GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,118
0 members and 1,118 guests
No Members online

Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Advice on rushing!

Hello, I need some advice on rushing.

I just got my acceptance letter into West Georgia University. I am very excited and plan on rushing for the sororities on campus.

My school is not very big, but does have a new greek row. I am the first person in my immediate family to choose to rush and maybe join a sorority.

I don’t know much about it and do not have many people to ask about it. The one thing I am nervous about is I was home schooled, would that effect if I got into a sorority or not? I did maintain a GPA higher then then all the recommended GPAs for the chapter requirements and school for that matter.

I am very social and have many social skills and have won many awards and was apart of other types of activities and sports. I just did not attend a regular high school. I was not your typical stereotype home schooler.

So my two questions are. 1. Advice on rushing and does it matter if I did not graduate from a regular high school?

I might be able to get recommendations. If that would help.

Thank you. (I hope I posted this on the right page, I am new and this site is a bit confusing).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a great thread you need to read. The Sorority Recruitment forum has a plethora of helpful advice.

Good for you thinking far ahead to prepare for recruitment. And congratulations on your acceptance!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-27-2014, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Being homeschooled is not a problem. You may need to furnish your recommendation writers with a transcript, which you should be able to get from the overseeing agency, church, organization etc. under which you were homeschooled.
Best of luck to you!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

You will need recs so please pursue those. It matters not that you were home schooled. It's your GPA, activities, personal demeanor, recs, etc that matter.

And just an FYI, please be sure that everything you post - here or anywhere else - is proper and grammatically correct. It is "than" not "then" and "a part" not "apart" in your post above. Sororities check here and FB and they can figure out who you are.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

And it is "accept" not "except" in this usage. "from" not "into". "stereotypical" not "stereotype".

There's also the issue of fragments, capitalization, and punctuation.

Yes, it does matter. No, we are NOT being mean. It would be unfortunate for you to go to college and not make your grades. Sororities highly value scholarship.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

And "affect", not "effect". It is a common error, but now you know going forward! : )
Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You will need recs so please pursue those. It matters not that you were home schooled. It's your GPA, activities, personal demeanor, recs, etc that matter.

And just an FYI, please be sure that everything you post - here or anywhere else - is proper and grammatically correct. It is "than" not "then" and "a part" not "apart" in your post above. Sororities check here and FB and they can figure out who you are.

Ok, I am sorry about the grammer. I will make sure to check it. How can they figure out who I am without my name?

Thank you for your advice, I will be able to get recommendations!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Because you will probably be the only(or one of the few) home schooled PNMs.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
And "affect", not "effect". It is a common error, but now you know going forward! : )
I meant to type that and I do not know where my brain was. Thanks!

missR, please do lots of reading on GC, and send pms to us with your questions. We really do want you to succeed. You can even go back and edit your original post now to eliminate some details. It's all good.