GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Kappa

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,596
3 members and 2,593 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands, Titchou

Old 10-15-2007, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Odd Sigma Kappa connections

So, I always explain to people that one of the great aspects of being in a sorority is that you have sisters EVERYWHERE. Any odd meetups of coincidences?

1) my mom's good friend turned out to be an alum of my chapter, and her sister is in my family tree. I didn't know either of these things before I pledged

2)I spent a summer in Washington DC doing an internship, and one of the Sigma Kappas in DC took me under her wing to show me around. We are still friends, and I was once stranded on Long Island (long story) and she had her mom take me in. Her mom kept introducing me to all of her friends (as her mom insisted on taking me out for tapas, and then dinner, and then drinks) as "my daughter's sister", which got some funny looks
Old 10-29-2007, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

There was a girl I always admired in high school who was a year or two older than me. I was in that awkward stage freshman year with the glasses and braces, and she was always so nice to everyone and also completely gorgeous. Well, as I'm bored on facebook at my work study job, I see her in the pictures of the global Sigma Kappa group! It made me smile a little bit.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a good one:
A neighbor saw one of my alumnae chapter members playing tennis with SK tshirt on. She told her that her niece was a SK and that in college she lived with her niece in the SK house (because they needed people to fill up the house, I guess), but she never pledged. Long story short - she started coming to our alumnae chapter meetings and everyone loved her. We recommended her as an alumna initiate and she was initiated the very next year. Now she is a sister and a very dear friend!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

This one is fun: My stepmom's client met her husband through the greek system at my college, though she wasn't a Sigma Kappa. He stole a picture of the Alpha house off our wall, and still has it decades later in his home. I'm in the process of getting it back so I can give it to my chapter as a present
Old 05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Growing up, whenever we joined the church we were given a mentor, turns out, mine was a Sigma Kappa! Totally didn't find this out until I was at a sisters wedding last week.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I had lunch a few weeks ago with a business aquaintance and, since my older son is a senior in high school and is looking at schools, we were discussing our college days. She mentioned that she was in a sorority and I asked which one, to which she immediately answered "Sigma Kappa!" Not only that, her husband was a Pike, as was mine. Made for a nice, fun afternoon.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My cousin got married a few years ago and when I met his then-fiance for the first time we started talking about college. I mentioned that I was in a sorority and she said she was too. I asked her which one and she said Sigma Kappa! Funny thing is, she went to school in Washington state and now lives in NC, and I'm from Rhode Island. Talk about sisters all across the country!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I found out my good friend from high school's mother was a Sigma Kappa when I headed back home the first time after being initiated. My friend saw my lavalier and told me very excitedly!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a few random ones.

1. My previous VP was a very strong-willed woman & did not tolerate nonsense or b.s. Needless to say, there were a lot of clashes between her & I due to me being equally stubborn. One day at work, tt was a student free-day so I was in shorts & letters cleaning out my cabinets (teachers are notorious hoarders). When she called out my name, I turned around & saw she looked ready to eat nails. When she saw my shirt, her entire demeanor changed. She looked so excited & said she was a Sigma Kappa from the Omega chapter in Florida. From that day on, fellow teachers remarked that she seemed to love me & was always so nice to me. Lol! I never told them the sorority sister connection. Alas, she retired but she's still nearby & she did express interest in joining the alumnae chapter.

2. Our new PE teacher saw me in letters at work. It turns out he's a TKE & married to a Sigma Kappa.

3. Mike was teasing me one day on the way to a BBQ with his friends. He teased me about wearing my SK flip-flops & lavaliere & making fun of sorority girls in general. When we arrived, his partner opened the door & her jaw dropped. She's a Sigma Kappa too. Mike turned red & knew he was in trouble when I told her how he made fun of sorority girls. Now he has me at home making him pay for those comments & her at work. Lol! We tag-teamed him to vow never to make fun of sorority girls again.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Last year we hired a new program director in our department. At lunch one day a group of us started talking about our college lives, and the new director mentioned that she was in a sorority. Of course I asked, "Which one?" and she quickly responded, "Sigma Kappa!" NO WAY! She is from the Upsilon chapter in Oregon and I am from the Gamma Tau chapter in Texas!