GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,405
2 members and 1,403 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 08-09-2017, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as an exchange student

Hi!

I am going to be an exchange student at William & Mary for my junior year, and I was considering going through recruitment. My country (I'm from England) does not have sororities, and I would love to have the opportunity to experience one while I'm in the US, get involved on campus and meet lots of people.

I was wondering if it is at all likely for me to be able to join a sorority, even though I will only be at W&M for a year?

Thank you for your help
Old 08-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

It really depends on the campus; one of my daughters' chapters had a European student,. I have heard of some schools letting exchange students rush as free choices (they don't count against quota).
Old 08-09-2017, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting, I'll try and look into it! I think I'll go along to recruitment and see how it goes. I'd like to be part of a sorority, but I won't be heartbroken if it ends up not happening.

Thank you for your help!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Consider the costs of joining in your decision. The first year is the most expensive.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

We've had a few exchange students as members. I know it's totally different on the fraternity side, but it has always been a great experience for the members and for the individual. One of my fellow founders was Japanese. His grandfather was an American POW (a Japanese prisoner of the U.S.) in WWII and had talked up America to his family ever since the War as back in those days, we treated Japanese POWs far better than they expected to be treated.

We've kept in touch for around 20 years and he actually flies in every few years for alumni events. This can be a very special experience and a really unique way to immerse yourself in the U.S.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-09-2017, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a graduate student at W&M, so not directly involved in Greek life, but recruitment is not so competitive that you wouldn't find success, I think. Are you going to be there for the whole year? That will help you.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

UCLA gets many exchange students who go through recruitment - even if they are only there for a year! I would say that most chapters have at least a half dozen exchange students in their membership.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I'm going to be there for the whole year - it's good to hear that W&M recruitment isn't super competitive, thank you for that!

How expensive does the first year tend to be?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, I looked for that information on their website and couldn't find anything. W&M does have houses but they're fairly small and old so they're not going to be thousands of dollars a semester in dues if you don't live in.

I'd email one of the staff members here to ask about costs.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We have an Alumnae Chapter in the UK -- you can read about it here. And, there's an email contact in case you'd like to talk about sorority life, and maybe make a connection for a possible recruitment recommendation, because we have a collegiate chapter at William and Mary. Just sayin'....

https://www.gammaphibeta.org/sites/d...l/page-19.html
Old 08-10-2017, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Brilliant, thank you both! I'll look into that Money isn't a massive problem, but thousands of dollars would be! It's very cool that there's an alumnae chapter in London, that's a fantastic idea!
Old 08-10-2017, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I will add that while W&M recruitment is not competitive and recommendations aren't common, in your situation they will be helpful explaining who you are and your interest in Greek life. Whether you get them from an alumnae chapter or personal connections, I think situations like yours are where they help most, since you won't know anyone coming in to recruitment.

Here is the link about them, but feel free to message me if you have more specific questions!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! I'll definitely look into that everyone has been so helpful!
Old 08-12-2017, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, also has both a chapter at W&M and an alumnae association in London. There's an email address for the AA here:

https://www.kappakappagamma.org/Kapp...aspx?id=301649

Good luck with recruitment! Even with just one year of collegiate membership, the sorority experience is so worth it. Enjoy your year abroad!
Old 09-02-2017, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi!

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your help - I've been through one round of recruitment so far, and I've enjoyed it so much! All of the houses have been so welcoming, and I've met some great women already! I'm so glad I decided to go through with it