GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,505
0 members and 2,505 guests
No Members online

Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

A little OT, but to follow up on the Pref as Ritual statements... I hear this a lot, and always wonder, if pref ceremonies are ritual, they certainly can't be secret ritual, since at least half or more of the women attending will not end up being members. I don't ever recall back in the day, refering to pref as ritual, especially since our chapter's pref party activities changed radically at least once while I was an active, and pref ceremonies were not all the same across the boards in our chapters. But, that was when dinosaurs walked the earth.

//ok, back to regular programming......
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 PM

I just know that on here SOME (not all) sororities have said they do things in pref that are ritual. Obvi it's not the same as a sisters only thing, but I do think there's a difference between a potential member and a 25 year old male photographer.

(FWIW, I also can't quite understand the practice of letting professional photographers into private mixers and formals.)
Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I just know that on here SOME (not all) sororities have said they do things in pref that are ritual. Obvi it's not the same as a sisters only thing, but I do think there's a difference between a potential member and a 25 year old male photographer.

(FWIW, I also can't quite understand the practice of letting professional photographers into private mixers and formals.)
Why?

See, I didn't even go to a huge Greek school and we had photographers at formal. We also aren't really DOING anything at formal that I wouldn't want anyone else to see. I mean, girls bring dates who are obviously not in our chapter. The photo guys weren't usually old either (maybe 25 or 30). They also weren't really interacting with us. Kind of like the photog at a wedding, if he/she is good at what she does, you don't even notice him/her.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 PM

A formal is one thing that I can maybe see. I just don't think any of us saw the point of paying for it when we were all taking a zillion pictures anyway. Having a professional photog would have seemed a little too high school prom-like.

A mixer is quite another. By definition, it is a private party between a fraternity and a sorority...no one else to be admitted. Period.

I think this all goes along with my thinking it's stupid to have a t shirt for every single mixer, philanthropy, date party and other event. It's a generational thing.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:

I think this all goes along with my thinking it's stupid to have a t shirt for every single mixer, philanthropy, date party and other event. It's a generational thing.
Clearly. I don't know anyone in my age bracket who didn't LOVE getting shirts.

Part of the excitement of the event was seeing the tee shirt design. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A mixer is quite another. By definition, it is a private party between a fraternity and a sorority...no one else to be admitted. Period.

I just loved never having to carry a camera to events. Plus, as a new member, I got so excited when I got the prints in the mail with my letters on the bottom! It's also nice to have dated photos now that the events are from 6 or more years back.

My mom also had professional prints from events at her (small, northern) school. She still has a framed photo of her and my dad at an AGD formal with her letters, the event, and the date on the bottom, and I think it's cool that it's now on a shelf with a similar print of my husband and me at a DG one.

Like KSUViolet06, I loved getting shirts for everything. I still wear some of my favorites, but most of them stay in a box nowadays.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

We had the local photographer (Zap photos in Tuscaloosa) at everything, including rush - I have several pix from 1972 and 1973. I don't remember them interrupting our pref ceremony for photos, but I have a picture of me with a couple of rushees at second and third rounds. I've seen similar pix posted on Facebook by alumnae of our Auburn chapter.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 08-06-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Move in for actives living in the village was today. We had an early move in time, but some of those poor girls (and their families) were stuck moving things well into the afternoon. Temperatures near triple digits. Looks like everyone is gearing up for a great recruitment!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam713 View Post
Move in for actives living in the village was today. We had an early move in time, but some of those poor girls (and their families) were stuck moving things well into the afternoon. Temperatures near triple digits. Looks like everyone is gearing up for a great recruitment!
As I said in Post #25, stay dry and keep cool.

Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Are dorms/sorority houses in the south usually air-conditioned? In my day in New England, dorms weren't air-conditioned, which sucked because the end of August, most of September, and end of April into May were sweltering. These days, the warm weather seems to arrive earlier and stay later.

I can't imagine being in 98 degree weather and having to put your best face forward (for days!!!) when you're dripping, not to mention uncomfortable in dressier/more fitted attire that doesn't breathe as well.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

They usually are nowadays but the PNMs sometimes have to stand outside for long periods of time. It's brutal.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAZD2001 View Post

Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!
For a minute I thought you put this in your signature, which actually isn't a bad idea.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUMOMMY View Post
Does anyone take photos during Rush? Is there a site where others can follow along?
Why don't you just strap a web cam onto your dd's forehead?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
They usually are nowadays but the PNMs sometimes have to stand outside for long periods of time. It's brutal.
I was up at Auburn last year during recruitment, and I cannot understand why they didn't rent large tents for the PNMs to stand under for at least SOME relief from the sun. Hopefully they have addressed the issue thsi year.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:50 PM

Yes, do not forget to drink water.

Sometimes, girls get all made up and don't feel like drinking because they don't want to accidentally spill something, or mess up their lipstick or something (my teenaged cousins are so guilty of this at their cheer/dance competitions).

You look cute, but you won't feel cute nor look it when you get hauled off on a stretcher after you pass out.

Lakers Nation.