GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,102
1 members and 2,101 guests
FSUZeta

Old 12-23-2012, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Informal Recruitment Promoting

Hey everyone!
My chapter is doing informal spring recruitment. I am the new VP public relations & marketing and I need to plan pacing and promoting ideas for the first week back from school when informal recruitment starts. Does anyone have an cool or cute ideas of how to promote our chapter around campus during this week besides wearing certain shirts on certain days? I'm trying to think of something more clever and fun!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-23-2012, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

It might be too late for this, but a cute idea I've seen is having buttons made up that sisters can give to guys on campus before recruitment starts. It's a popular thing to wear these on backpacks, at the campus where I advise. Fraternities and sororities do it...it's a nice all-around PR move and you will see students with multiple buttons for various chapters. Usually, they're easy to read and simple, like Go Gamma Phi, etc.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:18 AM

How big is your campus/Greek system? Things that work well for a large campus where a majority of people don't even know the names of all the GLOs can be seen as "trying too hard" or "desperate" at a smaller campus.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek life is a big deal at my school everyone knows all the sororities and frats. What ideas did you have in mind 33girl? And thanks science woman sounds like a great idea to look into!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

What about setting up a table in a high traffic/visibility area of campus for your philanthropy? For example, you could have a bake sale and let interested students know about recruitment opportunities when they purchasing baked goods.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have a house or a building that you use that you could hang a banner from? Can you chalk in different areas on campus? T-shirts for Frat boys if it is in the budget with a cute slogan? Can you write on members car back windshields? You could hand out swag depending on what your campus is like- pens, buttons, sun glasses ect. Depending on where your campus is and again your budget you could have scarves make with AXO on them. Twitter and Facebook might also work for you.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
Do you have a house or a building that you use that you could hang a banner from? Can you chalk in different areas on campus? T-shirts for Frat boys if it is in the budget with a cute slogan? Can you write on members car back windshields? You could hand out swag depending on what your campus is like- pens, buttons, sun glasses ect. Depending on where your campus is and again your budget you could have scarves make with AXO on them. Twitter and Facebook might also work for you.
Chalking looks desperate and not to mention, is an easy way for anti-Greeks to criticize Greeks for "messing up the campus." (Plus...it's winter. Any chalking you do will most likely be snowed or rained on pretty immediately.)

Twittttter and F.book can be good tools to highlight your on-campus involvement and sisterhood, as long as it's made clear that following/liking does not = getting a bid.

If there's any sort of move-in or welcome back day at the beginning of the semester, volunteer to assist with it and wear your letters. If that's possible now. I'm not sure when you got the position, but this is really something that you need to start working on and planning for while school is still in session, not over winter break. Just FYI for future reference.

Last edited by 33girl; 12-25-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have a "brother frat" you do a lot of stuff with, or do a lot of the girls have boyfriends on campus? If they'll agree to it, you could get some t-shirts made for the guys with some cute saying on them, like "this guy <3s an Alpha Chi"...we considered doing this with one of our brother frats and I think we just got too lazy to do it, but it would've been cute (we're also on a huge campus, though)
Old 12-25-2012, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiAlpha05 View Post
Do you have a "brother frat" you do a lot of stuff with, or do a lot of the girls have boyfriends on campus? If they'll agree to it, you could get some t-shirts made for the guys with some cute saying on them, like "this guy <3s an Alpha Chi"...we considered doing this with one of our brother frats and I think we just got too lazy to do it, but it would've been cute (we're also on a huge campus, though)
NPC strongly discourages this.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
NPC strongly discourages this.
Not only that, it can deter girls who may not like that fraternity from rushing. The last thing you need during informal rush is to put people off because of a perceived link that doesn't really exist and may change wildly from year to year. On the other side of the coin, women who hang out at that fraternity a lot (whose fitness for membership may vary greatly) may assume they're guaranteed a bid if they want one, because it's your "brother frat."

Last edited by 33girl; 12-26-2012 at 11:00 AM.