GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,234
3 members and 1,231 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 10-29-2013, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

LSU Spring Rush as a Junior???

I need everyone's honest opinion on if I should rush again or not, and/or advice on what to do.

Freshman year, I didn't rush. I didn't know too much about sororities until I met my roommate who got into Phi Mu. I got to witness all the awesome opportunities and activities she was able to do and really learn what sororities were all about, and I really wanted to join after that.

Unfortunately, my grades weren't so great; I had about a 2.4 GPA going into my sophomore year, but I still decided to try formal rush. I didn't have enough rec letters either, so it just wasn't looking good. I got dropped in the second round. I signed up for spring rush that following semester, but I decided not to go through with it. My grades severely dropped, and I ended up switching my major.

Next spring semester, I will be a junior. My grades this semester are a lot better, but my GPA is still pretty low. A lot of my friends are telling me to try rushing in the spring, but I'm not really sure. If my grades stay the way they are, I'll have a semester GPA of 3.25 and an overall GPA of 2.3. I'm involved in a couple other organizations/clubs at LSU, but I know for a fact that greek life is what's missing from my life. If I rush in the spring, I'll have 2 years left at LSU. I just wish my grades were better. Should I even bother to rush?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Will you regret it if you don't try? Just know that your GPA (and age) may hinder you.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 10-29-2013, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeflower View Post
I need everyone's honest opinion on if I should rush again or not, and/or advice on what to do.

Freshman year, I didn't rush. I didn't know too much about sororities until I met my roommate who got into Phi Mu. I got to witness all the awesome opportunities and activities she was able to do and really learn what sororities were all about, and I really wanted to join after that.

Unfortunately, my grades weren't so great; I had about a 2.4 GPA going into my sophomore year, but I still decided to try formal rush. I didn't have enough rec letters either, so it just wasn't looking good. I got dropped in the second round. I signed up for spring rush that following semester, but I decided not to go through with it. My grades severely dropped, and I ended up switching my major.

Next spring semester, I will be a junior. My grades this semester are a lot better, but my GPA is still pretty low. A lot of my friends are telling me to try rushing in the spring, but I'm not really sure. If my grades stay the way they are, I'll have a semester GPA of 3.25 and an overall GPA of 2.3. I'm involved in a couple other organizations/clubs at LSU, but I know for a fact that greek life is what's missing from my life. If I rush in the spring, I'll have 2 years left at LSU. I just wish my grades were better. Should I even bother to rush?
With a 2.3 overall GPA (which is what counts, not just your last semester) will you even be permitted to sign up for rush? Some campuses require a minimum 2.5 overall GPA to allow a PNM to participate in rush.

The chances of getting a bid with a GPA that low are extremely unlikely. Spring 2013 semester grades put every NPC chapter significantly higher. All sorority average was 3.24.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Spring 2013 semester grades put every NPC chapter significantly higher. All sorority average was 3.24.
Ha, this grade report is a total FERPA FAIL.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Well, THAT sent me straight to the Urban Dictionary!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:

Thanks for the urban dictionary suggestion. I had no clue and was just going to ignore it and move on

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess it's kinda hard to protect students when a chapter has 2 members and one is a pledge.

To the OP, beyond whether or not you COULD or COULD NOT register for recruitment, with a 2.3 cumulative GPA, I suspect that you would not be eligible for membership in most groups. Though, AOII is not present at LSU, you would not be eligible for us. The groups usually are not that far off from one another. I bet the friends that are encouraging you to go through spring informal either a) do not know your cumulative GPA or b) do not know their groups requirements for membership. Once upon a time, groups could tweak their numbers, but with the computer age, HQ/IO or whatever you want to call it has a closer grip on chapters than in those times so it's a lot harder to pass a NM by that doesn't meet standards.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 10-29-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 AM

I'm pretty sure that COR/Spring/Informal, you do not need a certain GPA to participate, but you DO need a certain GPA to be extended a bid. I'm pretty sure that a 2.3 cumulative doesn't cut it for any NPC group. The vast majority of NPC GPA requirements START at a 2.5. Individual chapters may even set theirs higher. As you can see, the average GPA of an LSU NPC sorority member is at or over 3.0.

By all means, rush. Just know that grades are one of a few things that are pretty set in stone for chapters. They might REALLY like you, but are generally not permitted to make exceptions to their GPA requirement for PNMs.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Your GPA is a huge hurdle. Whether or not they have a low GPA for pledging is not so much the question. It's the GPA required for initiation that drives the pledging GPA. It really does them no good to pledge someone they can't initiate. And it does you no good either.

You are certainly welcome to participate but you do need to understand that the deck is pretty well stacked against you.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I would spend the rest of your time in college focused on your grades. Greek life may just be something you've sacrificed in favor if whatever you were doing to end up with a low GPA.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Quote:
I thought she was referring to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act...

But maybe not...

(The damn thing won't download for me, so I don't know exactly what GPA info is included in the report)

@~/~~~~
Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

You aren't really asking us if you should rush. You're asking if you'll get a bid. Based on your GPA at present (which is < 2.3 and you can't count on improving it to that with a forecasted 3.25 until the semester is finished), you are a significant grade risk. And none of us can tell you what any chapter is going to do at your campus. However, you're competing with other PNMs who have proven that they can succeed in college. You can't wish for better grades. You have to work for them.

Harsh words, maybe. I'm just not going to dance around the facts. You can go through recruitment; be sure to do it with eyes wide open to any and all possible outcomes.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I thought she was referring to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act...

But maybe not...
Your FERPA makes a lot more sense than mine!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the things that you learn EVENTUALLY in life is that your actions right now can affect you far into the future. Not being a sorority alumna at 50 because of stupid behavior at 18 would be one example of that. Regardless of Mr. Peabody (and I'm SO excited for that movie), there is no way-back machine. You have to make good decisions the first time. Now none of us here can say we didn't make any stupid mistakes in college. I had things in college that I think really affected my future that I wish could change. But we do have to live with the repercussions. C'est la vie. You live, you learn.

Best of luck in your future adventures. I'm glad you've really turned your grades around. That bodes well for you, just probably not within a sorority.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
Thanks for the urban dictionary suggestion. I had no clue and was just going to ignore it and move on
What? Is there a dirty double-meaning that I missed?

My point was just that they should not be publishing grades when there are only one or two women in a category. If you know who pledged a group that only had one new member, you now know her GPA. I have seen other schools leave rows blank when this is the case.