GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 584
0 members and 584 guests
No Members online

Old 01-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Virginia Circle

This is the first time I've herd of it. Found out on the internet. The Virginia Circle are: Kappa Sigma, Sigma Nu, Kappa Alpha Order, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Alpha Tau Omega, Pi Kappa Alpha. It is funny that our manual never describe us (SigEp) as a member of the Virginia Circle. Learn something new everyday.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The years after the Civil War found a proliferation of American college fraternities being organized, particularly in the South. Pi Kappa Alpha's founding in 1868 was soon followed by the founding of Kappa Sigma and Sigma Nu. These fraternities, along with Alpha Tau Omega, Kappa Alpha Order, and Sigma Phi Epsilon, are known as the "Virginia Circle".

This is an excerpt from the "History" page on the Pi Kappa Alpha National website.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

We had to learn those six names as pledges, and I recall there was at least one "Virginia Circle" block party. The Miami Triad does similar things up north. I never understood why Phi Kappa Tau was not included in "The Triad".
Old 01-21-2005, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

The Miami Triad was Beta, Phi Delt and Sigma Chi, founded 1839, 1848 and 1855 - all on the same campus, within 2 decades of each other. That time period was a very important part in Greek history and her expansion (it is mentioned in probably every Greek Org. pledge manual). Beta, Phi Delt and Sigma Chi all were intertwined heavily (with DKE as well), so I am guessing that Phi Tau is not included as part of the Miami Triad, because they came along 65 years later (founded 1906).....
Old 01-21-2005, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by ZZ-kai-
The Miami Triad was Beta, Phi Delt and Sigma Chi, founded 1839, 1848 and 1855 - all on the same campus, within 2 decades of each other. That time period was a very important part in Greek history and her expansion (it is mentioned in probably every Greek Org. pledge manual). Beta, Phi Delt and Sigma Chi all were intertwined heavily (with DKE as well), so I am guessing that Phi Tau is not included as part of the Miami Triad, because they came along 65 years later (founded 1906).....
The Miami Triad are all Era I fraternities. Phi Tau is an Era III fraternity. I'd have to dig through some books, but I think that the phrase "Miami Triad" might predate the founding of Phi Kappa Tau.

Also, six existing national fraternities were founded at Union College, but only the first three compose the informal grouping known as the "Union Triad." My guess is that this is because these three fraternites are part of the lineage of most national fraternities. This lineage extends into the Miami Triad, and by the time that Phi Tau came along, there wasn't much to add in terms of adding to the taxonomy of national fraternities.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Well said. Basically what it comes down to in both the Union and Miami Triads, is they were formed well before the other orgs. came along....
Old 01-21-2005, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I had never heard of the Virginia Circle. My husband (KA Order) talks about the Lexington Triad (ATO Sigma Nu and KA) but never a Virginia Circle.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EPTriSigma
There is a Farmville Four