GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,050
1 members and 1,049 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 10-27-2015, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Chi Alpha Resigns NIC Membership

Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. has resigned its membership in the North American Interfraternity Conference.
A proud and active member of the fraternity trade association for 106 years, Lambda Chi believes the NIC's new direction is counterproductive and does not support a co-curricular partnership with our host institutions.
The decision to resign was voted on and approved by the fraternity's Board of Directors.
"For more than a century, we have supported the NIC's efforts and advocated for its stated principles and values," said Fletcher McElreath, chairman of the Board, Lambda Chi Alpha. "Unfortunately, the NIC has recently elected to pursue counterproductive tactics that we believe are antithetical to our values and we cannot support them."
Recently, the NIC has been struggling from internal governance dysfunction that has led to in-fighting and the development of factions that are a distraction from the pursuit of the NIC's mission.
"We face many challenges in the Greek system today and this internal squabbling has rendered the NIC increasingly paralyzed in its efforts," said Bill Farkas, chief executive officer, Lambda Chi Alpha.
Lambda Chi Alpha prides itself on being an organization that meets or exceeds all NIC standards and the fraternity will continue to hold its chapters and members accountable to standards that are equal to or greater than those advanced by the NIC.
"Lambda Chi Alpha will continue to pursue the development of strong co-curricular partnerships with our host institutions across North America and to promote an environment where all like-minded Greek organizations can be successful," Farkas said. "Unfortunately, we will do so outside the umbrella of the NIC, unless or until, we are convinced that the NIC's policies and values are consistent with ours and consistent with the best interests of our campus communities."

http://www.streetinsider.com/General.../11005533.html
Old 10-27-2015, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

They are not the first fraternity to leave the NIC.

Taken from Wikipedia:

In 2002, Kappa Sigma, Phi Delta Theta, and Phi Sigma Kappa, withdrew their membership in the NIC due to disagreements with the strategic direction of the organization. Phi Sigma Kappa rejoined the NIC in 2006.[[45][46] On October 27, 2015, Lambda Chi Alpha resigned its membership in NIC citing a lack of NIC support for co-curricular partnerships with host institutions

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 10-27-2015 at 08:48 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-27-2015, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

What are the ramifications, exactly? The NIC doesn't oversee recruitment the way that NPC does...
Old 10-28-2015, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't personally believe there will be any ramifications, except the remote possibility that a school won't allow expansion unless the org is in an umbrella council. I think even those schools with that requirement would waive it for large, well-known orgs.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Would someone please explain to me the issues at hand? I know this has been going on for awhile but it's always talked about in oblique terms. What is NIC doing that is ticking off some of the largest fraternities in the US?

It would seem close to time for those, what, 8 or 10 fraternities to band together to make their own council.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:43 AM

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/562f8bc7e4b00aa54a4b26dd

If I reecall, back when Kappa Sigma resigned one of their main gripes was that as an NIC member, they were being forced to pay for initiatives and programming that essentially duplicated things they as an individual fraternity already had in place.

I think there's also a feeling that NIC should be acting as more of a fraternities as independent entities advocate, rather than just rolling over and playing dead for the schools when there are issues.

ETA: In this case, it seems support of the Safe Campus Act is a sticking point. I understand what this act is trying to accomplish, but a better idea than legislation would be educating students and the administration on why the whole "rape culture"/men vs. women mindset is so effed up, and that responsibility and respect for everyone (including yourself) should be the order of the day.

Last edited by 33girl; 10-28-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

The public reason they are giving is more related to the NIC's lobbying efforts on behalf of fraternities, which victims' advocacy groups have taken issue with. One of the major provisions being lobbied for is one requiring schools to notify law enforcement and cooperate with law enforcement when they receive notification of sexual misconduct allegations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b00aa54a4b26dd

Of course, that might be HuffPo trying to connect dots which just don't connect. No one has actually stated that as the exact reason for LXA leaving, and I would imagine that if LXA wanted to take such a principled stand, they'd at least come out and say what values they don't share with the NIC.

Having some experience in VAWA/Title IX cases, I do think there need to be some more tweaks to the system in order to ensure fairness for the accused and I do have some constitutional concerns about some of it as well.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-28-2015, 11:02 AM

Kevin, I read it in the reverse - the school can't do anything until someone goes to the police. Of course with the varying efficacy of local police departments and varying animosity of town/gown relationships, passing an act like this could have widely varying results.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Right, either way you read it, HuffPo has concluded that the NIC's objective here is somehow nefarious because victims' advocacy groups are against any proposed changes. Of course HuffPo has not a single quote from anyone with direct knowledge that LXA is leaving for this particular reason. I ordinarily have a lot of respect for HuffPo, but this seems to be a real lapse on their part.

