GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,671
0 members and 1,671 guests
No Members online

Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Apparently my teachers thought that UTEP would just screw us of an education. One of my HS teachers loved calling UTEP---ScrewTEP just for that reason. Honestly though, I really enjoyed my time at UTEP, and would highly recommend it to other students.
[crash] i hate when teachers do that. i think it can rob a student of having the best experience at a place they'd fit into best
[/crash]
Old 03-05-2010, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
[crash] i hate when teachers do that. i think it can rob a student of having the best experience at a place they'd fit into best
[/crash]
Right? I still love that teacher to death, but I'm glad that I didn't follow in some of my classmates footsteps and have such animosity towards that school.

Some people would apply and go ANYWHERE just so they wouldn't have to be stuck at UTEP. Really?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Like I said I have never been to UTEP and I was not trying to make it sound like NMSU was better because I honestly dont think it is. My friends that went to UTEP loved it my friends at NMSU loved it... I didn't so I moved to a different school. But I agree Epchick that teachers say stuff like that in classes. I think some teachers dont even realize they are saying it. Which makes it even worse I think. I miss el paso though. Which a lot of people think is weird. But I didnt think it was that bad. One of the better places I have lived in my military brat life. :-)
Old 03-05-2010, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I go to a commuter school, and we have a lot of the same issues as you. For one, greek life goes largely unnoticed. I sought out greek life after transferring here my soph year, but so many people don't realize that we have greek life at all. I think that's changing as the campus atmosphere itself changes because the administration is actively fostering campus involvement from all students.

Make sure your org is doing letter days at least twice a month, if not more often. I'm a senior and I still have people in my classes asking me about greek life like they didnt know it existed. I am more than happy to educate them

I also sympathize with the "bad education" stigma that commuter schools can get... I transferred here from a large, more respected state school and people still give me looks when I tell them where I go, or when I tell old high school classmates that I transferred. Only you will know the true value of your education and your college experience, so put all you have into it and the rest will fall into place!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Right? I still love that teacher to death, but I'm glad that I didn't follow in some of my classmates footsteps and have such animosity towards that school.

Some people would apply and go ANYWHERE just so they wouldn't have to be stuck at UTEP. Really?
They might have made a good decision because somethings going on over there. It was in the EP Times last week that UTEP only has a 28% graduation rate. I hope it might have more to do with the students than the school itself, but I'm NOT gonna go there right now. I'm thinking about going back to school myself and naturally I'm considering UTEP. I've had some pple suggest NMSU but I do not feel like commuting to Cruces twice a week. Also, why do people call it JUTEP?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
I hope it might have more to do with the students than the school itself.
It's because of the students. I can't imagine it's really THAT low (the EP Times isn't always very credible) but a lot of students do end up leaving, getting married, have kids and then come back later. Or many students go for a year or so and then transfer. We have a lot of non-traditional students.

They only calculate graduation rates for the "first time" college students. The ones that come straight out of HS, start at UTEP and then graduate in 4/5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Also, why do people call it JUTEP?
You haven't figured it out yet? lol. Cause of the Mexican accent, people end up adding that j sound at the beginning. So "EL UTEP" becomes "El JUTEP" lol
Old 03-05-2010, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You haven't figured it out yet? lol. Cause of the Mexican accent, people end up adding that j sound at the beginning. So "EL UTEP" becomes "El JUTEP" lol
I haven't heard the EL UTEP but I've actually heard La Austin ,La Franklin, La Bowie. I'm waiting on hearing La ITT Tech, or would it be El ITT Tech?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thats so funny Pika2001 and epchick I have never heard these before. I think La Franklin is the best ... lol
Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HONKY660
No one calls it LA Franklin, the only schools that are usually "La's" are the ghetto schools like bowie and jeff. I would agree with EPChick that UTEP has a higher graduation that 28%, UTEP has around 21000 students and graduates about <2,500 every semester. As an alum and former Greek at UTEP I would say the issue is that most students just don't know about Greek life because a majority of UTEP students are first time college students in their families, some ever first time high school grads. Its just not part of the hispanic culture, and about 80% of UTEP students are either hispanics or mexicans. But as I tell everyone, UTEP is what you make of it, you can get involved and its great, or you can go to school then go home and complain.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

There are plenty of LGLOs and MCGLOs at UTEP...in other words, it's not that there isn't an active greek life. It may be that there isn't a very active NPC/IFC greek life.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Some of our alumni tailgaters at Houston refer to it as "UT-Mexico" because of its location... *facepalm*
Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HONKY660
Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarGrad View Post
Some of our alumni tailgaters at Houston refer to it as "UT-Mexico" because of its location... *facepalm*
The funny thing is that the parking lot used for visiting tailgaters gives you a look at the poorest part Juarez, Mexico which is just a mile and a border fence away. It's not a pleasant view, and in the winter you can smell the tires burning for heat.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarGrad View Post
Uuuugggghhh...i hate people like that.