GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,276
0 members and 2,276 guests
No Members online

Old 02-01-2005, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Pregnant Pledge

Has anyone ever rushed/or intaked a young woman who was pregnant?

Is this downed on some sororities?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-01-2005, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Uh yes it is downed on by SOME sororities. Sometimes it just depends on the guy that got you prego.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 02-01-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I know of a chapter of Alpha Phi Omega who took a pregnant pledge. It also pledged her husband the same semester. (Alpha Phi Omega is co-ed, community service)

Randy
Old 02-01-2005, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Re: Pregnant Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by lifewithugs
Has anyone ever rushed/or intaked a young woman who was pregnant?

Is this downed on some sororities?
It's frowned upon by many organizations, not because it's seen as "OMG baby out of wedlock shock horror!" but because it's seen as "you're in school, and you're about to have *a child*. There's much more important stuff that you should focus on and will need to devote your time to than pledging a sorority and trying to go through mandatory recruitment events next year with a three-month-old that's still breastfeeding."
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally posted by naraht
I know of a chapter of Alpha Phi Omega who took a pregnant pledge. It also pledged her husband the same semester. (Alpha Phi Omega is co-ed, community service)
My chapter never took a pregnant pledge when I was there, but we had a married pledge in my pledge class (his wife was active VP of Membership, he was president of the pledge class) A couple years after I graduated, the spring semester chapter president found out she was pregnant shortly after taking office. (she was a senior) She held her office and gave birth over the summer.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

i agree w/ kateshort.

here are more comments on a similar topic:
http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...gnant+pledging
Old 02-01-2005, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
My chapter has never taken a pregent pledge. However, we have taken pledges that already had their baby. The girls in the house and chapter help out with the baby.

I really don't see anything wrong with taking a pregent pledge if she is willing to put up the time and financial stuff to be part of the sorority.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 02-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

the point is that

if the young woman has opted to keep her baby and wants to be a member of a sorority and go to school full time, something is going to be neglected and get less time and energy devoted to it, and i bet it will be the baby.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

That is pretty judgmental.

Just because a woman chooses to have a baby doesn't mean she can't also go to school full time, be in good sister, and be a good mom. A lot depends on her personal circumstances. Sometimes being a good mother means making sure that you have things which you do for yourself. Not every woman needs to be with her baby 24/7 to be a good mom.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:04 PM

Re: the point is that

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
if the young woman has opted to keep her baby and wants to be a member of a sorority and go to school full time, something is going to be neglected and get less time and energy devoted to it, and i bet it will be the baby.
That's a HUGE assumption.

Some people can do 10 things at a time and do them all very well. Some people can only do one thing and they suck at it.

And I agree with what HelloKitty said - you need to do things for yourself to be a good mom. The moms I've seen who are completely focused on their children and have zero outside interests or activities are pretty miserable people.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
SOME
Almost ALL. Whether they want to admit in public, or not.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

ladies,

i have two children who are now teenagers and i know how much time it takes to be a good and responsible parent, especially when the child is young. i also know how much time a sorority takes up in college, how much time classes take and how much time it takes to study and get good grades. something will be neglected if a young woman is a full time student, a single parent and a sorority member. if she neglects her studies she may be dismissed from school, thus making it harder to make a good living and be able to support the child. if she neglects her sorority duties she will be hassled by the other members and made to feel guilty for not participating in the activities. if the baby gets short shrift of her time, it really can't complain because it is a baby.i have also done volunteer work with unwed teenage mothers(which may have jaded my opinion) and most of them keep their babies, not realizing how much time, energy and money it takes to raise a child. they want to go out like the average teen to movies, parties, sporting events or just hang with their friends, but they often can't because of the baby, or the grandmother has to babysit. so yes i am judgemental. i feel that if a young woman (and i mean high school or college age) gets pregnant and keeps her baby, then the baby should be her top priority. and yes, mothers should treat themselves ,but the time and money it takes be a good, contributing member of a sorority will take time away from her baby. i think that you would find that most mothers treat themselves to the occasional manicure or pedicure, the occasional lunch with the girls or some quiet time alone. their treats don't happen everyday, cost a lot of money or take up hours of time.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I have two children who are 9 and 11 and I'm a single mom. I'm also a cub scout leader, a Province Director for AGD and I work full time. Granted, I was not a single mom when my children were infants but I may as well have been since my (now) ex-husband was worked 70 hours a week. I have also been a full time college student and sorority member. Going to college full time is MUCH less demanding than a 40 hour/week job. In college, I had 10-15 hours of actual class time with about 10 hours of homework a week. It wasn't even close to working full time. IF I had financial support from my family or lived at home, joining a sorority while in school full time with an infant would have been FAR less stressful than working full time, having an infant, a house to maintain, and volunteering for AGD.

Everybody has different situations. Every University has different types of students. I'm fairly sure I posted this in the other thread before, but if you're at a commuter campus in an urban area, this situation wouldn't be all that rare. If you're at a traditional 4 year University in the South, it would be very rare.

It just depends.

Dee
Old 02-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

but dee,

were you attending college full time , in agd and did you have a child at that time?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: but dee,

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
were you attending college full time , in agd and did you have a child at that time?
You're missing the point. Going to college and being in a sorority is often LESS time consuming than working a full time job. Are you also saying that if a single mother works full time she's neglecting her child?