GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,423
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, acheldarko1907
» Online Users: 2,783
0 members and 2,783 guests
No Members online

Old 04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

2007 Fall Recruitment Story

I love reading everyone’s experiences as they went through recruitment…so I decided I’d share mine!
For me one big factor in picking a college was Greek Life.
The school I ended up going to has 14 Sororities.

In alphabetical order they are:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa

It took me a little bit to think of names that I haven’t seen used…so I went with the characters from Lost, since there’s at least 14 of them haha!
Here they are in no particular order:
Claire
Eko
Jack
Sawyer
Kate
Sun
Charlie
Hugo
Libby
Michael
Walt
Boone
Sayid
Locke

When I went to recruitment I knew absolutely no one! I knew a few other people that were going to my school but none that were going through rush.
Unfortunately I had a bit of tough time at the beginning of the week because my luggage got lost at the airport! Luckily I ended up having an amazing Rho Gamma group who let me borrow some clothes!!
The first two days of the week we were split up into groups by our last names, they were huge groups because our school the most girls going through recruitment it had ever had…over 700 girls! I was towards the back of my line but I ended up getting along really well with 2 girls in front of me and the 1 behind me, which ended up being really helpful throughout the first few days…which you’ll read about!
Also since I didn’t know much about any of the houses I didn’t go in saying ‘I will only be in X, Y and Z houses. I’m really glad because it helped me judge the houses on the girls I talked to rather than their reputations.

I can’t remember exactly what chapters I visited the first day and the second but we went to 5 the first day then the next 9 the second day.
The first day I wore what I had worn the day before on the plane…since my clothes were still missing along with my bedding and towels!!! Luckily I actually brought my makeup and such on the plane with me!! I wore two tank tops (since it was almost 100 outside) dark blue with white under, jean shorts and sandals, everyone was pretty casual both days so I didn’t stick out too much!
The second day my bedding had made it to town but I was still missing my clothes! I wore the same shorts, different sandals and a free people tank top that a girl let me barrow…it was soo cute!

