GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,517
0 members and 1,517 guests
No Members online

Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa at Kentucky to close

Sigma Kappa closing down
March 3, 2010
by Katie Saltz
The Kentucky Kernel
(University of Kentucky)

After 20 years on campus, one sorority chapter will be closing its doors.

The UK Theta Rho Chapter of Sigma Kappa will no longer be operational as of May 8, according to a news release from Sigma Kappa national headquarters. The decision to close the chapter was due in part to low number of members.

“Following an extensive public relations campaign and multiple informal recruitment events, it was determined not enough of the many factors required to sustain an effective chapter were present,” the release said.

UK spokeswoman Gail Hairston said the decision to close Sigma Kappa was a completely internal decision and the university supports the sorority in all its efforts.

"It was a choice between the local chapter and national headquarters," Hairston said.

It is unclear what will happen to the Sigma Kappa sorority house, located at 325 Columbia Terrace. Hairston said it is too early to tell what will become of the house and meetings will need to take place to discuss the future of the location.

Susan West, assistant dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority affairs, said in an e-mail to the Kernel the Greek community was saddened by the loss of the sorority on campus.

"The chapter has contributed leadership, service, and most of all, lifelong relationships within our university community,” West said. “We respect the current members and their decision to leave a legacy of fond memories and the knowledge that they made a difference on our campus."

Sigma Kappa UK chapter president Lindsey Maggard declined to comment. National headquarters could not be reached for comment by press time.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Even though it appears that this is for the best, I am still very sad for my sisters in Theta Rho. I hope that one day, Sigma Kappa can return to campus and flourish!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 PM

I knew their numbers were lower compared to the larger chapters, but I didnt think they were in danger of closing. One of their advisors that I met at the advising conference at UK this summer, didnt give me any kind of impression they were in danger of closing either.

As far as the house: Their former house is now occupied by Phi Delta Theta Fraternity I believe (and prior to Sigma Kappa living there, I believe the former ZTA chapter occupied it). The current Sigma Kappa House was formerly occupied by the now closed Alpha Xi Delta chapter. Phi Mu is coming on campus in a couple of years, maybe they could purchase/fix up the house and move in when they arrive on campus?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad News...

One of my good friends is a Sigma Kappa. She is so sweet. This makes me very sad. I hope that Sigma Kappa can eventually go back to Kentucky.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
The current Sigma Kappa House was formerly occupied by the now closed Alpha Xi Delta chapter. Phi Mu is coming on campus in a couple of years, maybe they could purchase/fix up the house and move in when they arrive on campus?
It is sad when a chapter closes
Since Alpha Phi is now at UK, I wonder if they will have first dibs on the house...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

chapter requested to close

An exceprt from the national website: "On March 1, 2010, the members of Theta Rho Chapter voted to request dormant status. National council accepted the chapter’s request and this change will become effective on May 8, 2010"

Full press release: http://www.sigmakappa.org/default.aspx?id=3605
Old 03-05-2010, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I knew their numbers were lower compared to the larger chapters, but I didn't think they were in danger of closing. One of their advisors that I met at the advising conference at UK this summer, didn't give me any kind of impression they were in danger of closing either.
From what I have heard - and boy, does news travel fast - the news stunned the UK Greek community. No one saw this coming.

Quote:
As far as the house: Their former house is now occupied by Phi Delta Theta Fraternity I believe (and prior to Sigma Kappa living there, I believe the former ZTA chapter occupied it). The current Sigma Kappa House was formerly occupied by the now closed Alpha Xi Delta chapter. Phi Mu is coming on campus in a couple of years, maybe they could purchase/fix up the house and move in when they arrive on campus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1228 View Post
Since Alpha Phi is now at UK, I wonder if they will have first dibs on the house...
The Sigma Kappa house is part of the Sorority Circle and ideally, sororities have "first dibs" on houses in the Circle. My understanding is that Alpha Phi has already purchased, renovated and moved into a house "down the street" from the Sorority Circle. Actually, I am not sure if Alpha Phi purchased their house or if they are leasing it. In either case, they put some serious money into the renovation.

Now as ThetaPrincess24 noted, Phi Mu has been invited to colonize in fall of 2011 and would be the ideal candidate for the house. However, the women that will be considered for the colony should already have housing contracts for the fall 2011 semester. As such, Phi Mu may not be able to put members into the house until Spring of 2012 - at the earliest. Unless Phi Mu pays for an unused house for a year, that is a long time for the house to go unoccupied. And unless Alpha Phi elects to lease/sell their current house and move into the Circle, the house should be available next semester.

Now unless the situation has changed, currently there are four fraternity chapters that are un-housed - with Beta Theta Pi re-colonizing in Fall 2010. Two of the un-housed chapters could easily fill the house. So it would not surprise me if one of the chapters moved in. And if I remember correctly, one of the un-housed chapters is in the process of raising funds for a new house. I don't know the timeline for it, but I could see the fraternity living in the Sigma Kappa house for a year - maybe two - then moving into their new house. Phi Mu could then move into the house fall of 2012.

One other option. Most of the GLO houses and land are owned by UK, with the houses administrated by the GLO's housing corporation. As such, UK might lease rooms in the house out to "regular" students for a year. UK did so this academic year with the Sigma Phi Epsilon house while the Sig Ep chapter serves a one year suspension. (Sig Ep is eligible to move back in as of July 2010.)

Given all the possibilities, I would venture to guess that the house will be leased to a fraternity for the 2010-11 school year. Then depending on what Phi Mu decides, will either be leased to Phi Mu or remain with that fraternity chapter. Or perhaps one of the other un-housed fraternities.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.