GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,117
0 members and 1,117 guests
No Members online

Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Syracuse University is considering expansion and has an expansion research committee that will continue to work over the summer. While nothing is definite, a vote on expansion should take place in the fall. Obviously we can only speculate on who would come back to campus (Syracuse has had every NPC sorority on campus at one point or another except Sigma Sigma Sigma, so it would be, most likely, a recolonization) if we do vote to expand. However, chances are it would be Alpha Gamma Delta for obvious reasons, or maybe Chi Omega, since they still own a house on campus (though its occupied at the moment by Phi Sigma Sigma). I'll keep everyone updated as I hear more from the expansion research committee, and in the fall when we vote.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
Syracuse University is considering expansion and has an expansion research committee that will continue to work over the summer. While nothing is definite, a vote on expansion should take place in the fall. Obviously we can only speculate on who would come back to campus (Syracuse has had every NPC sorority on campus at one point or another except Sigma Sigma Sigma, so it would be, most likely, a recolonization) if we do vote to expand. However, chances are it would be Alpha Gamma Delta for obvious reasons, or maybe Chi Omega, since they still own a house on campus (though its occupied at the moment by Phi Sigma Sigma). I'll keep everyone updated as I hear more from the expansion research committee, and in the fall when we vote.
That's exciting news! It would be wonderful to have all of the Alpha chapters of the Triad on campus again, but Syracuse would be a great recolonization for any of the other NPC orgs...or a nice new chapter for Tri Sigma.

Looking forward to hearing how this progresses. Thank you for keeping us posted!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 AM

I remember when Phi Mu was invited to colonize at Arkansas Tech two years ago, there was the possibility of Alpha Gamma Delta colonizing this coming fall. Any news?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Phi Mu is also colonizing at Augusta State University per their website:

http://www.phimu.org/content.aspx?it...ewchapters.xml
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Belongs over on this new thread now....

I just read this on the IFC Website for Ole Miss:
"NOTE: Sigma Pi Fraternity, International has been approved for expansion for the 2009-2010 academic year."

I didn't even know our IFC was open for expansion...we do have at least 2 empty fraternity houses (old Phi Beta Sigma house--not sure what is going on there b/c they were raising money to renovate two years ago, Chi Psi house).....DKE's house is empty but I think they are still here, they just cannot recruit or something.

Anyway, we did have a Sigma Pi chapter from 1957-1971 and then 1974-1991.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryana View Post
The AOII colony at Washington University SHOULD be installed this semester so would not be a 2009-2010 expansion.
I got the press release yesterday about this colony...they are a chapter now!
"ALPHA OMICRON PI INSTALLS 187TH CHAPTER AT WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS
Brentwood, Tenn.--Alpha Omicron Pi is pleased to announce the installation of its 187th chartered chapter. Delta Kappa Chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi at Washington University in St. Louis was installed on April 26, 2009. Susan Danko, AOII International President, served as the installing officer...."
Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
I got the press release yesterday about this colony...they are a chapter now!
"ALPHA OMICRON PI INSTALLS 187TH CHAPTER AT WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS
Brentwood, Tenn.--Alpha Omicron Pi is pleased to announce the installation of its 187th chartered chapter. Delta Kappa Chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi at Washington University in St. Louis was installed on April 26, 2009. Susan Danko, AOII International President, served as the installing officer...."
Yeah for Delta Kappa!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKTKKG View Post
I think Alpha Xi Delta is colonizing this fall at USC and Phi Mu will follow in 2011. I am pretty sure that AXD is coming this fall as the vote for Phi Mu was only a week or so ago. Anyone know for sure?
From Phi Mu HQ:

Phi Mu Fraternity’s National Council is pleased to announce that Phi Mu will colonize on three college campuses during the 2009 -10 school year.

Phi Mu will recolonize at Tulane University in New Orleans, La., in August 2009. Phi Mu’s fourth chapter, Delta, was on campus from 1906 - 1992. Once the Delta chapter is recolonized, it will be Phi Mu’s oldest active chapter, boasting a long history of achievement including two past National Presidents and two National Panhellenic Conference Chairmen.

Phi Mu will join the Greek community at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, S.C., in September 2009. This impressive Greek system consists of 34 fraternities and sororities and involves 17% of the undergraduate students at USC.

Phi Mu has also been invited to recolonize their Phi Iota chapter at Frostburg State University in Frostburg, Md., during the next school year. Phi Mu will absorb local sorority Kappa Tau Epsilon, an organization that values sisterhood, leadership, responsibility, and philanthropic endeavors.

Founded in 1852, Phi Mu is a women’s organization which provides personal and academic development, service to others, commitment to excellence and lifelong friendships through a shared tradition. Phi Mu promotes vibrant living encouraging members to achieve their personal best.

There is nothing on USC's panhellenic site to indicate any new chapters are opening in 2009-2010.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Tau Alpha Will Re-colonize at Kansas State

Excerpts from article in May 6 '09 online student newspaper:

. . . Zeta Tau Alpha sorority will be returning to K-State after being absent from campus for 68 years.

. . . ZTA will be allowed to re-colonize at K-State in fall 2010. Between now and then, . . . ZTA will be observing how recruiting is conducted.

http://www.kstatecollegian.com/zeta-...rity-1.1745444

And from the ZTA international web site:

http://www.zetataualpha.org/cms400mi...F.aspx?id=1198

Last edited by exlurker; 05-06-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 PM

Due to low numbers, the Chi Omega chapter at the University of Nebraska-Kearney was closed on April 27, 2009.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKTKKG View Post
I think Alpha Xi Delta is colonizing this fall at USC and Phi Mu will follow in 2011. I am pretty sure that AXD is coming this fall as the vote for Phi Mu was only a week or so ago. Anyone know for sure?

The only colonization that we have so far is San Jose State. Haven't heard anything about USC. Might have just been a rumor.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 05-08-2009, 06:43 AM
GreekChat Member

From the Phi Sigma Rho Sorority website:

It is with great excitement that we announce our next colony at Virginia Commonwealth University! There are 14 candidates and induction is planned for fall 2009 when they return to school.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I wasn't even aware of AXiD presenting at USC. My contact in SC mentioned that Phi Mu and AGD presented, and Alpha Phi was supposed to, but declined.
Actually AXiD presented in 2003 or 2004 (not sure which) at the same time Gamma Phi Beta did. Gamma Phi was selected and colonized in the fall of 2004. I had heard that AXiD would colonize this fall and Phi Mu was after that - so I guess that is wrong.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's clarify- University of Southern California OR University of South Carolina?

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Chi Expansions

California State University. - Sacramento; Sacramento, CA
Florida State University; Tallahassee, Florida