Claire
I remember that this was the first house I visited. Since I was at the back of the line the last sister had to pick up 3 of us. Luckily we had talked a little before hand so we were all comfortable with each other and weren’t competing for the spot light. Almost right off the bat I knew that I wouldn’t fit into this house, they were a struggling house but they did have a lot of diversity which I liked. Even though I knew I didn’t fit in here I really liked the girls I talked to, she was so friendly and talkative. She told us why she joined the house and how much she loved her sisters, you could really tell that she loved being a member of the house she was in. I was really glad that this was the first house I went to, talking to the sister made me really comfortable and relaxed about the rest of the week!
Eko
I remember waiting inline outside of the house and being surrounded by bees haha, all the girls were freaking out, luckily they don’t scare me too bad! At this house I had a 1-on-1 conversation with a girl who was AMAZING! We talked about why I was going through recruitment, I told her I wasn’t sure if it was for me but I thought I’d give it a shot. She told me about how each house is different for each person, she said her twin had been in the house but ended up dropping because it just wasn’t for her but she’s still friends with people in the house! This girl was just so genuine and just comfortable in her own skin, it really showed by her body language and everything she said! I talked to a few more girls that day but the first one really stood out.
Jack
The first thing I noticed was how light and airy this house was, it really made me feel comfortable. I talked to a few girls here and I remember it was such a tight squeeze in their dining room since there were so many people! I couldn’t really hear some of the girls I talked to….after saying ‘WHAT?’ a few times I just ended up smiling and nodding. The last girl I talked to told me about how diverse the house was, she talked about how there’s a lot of different groups in the house…I’m was all for diversity and wasn’t looking to be in a cookie cutter house but the way she talked about how diverse they were made me a little nervous…I know she was trying to talk up her house but it just came off wrong.
Sawyer
The girl I talked to in this house had a smile plastered on her face and never blinked! It was a little weird…it made me feel like I should just smile, nod and say ‘FOREAL?!? OMG!’ Needless to say I didn’t put this house on the top o f my list. I just didn’t feel a connection to say the least.
Kate
I loved loved loved this house! It was so amazing from the outside and even more on the inside. I talked to two girls (separately, no hot boxing of course!) who I connected with automatically. We spent the whole time laughing, on the point of tears because of it and there was never the ‘so yeah’ awkward moments. I really wanted to go back to this house later for house tour day!
Sun
I only talked to one girl in this house, she was pretty friendly but didn’t smile that much…when she did she looked like she was in pain. She talked a lot about booze, money and designer stuff…which made me feel a little awkward but I made the best of it and we got away from those topics. She told me how close she was to her sisters and how glad she was to have found the house. When I left I was kind of iffy on the chapter but all the other girls in my line had talked to amazing girls so I figured the girl I talked to was kind of a fluke, I wanted the give them another shot.
Charlie
I loved this house right away. The girls were so cute when they came out to get us, and the girl I talked to was amazing. In this house we doubled up (2PMN/1Sister) which wasn’t awkward since I was with the girl behind me in line. We were pretty similar so we just kept the conversation going. I really wanted to go back to this house the next day and really wanted to talk to the same girl again, she made me feel at ease…and so at home!
Hugo
I the outside of this house was kind of funny looking, almost hotel looking, however the inside was amazing! We doubled up for this house, again with the same girl who had always been with me, and we talked to a sophomore. I’m pretty sure this was the fist house of the second day because the girl we talked to was pretty nervous…by the end she ended up being really funny! She talked about how she had just moved in during work week and it made her wish she had moved in sooner because she became so close to the other girls in her house. This house didn’t stick out too much but it was defiantly one I wanted to visit again!
Libby
I’d talked to some pretty down-to-earth girls at other houses but nothing compared to the girl I talked to here. She was exactly like me, we talked about how wearing jeans around the house just felt awkward and how she loved to just curl up in her PJs or sweats and a sweatshirt and just hang out. We ended up laughing the whole time! We talked about how fake some of the girls going though rush were, no on in particular…well I guess I shouldn’t say fake but some of the girls woke up like 3 or 4 hours before we had to meet just to get ready (we all had to meet at 7am!!!) and would only talk to people in line if they were wearing designer clothes!
Michael
This was the only house I semi-knew about before rush so I did end up going into rush really wanting to be a part of this house. One the first two days of recruitment at our school they are allowed to sing/chant…we’d all heard that this house did something scary, but we weren’t sure just what it was. We were standing in line when all the sudden they hit the windows really hard to start off their song...everyone screamed and it was pretty funny. I talked to a girl who had the same major and played the same sports as me, planned ahead of time of course haha! She told me about the types of things the house did as a group and things like that…she also told me stuff no other house did. She talked about school, what classes she liked, etc. and asked me what classes I was taking and even if I had any questions, which was pretty cool. I defiantly wanted to go back to this house!
Walt
I talked to 3 girls in this house. It was pretty cool because the front of the line ended up doubling up rather than the back of the line. The first girl I talked to was pretty down to earth, you could tell she was nervous and the conversation didn’t flow well but it was towards the end of the day and we were both pretty tired! The second girl I talked to was extremely nervous, her eyes kept darting around the room…but she did tell me sorry, that she was kind of awkward which made me laugh. She talked about how she’d joined during informal and loved getting to know all her sisters. The last girl I talked to sat down, we introduced ourselves and the bell rang, meaning the party was over…we laughed because we hadn’t even said more than 10 words to each other.
I wasn’t sure what I thought of this house…not my top but not my bottom either.
Boone
This house kind of reminded me a grandmas house…but the inside was super open! I talked to the president, she was pretty monotone but still interesting. She cracked a few jokes and told me what made her join the house. I didn’t connect to her well but someone next to us spilled their drink so that made everything a little less awkward.
Sayid
Sayid, Sayid, Sayid. This is thought to be the ‘top house’, the ‘rich’ house. I thought it was funny to find that out later since it didn’t stick out at all to me! Sure it was full of blonde, skinny girls wearing tons of diamonds and other jewelry but it didn’t catch my attention. The girl I talked to was so fake…she was overly tan, too much makeup and hair that looked like it took her hours to do, almost prom style. The only thing I remember was when I asked her what she does for fun in the house…her response? ‘We like totally just get together…like a group of like 60 of us and like watch movies and play games’ Puh-lease. The way she said it was the fakest thing I’d heard all week. I made the mistake of saying I’m paying for part of my schooling…that got an interesting facial reaction. I didn’t want to go back.
Locke
I really liked the look of this house. I talked to a brunette…in a house almost full of blondes…she talked about partying for a few minutes but I think she was pretty nervous, once we got off of that subject it never came back up. She told me about house points, study tables, sisterhoods, etc. It was pretty informative since I didn’t know anything about them. I wanted to go back the next day.

