GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,289
2 members and 2,287 guests
PrettyBoy
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Girlene
That being said--your self-described comments of not being able to stop at a few drinks and needing 8 to 12 are a red flag-brother. I don't call that "doing it right". I call that a problem.

I don't know if I'd call it a problem or not. On one hand it'd be a problem if I went out all the time and was being like that, but don't really go out anymore. I don't have the time. It's maybe one night a week, if that. And you can thank being in a fraternity for the way I drink, amongst many other "problems".
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-06-2003, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Hazing is much different today than it was many years ago!

Getting you ass beat with a paddle and yelling "Thank You Sir, May I have Another, is rather out of dated!

When I started the Local, my first words were,"There Will be no hazing".

But we did have The Then Pledges come to the House on Sat. Mornings and do a clean up job on the common areas of the House!

They were made to attend study times to learn the History and to get grades.

There was "NO" physical abuse of any kind! I guess I was way ahead of my time!

Within the school Year, we were Colonized by LXA, and in talking wth the second in command, the idea of Pledge was going to be changed to New Associate member, no hazing was to be allowed. Worked for me as that is exactly what I had in mind!

Now, if you like to get your butt beat with a paddle, locked into a small room to think, then, you have another think coming!

Risk Management has become one of the Biggest Liabiliatys in National Greek Organizations. Insurance costs.

If you have any doubts that it still goes on, look up in the search at the bottom right for hoosier postings! It talks about a lot of Greek Chapters Kicked off of csampi and having thier Charter Yanked!
If you will perjur youself for the sake of your Fraternity when someone is hurt, they what kind of Brother are you?
Yes, and LXA has had its share even today!

If you think I am happy, you are very sadly mistaken! It sickens me!

cashmoney and Imthechamp, that is why you are not a Moderator.

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 10-06-2003 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cashmoney
Dude, with greek chat being how it is.....this is not a good idea. I'd delete your post asap.

And don't fall into any of the traps kddani tries to set for you.
Excuse me? I didn't ask him what chapter he was from, I don't give two sh!ts.
What gives you the right to jump all over me in 2 different places in this thread where I said nothing to warrant it at all? Get off my back. I don't talk to you, I don't usually even participate in any threads that you are a part of. Or at least have the balls to say who you really are...

/hijack
Old 10-06-2003, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cashmoney
I don't know if I'd call it a problem or not. On one hand it'd be a problem if I went out all the time and was being like that, but don't really go out anymore. I don't have the time. It's maybe one night a week, if that. And you can thank being in a fraternity for the way I drink, amongst many other "problems".
I wasn't trying to judge--just looking out for you.

Don't go blaming the fraternity for the way you drink--you made the choice to participate, and there's help available if you can't stop.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
I don't usually even participate in any threads that you are a part of. /hijack

Well you're apart of this one, now aren't you? And this is my thread, isn't it?
Old 10-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Girlene
I wasn't trying to judge--just looking out for you.

Don't go blaming the fraternity for the way you drink--you made the choice to participate, and there's help available if you can't stop.

Thanks for being an up and up AOPi . In contrast, though, I have every right to blame my frat for making me become the drinker I am today. I was actually a good kid before I got in a fraternity. I never even tasted alcohol while in high school. I maybe smoked weed once or twice. I didn't drink until I got to college and joined my GLO, after that it was all she wrote. I don't think it's bad enough for me to go get help. I'm not going to an AA meeting when I don't have to.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

cashmoney, while I do agree with kddani on manythings , and disagree with her on manythings, I disagree with you more!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Banned

Tom Earp, I'm fine with that.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

kddani: Brava! You can break it down like no other.

Quote:
Originally posted by gart
If you don’t want to be hazed then don’t join an organization that hazes it is that simple.
On a separate note, the man has a point here. What I don't get is people who see pledges being hazed on their campus, turn around and join that org, then get their panties in a bunch when the same is done to them. Crazy.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MoxieGrrl
What I don't get is people who see pledges being hazed on their campus, turn around and join that org, then get their panties in a bunch when the same is done to them. Crazy.
But how much hazing, especially physical hazing, is done out in the open? I had no idea who hazed on my campus until I became a part of the Greek system and saw my friends going through it with their pledge classes.

I can't believe some of the things I'm reading on this thread. I know that "I didn't go through it so I don't understand," but I CANNOT BELIEVE that anyone would condone or justify physical hazing. Someone made a good point back that while interviews and scavenger hunts are generally harmless, that's usually what makes way for physical and psychological hazing, which no one deserves. So in order to stop this "slippery slope," any sort of hazing needs to be banned.

I want my sister to respect me for the person I am and the things I have done in the past to make her sorority what is today, not because I told her she was worthless and made her drink until she blacked out.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Hannah
But how much hazing, especially physical hazing, is done out in the open?
You are right. I was thinking more the public humiliation route of hazing. There have been many tales about pledges being forced to dress crazy, do line-ups on campus, etc... that would make me NEVER want to join a group like that. Maybe I'm going down a slippery slope thinking, "Well, if the group does this to you in public, what would they do in private?"
Old 10-07-2003, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gart
Quote:
Originally posted by MoxieGrrl
You are right. I was thinking more the public humiliation route of hazing. There have been many tales about pledges being forced to dress crazy, do line-ups on campus, etc... that would make me NEVER want to join a group like that. Maybe I'm going down a slippery slope thinking, "Well, if the group does this to you in public, what would they do in private?"
I agree with you Moxiegrrl i completly disagree with the public humiliation route of hazing some groups on our campus do that and i wouldnt want to be a part of that either. Why would you want to make an ass of yourslef in public to me it just makes the whole organiztion look bad. But i disagree with Lil' Hannah. If you have no hazing at all then joining a GLO would be just like joining a ski club all you have to do is show up and pay your dues. There should be more to joining then that.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If you have no hazing at all then joining a GLO would be just like joining a ski club all you have to do is show up and pay your dues. There should be more to joining then that.
So those of us who joined a GLO that doesn't haze just joined a ski club???? D'oh! Wish someone would've told me that. I don't even ski!

I think everyone here, regardless of whether they were hazed or not, can agree that there's A LOT more to joining a GLO than paying dues. There is more to a GLO than paying dues, and there's more to it than being hazed or hazing new members. And if you don't realize that, then I really pity you for not having a true greek experience.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
But i disagree with Lil' Hannah. If you have no hazing at all then joining a GLO would be just like joining a ski club all you have to do is show up and pay your dues. There should be more to joining then that.
I'd strongly disagree with this. We do not haze at my chapter. Period. However, I'd challenge you to find a house that hazes and is any more tight than we are. I'd wager most on here were not hazed. Are you calling us members of the ski club?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-07-2003, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I was never hazed. Nor have I ever witnessed any hazing within my group. I am pretty sure our founders were never hazed, I see no reason why our new members should be.