In earlier coverage, they have interviewed a one or two rape victims who said they wouldn't have gone to their university had they also been required to go through law enforcement.

My feeling is that if you are going to accuse someone of something so serious as sexual assault or rape, we are talking about a serious crime. It shouldn't be something schools can potentially sweep under the rug by handling it administratively. Law enforcement does need to be involved, and if there is guilt, the rapist needs to be labeled as such, collect his sex offender registration for life card and do some prison time.

Right now, since law enforcement really isn't involved, when you as an attorney represent your client who is subject to a Title IX investigation, my experience is that a student's assertion of his 5th Amendment Right against self-incrimination can, with the standard of proof, such as it is, be considered an admission. The decision to cooperate and discuss things with the panel could result in that same evidence being used against you in a criminal proceeding.

This is all very new stuff and the appellate courts don't yet give us a whole lot of guidance, so we're looking at a lot of damned if you do/damned if you don't situations for the accused. And in many cases, the accused isn't guilty.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

On a tangent, if a member sorority chose to leave the NPC, what are the various ways that would affect things?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:09 PM

Well, on the one hand, they would be able to rush without NPC rules, could permit dual memberships, and could perhaps lift some of the policies they didn't agree with that were technically passed by each individual group, but are really a case of hive mind.

On the other hand, they would have zero recompense against members leaving them for an NPC sorority, and would get no courtesies during rush. It would really be a live by the sword, die by the sword deal.

But that is a whole 'nother thread.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Some interesting posts so far. But, I must stand behind the reasons LXA pulled out.

NIC has lost their perspective of what they were placed there for by The Fraternities who founded and paid for this organization.

The NIC holds no power over the Fraternities like the NPC!! This why schools will not keep any expansions from happening at any campus. NIC has become a lobby on behest of Greeks, but every time I have emailed them, they never replied to me. So what good are they? And that is one of the main reasons that maybe LXA and others have pulled out. They do not fully represent us. They unlike the NPC do not dictate to us.

For those who think Fraternities do not keep in touch are fools because they do.

Could I foresee a ripple effect, it is possible as look and see who has pulled out! These are old line or large fraternities. Not some fly by night groups. LXA also stated, if the NIC changes their values, LXA would be able to return to the organization.

BTW, LXA members led the group for many years.

Also, did any of you know that they owned the rights to Bairds Manuel?

There were of GCers who sought to by the rights from them. I contacted them and said absolutly not. While the last was the largest, it was the worst!

Let us see where this takes us as Greeks.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

What values? I'm sorry, but a public statement leaving us to speculate as to what values LXA thinks the remaining constituent groups of the NIC lack is BS. If it's change you want, specify the change. If you want to flounce for no apparent reason, LXA has left a script for that. The worst thing is it leaves a fact vacuum which publications like Huffpo are all too happy to fill.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ this is the question I was asking. It is still not clear what "values" are being lost or contradicting at NIC. The rape culture thing is even not clear. Is Lambda Chi saying they are tougher than NIC on this issue? That NIC is being too harsh? That something otherwise is just being done wrong? But that alone doesn't seem to be reason enough to make this huge change.

It kinda reads to me like Lambda Chi is flouncing over some undisclosed grievance and not that there is legitimate reason to disaffiliate. But without them being more clear we can't know that.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Tom, re your post:

Greviance #1: You contacted them and they did not reply. I don't believe they were ever an organization which worked with chapter-level advisors. They are intrafraternity policy, big picture driven. Our organizations are supposed to provide support to their own chapters. The NIC provides support and a voice to our organizations collectively.

Greviance #2: They wouldn't sell you Baird's. This is absurd. Of course they wouldn't sell you Baird's. Even if you were a serious buyer, I doubt they have plans to give up those rights to just anyone.

So far, you haven't provided a single thing which anyone would consider a valid enough grievance. To me, it looks like LXA wants to benefit from the continued advocacy of the NIC without paying for it as the NIC is going to keep on keepin' on with or without LXA.

This reminds me so much of workers who benefit from union negotiations who opt out of union dues. No one likes a cheapskate.