That night I went to pref from top to bottom.
1 Michael
2 Kate
3 Charlie
4 Libby
5 Locke
6 Eko
7 Hugo
8 Sun
9 Boone
10 Walt
11 Jack
12 Sawyer
13 Claire
14 Sayid

We could be invited back to a max of 10 houses the next day
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, that would have been so stressful not having your luggage!!! What a blessing to go through recruitment with no preconceived reputations. I like the way you're telling your story - keep it coming!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

im reallllllllly excited about this story since LOST is my fave show!!! iM voting for Claire!!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

another story!!! Yay- I love reading these! More please!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I would have been in an absolute panic if my luggage had been...ahem, LOST by the airlines! I love a good play on words! Keep it coming! I like Kate.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

This story is great so far - and it has Sigma Kappa! Yay!

I don't actually watch Lost (every time I try, I get lost ), so I'm going with Kate just because.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm cheering for Claire because that is my little's name.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Yayyyy Lost!

OH, and I like your story, too.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE LOST!!!

I also love recruitment stories, expcially ones that have Theta in them!

I am going for Charlie so far!

Please give us more!!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The 3rd day was ‘House Tour Day’…so, obviously, we went on house tours haha.
My luggage finally came in!!! Now I could actually wear my own clothes
For the third day I wore some knee length jeans with a white longsleeved sheer shirt with 3 wooden buttons and parts of the shirt had flowery designs (sounds kind of weird but is totally cute) with a bright blue tank top underneath it with gladiator styled sandals.
Luckily it was a little cooler that day and our Rho Gammas gave us all water bottles!

We had to meet at 7 in the morning then walked to a big lawn where we all got breakfast.
After breakfast our Rho Gammas handed out our bid sheets. Luckily no one in my group got less than 7 chapters to visit (since our cap was 10), usually after the two days a lot of girls get less than 5 houses because of their high school grades.

I was so excited to get ALL 10!!! WOOHOO!
The following are the chapters that did ask me back:
Charlie
Coone
Jack
Eko
Libby
Michael
Walt
Claire
Sun
Hugo

These chapters did not ask me back:
Sayid
Sawyer
Kate
Locke

I’ll admit I was pretty disappointed about Kate but there is known for being amazing recruiters so most girls ranked them #1. Oh the other hand I was really happy with most of the houses I got asked back to!!

I wish I had ranked Sawyer a little higher but it’s ok.

Not getting back to Sayid didn’t get me in the slightest.

I was a little sad I wasn’t going back to Locke but since recruitment every time my house has tried to interact with them or do anything nice they’ve been completely rude, which really sucks because I’m sure they do have some nice girls. Goes to show you how a few peoples actions can hurt the reputation of their house.

