GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,424
2 members and 2,422 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-01-2008, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
*gasp*
You mean you have a reservation set up for us down there?!?!!

*starts practicing southern twang in case NC travel required, need.to.avoid.capture*
LOL. Some of us (yes, we = old) can remember when Cary was a small rural town some miles outside Raleigh. Over the last 30 years or so, it has exploded and now abuts Raleigh. In 1950 (no I'm not that old), there were 1K+ residents; in 1960, 3K+; in 1970, 7K+; in 2000, 94K+; in 2007, 125K+. It's now the seventh (I think) largest town in NC.

Much of the growth has been due to people moving from . . . elsewhere . . . because of Research Triangle Park. Hence, the epithet that Old Raleigh folk have given the town.

But don't worry -- I'll look out for my TAR partner.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
But don't worry -- I'll look out for my TAR partner.
'preciate that!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You mean the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees?
I've always heard Central Area not Containment Area.... not that it's a big deal one way or the other.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
it is most helpful when you share information that you either tell what campus you are on, the climate and culture of the campus and how competitive the recruitment is. sometimes the op might assume that you are attending the college they are asking about if you don't specify.
My apologies and thank you for the reminder! For clarification, I'm not at UNC, but in Atlanta. My school is small, not SEC or conservative, with a recruitment that isn't cutthroat, recs-to-every-house, cut-for-wearing-white-after-Labor-day competitive.

Sigma Sigma Sigma
Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
You mean the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees?
LOL!!!! Yes. My high school boyfriend (who was a truly sweet guy) was from Cary and sort of fit that description (born/spent his early years in Indiana). (We met at NC Governor's School and had a long-distance "romance." Ah, high school.)
Old 05-02-2008, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Take it out during recruitment. Put it back in after Bid Day.
It doesn't work like that. Facial piercings can close within a matter of hours after the ring is removed. She'd either have to get it redone after bid day, or use a spacer during rush. I've found spacers at Hot Topic (the ONLY reason I even set foot in that store) that are virtually invisible.

FWIW (and do take this with a grain of salt) - I was on the UNC Charlotte campus last Monday night and saw a TON of girls with nosepiercings. Note to Potential New Nosepiercers (PNNs) - it's NOT for everyone and it won't always end up where it was meant to. If you have a funny shaped nose, piercing it only draws attention to the fact that it's funny shaped. If you have a funny shaped nose, and you pierce it in an odd place, it's 10X worse. Maybe there's something else out there for you. The Potenial New Eyebrowpiercers (PNEs) have a reshaping program that's much less intense than reshaping for the PNNs.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

My last job was at a firm that was I swear, like 80% UNC alumni. I worked with many UNC sorority alumnae, and off the top of my head I can think of an ADPi, a Pi Phi, and a Kappa with nose piercings. I wouldn't get too stressed about it - throw in a spacer if you want to be on the safe side.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm at UNC, soon to graduate. I can name at least one girl in every chapter at UNC with a nose piercing. I would avoid a nose ring, just put in a little stud.

Hijack: Who the hell compared us with Dook? I'll kick your ass.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow!! Thank you for all the replies. I think I'll probably keep my tiny stud in, unless I work up the nerve to take it out and put a spacer in (so painful to take out!). Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

best of luck at recruitment and I hope you find the right fit
Old 05-03-2008, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Get recs!!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Just wanted to say that there are plenty people (myself included) that find nose piercings to be really unattractive. I think the studs make it look like you've got a zit on your nose. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's a possibility the sorority members meeting you for the first time may think the same thing.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Just wanted to say that there are plenty people (myself included) that find nose piercings to be really unattractive. I think the studs make it look like you've got a zit on your nose. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's a possibility the sorority members meeting you for the first time may think the same thing.
Very true. I have a big event today, so I put in a spacer (yeah, it can be a little painful, oh well). Even though I love my nose piercing, and there's a chance that the people I'm meeting will too, there's a bigger chance that they won't.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Slight hijack to future job seekers with facial piercings: PLEASE think about putting a spacer/tiny stud in when attending job fairs / interviews. Last week we had a booth at a job fair for college seniors in the area and the number of applicants that came through with tacky (not little studs or classy-looking rings) facial piercings was insane. I wonder how many of them got interviews with other companies - I know that out of almost 50 candidates we called in for interviews, none of them have facial piercings that I can recall. (Key words right there: They might have had them, but they didn't stand out.)

/hijack/rant
Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnatraAmore View Post
Slight hijack to future job seekers with facial piercings: PLEASE think about putting a spacer/tiny stud in when attending job fairs / interviews. Last week we had a booth at a job fair for college seniors in the area and the number of applicants that came through with tacky (not little studs or classy-looking rings) facial piercings was insane. I wonder how many of them got interviews with other companies - I know that out of almost 50 candidates we called in for interviews, none of them have facial piercings that I can recall. (Key words right there: They might have had them, but they didn't stand out.)

/hijack/rant
To hell with spacers and such, they should probably consider just taking them out if they're getting ready to graduate. UNLESS they're in a forgiving field like graphic design, art, etc. facial piercings will likely not be acceptable to their future employer. Get it out of your system now, college kiddos.