GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,533
1 members and 1,532 guests
navane

Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpimiz View Post
I wish they would quit interviewing these children. They are traumatized and don't need to be discussing the situation with reporters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
On that topic, a question comes to mind.

I've got news streaming in the background and I've heard some interviews of parents. The interviewers always ask how their child is holding up and they've all said, "oh they're doing really well, so brave, etc. etc."

I know nothing about child psychology/early childhood development but at that age are kids really processing this kind of information that quickly? I worry that there has been damage done that will not surface immediately.

That is not to criticize the parents at all--they themselves are trying to process. But I'm just wondering if it will take some time to have an effect on these kids?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I think it actually goes the other way...often children are a LOT more resilient than we give them credit for.
True - children can sense when something is wrong. They may not know the nuances but they get it. But please, PLEASE let these children and teachers receive the counseling they need to process this.

OAN... I really dislike the coverage about the shooter. I won't go into details but... it really rubs me the wrong way.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM

Do tell, tld.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

This really hits close to home, both as an educator and as a former resident of Fairfield county.The principal who was killed, Dawn Hochsprung,was also my little's assistant principal in high school. It's horrifying what people can be capable of...
Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

It really, really breaks my heart to think of how these parents have probably bought presents, etc and now their children won't be coming home for the holidays.

We live for each other.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Sad that I work with a girl named Sandy Hooks. I googled the name and found others. Feel bad for them!

At least there isn't too many people with the name of "Columbine" and "9/11".
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Why would do non-military people. need a high powered weapon that soldiers in Afghanistan use? Is Bambi really that threatening?

I am not asking about the "right"; I want to know the justification.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfly View Post
Why would do non-military people. need a high powered weapon that soldiers in Afghanistan use? Is Bambi really that threatening?

In this particular case, the majority of the killings were by a couple of handguns, not high powered rifles. It's a fundamental question of freedom here. Should there perhaps be some burden on gun owners to prove they are safe rather than a presumption that they are? Sure.

Should all guns be registered to their owners and owners be strictly liable for the damage their guns do? That'd be something to consider.

You can't take guns away from ordinary law abiding citizens though. Those of you on the East or West coast might not really understand what things are like in 'flyover country,' but out here many of us are basically responsible for our own security. If we call 911, a sheriff might be a couple of hours away or otherwise occupied. Having one of those high powered rifles could mean life or death.

And in more urban areas? Is contacting law enforcement going to do me any good when someone has kicked in my back door and is invading my home?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfly View Post

Short answer, no discussion from me.

It's not a question of "need". It's a creator-given right, to own a hunting rifle.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post

It's not a question of "need". It's a creator-given right, to own a hunting rifle.
Seriously?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Wow. Couldn't agree less.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

My friend had surgery and doing physically well. Thank you for the prayers. Please keep them coming for the families of those who lost loved ones. This will take a long time to recover from; it seems everyone I know, knows at least one or two of the victims. It's a small town, and everyone knows everyone. This corner of CT is "small" in that way.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 12-16-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/god...kill-rule,222/
Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby

http://www.theonion.com/articles/god...kill-rule,222/
I'm always amused by the God given right sentiment since I'm pretty sure God didn't write the 2nd amendment and guns weren't around at the time of the Bible.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 12-15-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I'm always amused by the God given right sentiment since I'm pretty sure God didn't write the 2nd amendment and guns weren't around at the time of the Bible.

Some folks apparently think this is a picture of the first presentation of the Bill of Rights.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Hey NRA! Let us know when it's ok to start discussing gun control, ok? It's obvious that you're in charge here.

I'm am sickened and disgusted, and I'm angry. Those poor children whose last moments were spent in sheer terror. The parents whose hopes and dreams for their children disappeared in a matter of minutes. I really hope the country can finally have a productive discussion about how we can eliminate this from ever happening again. The CO theater massacre, the Sikh temple massacre, the mall shooting in OR.... I hope the NRA will stop blocking every discussion we have. Maybe the solution isn't gun control. Perhaps it's better access to mental health programs. But, until the NRA stops telling us we're not allowed to discuss a solution to this problem every time something like this happens, we are going to have more of these senseless killings. The blood is on the NRA's hands.

And I'm sick of religious zealots saying that owning a gun is a God-given right mandated by the bible. It's not. And you do a disservice to anyone innocently killed by a gun by streaming that line of bullshit.

Last edited by ZTAngel; 12-15-2012 at 12:11 PM.