Here’s how the day worked its self out!
Charlie
I got the same girl I did the day before, only this time it was 1-on-1. I loved their house. In their rooms the walls are like bulletin board material (not that brown stuff) so the girl I talked to said that they like getting big sheets of colored fabric so you can really spice up your room. I really liked their sun porch, it’s pretty hidden…so the frats can’t see you. We paired up with another PNM and Sister when we went into one of the bigger rooms…it was a little intimidating because the other PNM was so loud about everything with a bunch of ‘OMG SOOO CUTE’ ‘LIKE NO WAY, TOO FUNNY!’ needless to say I didn’t get too much talking in but I felt ok about it because I had talked to my girl the day before. During the house tour we went to their big lounge that was on the top floor and all the seniors were just sitting there glaring at everyone that walked by and whispering about us…it was really awkward. We ended up going outside to a porch type thing and I talked to another girl…but a bee was chasing us because that day we had lemonade, so the bees were CRAZY!
Boone
I liked this house, again I talked to the president and yet again I had another PNM who talked-talked-talked, barely pausing to breathe. The house had a pretty cool layout…but they didn’t turn on any lights so it was a little dark. After this house tour nothing really stuck out to me. They did put all their drinks in starbucks cups…I don’t know if they actually got them all from starbucks but yeah.
Jack
I liked this house, from the front it doesn’t look too big but it just kept going and going! The girl who took me around got really into me…she kept being like ‘I love you’ ‘You’re too cute’ ‘I’m so glad I got to talk to someone so down to earth’…it got a little awkward, not to mention that she kept getting really really close to me. I did like a lot of the house and things they did so I kept this in the middle of my list.
Eko
For some reason I wasn’t as talkative at this house, well at least not to the sister. We did another 2PMN/1Sister, unfortunately it wasn’t the same girl I’d been with before since it wasn’t alphabetical. The girl I talked to was really bland, she seemed to almost lack a personality. She tended to talk at a whisper…so the other PNM and I ended up talking the whole time. I really wished I had gotten someone more talkative because I really like the house!
Libby
It was really cool, when I got picked up outside of this house I introduced myself to the sister and she said ‘You’re [my name]!? I’ve heard so many good things about you!’ This made me feel amazing and really loosened me up for the rest of the party. Before the house tour we talked for a little bit and the girl who I had talked to the day before left her PNM to come over and say hello to me!!!!! I really liked their house…the presidents room is HUGE! Everyone seemed really excited to be there, it really made me love the house!
Michael
Yes, I was so excited to get invited back to this house! They had music blasting and girls dancing on the way in so I got down a little haha, just trying to break the ice and show them I’m down for anything! The first girl I talked to way so awesome! We couldn’t stop talking…when her sister came over to get me for the house tour she said ‘No, I wanna take her, I love her!’ I did end up going with the next girl but wished I hadn’t. She didn’t smile or sound excited at all. I ended up having to make all the conversation. All she could say was ‘Do you have any questions?’ I’m sorry but I think that’s one of the most awkward questions because it’s hard to come up with one right away and if you say no it could look like you’re not interested. I left the house feeling kind of awkward but thought I’d still rank it semi-high because I liked the other girls I had talked to.
Walt
When I went to this house I was picked up by the second girl I had talked to the day before.
I could tell she still felt pretty awkward but she was pretty talkative to me anyway. I really liked the layout of their house, it looked really small from the front but was HUGE inside because they had a part that went behind the house. They did have a sleeping porch but the back part of the house had rooms with beds in them, so if you got enough house points you could be in one of those rooms! When we went on the sun porch one of the guys at a frat across the street mooned us haha (the house across the street was doing slip and slip aka they just wanted to watch all the new girls run from house to house), I have a pretty good sense of humor so I thought it was funny and it made the girl I was talking to loosen up a lot more.
Claire
I talked to the same girl as the day before, I really liked her but didn’t like their house, not the girls just the way the house was decorated, it looked like they didn’t really care. I could still tell I wouldn’t fit into this house but a lot of other PNMs were being really rude to the sisters they talked to so I tried to be as nice as I could because the girls in the chapter truly love their house and sister!
Sun
Their house seemed a little cramped with all the people in it but the girl I talked to was pretty nice. Nothing really stuck out to me but I remember that they had the biggest sleeping porch, it was really nice and open…but I did think it was weird because for the bunks that were up against each other had big plywood boards in between them…it looked a little odd. I really liked their sun porch as well, it was really hidden and in direct path of the sun!
In the end I talked to the first girl I had talked to, she ended up talking about money and stuff again. BLAH! It really turned me off of the house.
Hugo
I still thought the outside of this house looked pretty weird but the inside ended up being huge! I talked to a girl who was from the same area as me, it was cool because she was like ‘As soon as I saw where you were from I knew I had to talk to you!’ We had a really good conversation but honestly nothing really stood out about their house. I think they were the only house to have TiVo...that’s about it.

At the end of the day I had to rank them from top to bottom:
1 Michael
2 Charlie
3 Libby
4 Eko
5 Walt
6 Boone
7 Hugo
8 Jack
9 Sun
10 Claire

You could be invited back to 6 the next day.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't watch lost so I'm going to randomly guess you went for a chapter that is three times better with the same letter, or Alpha Gam
Old 04-11-2008, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Love this story!!!

