GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,370
0 members and 1,370 guests
No Members online

Old 11-25-2005, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamsmanda
Wink

Thanks for your help!

Manda

Last edited by dreamsmanda; 09-20-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-25-2005, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Well, re: picking letters, two things you really have to take into consideration.

1) is the name used by another group? Check The Greek Info Pages And Local Sororities . Also run a general google search. This will help you narrow down your choices. Avoid using the same letters as another group, it just causes confusion. Keep in mind the different combos you can have (2 letters, 3 letters, 4 letters are the most common)

2) What are the core beliefs of your group? Why are you a group? What makes you different? what personifies you? These are usually what groups base their letters around, core beliefs, values, or things of ritual importance. Example: my letters, Tau Delta, derived from the original club name of Tomo Dachi, which was necessary because Greek Life was banned. The taking of greek letters was a huge event in our sorority, but we wanted to honor the Tomo Dachi roots, so there ya go.

Good luck, stick to it, and don't let negativity get you down. Starting a new club, any sort of club, is difficult, but with sisters at your side, anything is possible!!

Local love,
Tracey
Old 11-25-2005, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Good luck!

I think Tracey gave you some great advice

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 11-25-2005, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

hehe okay! Check I think those two things we have started.. I have a spreadsheet made of at least 120 sororities not including the ones that pop up everyday as i search more. We are all thinking about what letters would make us US We are currently the Aphrodite Gem Society.. it suits us well.. but we would really like to change from a girls society to a local greek...

Anyhow... so.. we have been doing those two things... how do we now.. Get the letters and have the right to use them... Do we have to become a business and go through the state? I have noticed some of the multi-culturals have inc. as a part of their name...

Once we pick our letters( which we haven't yet... they mean sooo much) What do we have to do keep them and make them ours!

Am I on the right track?

Thank you so much for your replies and help! This is such an exciting phase in our history!

Manda
Old 11-25-2005, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

ps! that greek pages you sent me to is amazing.. it could have saved me some time lol. thank you!
Old 11-25-2005, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

The Inc. is something that the NPHC and MC ladies would be better equipped to answer, but I believe it has something to do with the organization/ legal status of the sorority as a whole. Incorporation is a legal process, and varies on the state you're in. You do not necessarily have to be incorporated to be a sorority.

I have no idea how you start to associate your society with your eventual letters, but I believe it's a "just happens" sort of process (although, may I suggest some sort of unveiling ceremony? sort of a public announcement of your sisterhood?). The annoucements of some of the NPC's are pretty cool (KKG's wearing their keys in their hair to chapel, etc).

Anyone else advise? I inherited an "Established" local, so my knowledge of these things is a bit "passed down".
Old 11-26-2005, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

okay... so here is what i found out today.. according to the IRS under the 501 c 7 a local sorority that has an income of less than 25,000 a year....can be .... a non profit that doesn't have to be incorporated initially.

it can be registered as a non profit with the state......

haha. I just don't know how to do it!

It's some exciting news. I just had to share

I still need some help, advice and support. !

Thanks for your help so far!

manda
Old 11-27-2005, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I just happened to be reading this thread and I used to work for a corporate lawyer..check with your department of state..I know in PA you can do it online...they can help answer the questions and get you started on the paperwork! Good Luck!
Jamie
Old 02-03-2006, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATS!!!!!!

This has to be such an exciting time for you and all your sisters! Best of luck!!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Congrats to you and your sisters!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 02-04-2006, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Xi Zeta... I like it! I hope recruitment goes swimmingly
Old 02-06-2006, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kappiesgurl25
I guess it's kinda late now...lol

I was just reading throught the posts and I saw yours. It's kind of after the fact, but I thought if other groups are looking into naming I'd tell our story.

We started in 1977 and were the first sorority on our campus. We took a letter from each of the already existing fraternities, that helped us get off the ground. Since being local means you develop your own rituals and traditions, having that support meant alot to us. We wanted to honor their houses by making them apart of us.

There have been a few national sororities that have come and gone since we started and I still feel that we have the best and strongest history not to mention the strongest alumni following. Once you go Kappie you never go back!! Congrats to your new sororities I hope you make as many wonderful memories as we have within our house!