, would you bid him?

If the answer is yes, give him a bid and write off the attempted bribe as a very immature and rash decision. If he later turns out during pledging to be bad news, drop him. You have the luxury of testing your new members out, unlike sororities.

Keep in mind that the would be members are young, inexperienced, and desperate to fit in. Some stupid measures are to be expected. If this guy creeps you out, don't give him a bid. If you think he might have what it takes, give him a bid and tease him about trying to buy his friends.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a guy friend tell me his fraternity was offered a LOT of money by an alumnus if they could convince his son to pledge. It was not a "if you'll take him" thing, but an effort to get the son to play ball. Son didn't. He was kind of a wild child socialite type and the fraternity had a nerdy rep. It probably would have been win/win/win, but you can't tell an 18 year old that!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband said they used to have potential members come through rush and tell them how much money their DADS had, and how that might be of benefit to the chapter. He said he's not aware of any individual brothers being offered a bribe.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

During my college days, a couple of the sororities asked how much money my father made during recruitment. I think they google all that information now.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 PM

I think I would laugh in someone's face who did that. Even if he seemed cool otherwise, I wouldn't try him out. Something like that will get around campus in 2.5 seconds, and who knows where that would end up? You could lose your charter.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard of a rushee at my brother's college campus several years back doing just this. He tried to bribe the rush chair and co-chair with $800,000 each (showed up with the cash in two suitcases). He also told the fraternity President that he would be willing to ask his parents for a few millions to donate to the fraternity organization itself. Didn't work and he actually got banned from all the IFCs for doing this action...

When I was visiting him in the fall (he took me to an open event), the brothers of the fraternity told all of us the story...even got a photo of the kid in front of the house with the word "Banned and Crazy" on it, haha!

Last edited by TracyJackson; 01-31-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling error, lol