I believe in friendships formed at the spring time of my youth...

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 04-11-2008, 12:43 PM

I am so excited for her next post!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 4

The 4th day was philanthropy day. We could go around to 6 houses max and learn about their philanthropies and how their houses help out with them!
When my Rho Gam gave me my sheet telling me what houses invited me back I was a little disappointed. I only had 5 houses to visit, but a lot of girls had less than me so I wasn’t complaining.

The following houses asked me back:
Claire
Libby
Walt
Boone
Jack

These houses didn’t ask me back:
Michael
Charlie
Eko
Hugo
Sun

I was pretty sad not to see Michael back on my list but the girl I talked to didn’t seem too interested, plus I liked most of the 5 houses I was going back to!
Seeing Charlie gone was sad but the looks that the seniors had given the people the day before made me not want to be in the house anymore. I wanted to be in a house that was full of friendly people
Eko, Hugo and Sun weren’t really too big of a deal for me, yeah they were cool but not the right fit for me.

At the 5 houses we visited we did a lot of crafts…I won’t say exactly what we did because that’ll give some of them away!!!

Claire
At this house we used paints…me being me I the paints all over my hands! I still knew this house wasn’t for me but I felt really bad because the other girls at my table straight up refused to talk back to the girls whey were with. The sister I was with and myself did the most talking of about anyone in the room.
Libby
I was really excited to go back to this house! Again the girl from the 1st day came over and told me she was glad to see me!!! The girl I was paired to on that day also said she’d heard a lot of good things about me, which made me feel really great! Their activity involved glue so I left leaving with really sticky hands haha! We watched a video at this house, it was pretty good and was a relief because my member and I had started to run out of things to talk about. When I left the girls from the 1st day came over again and told me should couldn’t wait to see me the next day!!
Walt
I really started to like this house. I talked to an amazing girl who was just on my level and wasn’t afraid to laugh about stupid things! We did some coloring and drawing…I felt a little stupid since I’m not the most artistically inclined person and she was but it ended up being really fun. We watched an amazing video about their philanthropy, it really made me start thinking about seriously being in this house.
Boone
I had kept this house towards the top…until philanthropy day. The girl I was matched with was so rude. When ever I said anything she shushed me, she only wanted to talk to her other sister at the table and she wouldn’t let me even touch the crafts. It ended up being the her and her sister talking and me and the other PNM just sitting and watching them talk and do the crafts. Looking back I wish I would have said something besides just asking her if I could do the crafts too (to which she said no). It’s a shame because I really was starting to like this house and thought about actually joining it.
Jack
This is the other house I was really starting to like! Before we went inside their house mom came out to get the mail and their mail box almost fell off! It was pretty funny and the house mom took it in stride and made a little joke about it, which actually calmed my nerves as well as someone the girls nerves around me. We did some coloring and it was really fun! The girl I talked to was amazing, we talked about how fake other people were starting to get, how the PNMs would say anything they thought the members would like rather than saying what they actually thought! I defiantly knew this house was going to be towards the top. When I left I felt really good about it, I even hugged the girl goodbye and told her I really hoped to see them the next day!

That night when it was time to rank the houses I knew right away what I was going to do.
1- Libby
2- Walt
3- Jack
4- Claire
5- Boone
I did have a hard time choosing which one to put at #5. I knew Claire wasn’t for me at all but the things that had happened in Boone that day made me rank them the lowest, especially since the Claire girls had been nothing but nice to me all week!

The next day was preference day where we would be asked back to 3 houses max!

I'm not sure how many people are reading this but can anyone guess what school I rushed at?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you updated! I love this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007PNM View Post
Boone
I had kept this house towards the top…until philanthropy day. The girl I was matched with was so rude. When ever I said anything she shushed me, she only wanted to talk to her other sister at the table and she wouldn’t let me even touch the crafts. It ended up being the her and her sister talking and me and the other PNM just sitting and watching them talk and do the crafts. Looking back I wish I would have said something besides just asking her if I could do the crafts too (to which she said no). It’s a shame because I really was starting to like this house and thought about actually joining it.
Good LORD. I am just at this.