GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,612
0 members and 1,612 guests
No Members online

Old 05-31-2009, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Needing some serious help.

I'm starting college in the fall at an art school. I was a member of a high school sorority and was really looking forward to pledging come fall, but I found out that my school does not have a Greek system. I immediately started looking up the steps (thanks to greekchat ) to go about expanding a national, starting a local, anything. I've even made a four year timeline. I wrote to the Dean of student affairs to plead my case against the stigma and stereotypes. I could tell he had not read my letter thoroughly by his response. I'm planning on writing a reply letter back, touching on his issues of discrimination (even though the only groups on campus are those for certain nationalities, religions, races, or sexual orientation, all of the aspects he said sororities discriminated against, ironic isn't it?)

I tried putting a feeler letter out in a group for incoming freshmen and the little response I did receive was negative.

My question is, Where do I go from here?!

help!
Old 05-31-2009, 03:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbisunshine View Post
I'm starting college in the fall at an art school. I was a member of a high school sorority and was really looking forward to pledging come fall, but I found out that my school does not have a Greek system. I immediately started looking up the steps (thanks to greekchat ) to go about expanding a national, starting a local, anything. I've even made a four year timeline. I wrote to the Dean of student affairs to plead my case against the stigma and stereotypes. I could tell he had not read my letter thoroughly by his response. I'm planning on writing a reply letter back, touching on his issues of discrimination (even though the only groups on campus are those for certain nationalities, religions, races, or sexual orientation, all of the aspects he said sororities discriminated against, ironic isn't it?)

I tried putting a feeler letter out in a group for incoming freshmen and the little response I did receive was negative.

My question is, Where do I go from here?!

help!

If the school does not want to support a Greek system, there's really not much you can do.

Did you ask why there's not already a system in place? I don't think I've ever heard of an art school with a Greek system. Did your campus have fraternities and sororities in the past? If so, try to figure out what happened. That could be the reason the school is against having them now.

As far as the "feeler letter" is concerned --

1) The Dean may have felt that you went behind his back by conducting this "study."
2) If the responses were negative, why would you still want to push it?

Last edited by knight_shadow; 05-31-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh no, I meant I asked around first, just to see if I could have some support. Only one girl replied and she stated that she knew what the sororities were like at some school in Georgia and that all they do is discriminate. The Dean asked why couldn't I just join another club.

I've looked and I haven't found any traces of a greek system there except for an honor society for design or something.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:29 AM

There may not be a whole lot you can do at this point.

The school HAS to allow Greek Life in order for you to start a sorority.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, thanks guys :]]
Old 05-31-2009, 05:15 PM

Art schools and Greek life usually don't mix.

Aside from the giant time commitment, (sweeping generalization ahead) many art students are of the mindset who would never join something they feel fosters stereotypes like a sorority, whether that's the truth or not.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Art schools and Greek life usually don't mix.

Aside from the giant time commitment, (sweeping generalization ahead) many art students are of the mindset who would never join something they feel fosters stereotypes like a sorority, whether that's the truth or not.
Off topic, but I just found this amusing because my little was an art major
Old 05-31-2009, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Heh, I was an art major as well, and I loved my sorority! But I do get where art colleges are generally less inclined towards those sorts of things.

Not to discourage you, but this is going to be one heck of a battle. Something you could look into would be fraternal groups that exist outside of your college. You didn't mention where you are going to college, but you could investigate groups like Beta Sigma Phi (http://www.betasigmaphi.org/index.shtm) which could help you fill that need for sisterhood and friendship. There are a couple other non-collegiate sororities that might be operating in your area.

Relevant thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54756

I know this might not be exactly what you were looking for, but it is of course an option. Good luck with art school!