GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,853
1 members and 1,852 guests
Cookiez17
View Poll Results: Are your organization's risk management policies too oppressive?
Yes. 124 48.25%
No. 114 44.36%
Not sure. 19 7.39%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2012, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGreek View Post
UGA has the no touching rule as well. You aren't even supposed to shake hands when introducing yourself to a PNM/active. They usually won't fine you for it, or if, say, an active sees a PNM she's related to and gives her a quick hug, but that active will probably have a Gamma Chi tailing her for the rest of the party if that happens.
Now I have the image of an active *married* to a PNM (Not in Georgia, I know...) and causing the Gamma Chi's head to explode when they see them greet each other...

(Note, I have *no* idea if any of the NPC sororities would consider a woman who is married to a sister as being a legacy or not)

(In my co-ed service fraternity, I saw a situation where the faculty advisor's wife was taking classes at the college and decided to pledge the fraternity, *that* was interesting.)
Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
The pacifier necklaces bid day picture was at IU, a couple years ago.
When I moved, I finally threw out my hand painted initiation baby bottles that I got from my big and other family members. They were filled with candy, obviously.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
When I moved, I finally threw out my hand painted initiation baby bottles that I got from my big and other family members. They were filled with candy, obviously.
Maybe IU could start calling recruitment "crib rush" instead of bed rush.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely not. They are in place for a reason and if it's going to keep all of my sisters safe then it's perfectly ok by me.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Risk Management: Money Can Be Put at Risk, Too! $165,000 Reportedly Embezzled

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...P4J/story.html

A longtime volunteer alumna working with an Alpha Phi chapter has been charged with “. . . embezzling $165,000 that the student organization had set aside for a new house. . . .”
“Her membership was revoked after the allegations came to light.”

Name, a few more details are in report; see link above.
Treasurers, RM chairs, house corporations, and so on: please consider independent audits, good-to-excellent financial controls, and the like. The allegations in this case are certainly not the first time we’ve heard of such things. And sadly, it won’t be the last.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

When I first transferred to my school this past fall (I'm a sophomore at a northern Ivy), I had a lot of friends who already went here and who are now in sororities. My closest friend's sorority has very strict risk management rules, and she was yelled at for having dinner with me and going out with me the first week of the semester by her standards chair because I was unaffiliated. We do spring rush, so it's not like this occurred during the recruitment period, and the university I attend to doesn't have a policy against open contact except during recruitment. It was just her chapter. I can understand the reasoning behind many rules, but it seemed pretty harsh to bar her from seeing me. We're just very careful to hang out off campus now - luckily she has a car.

Last edited by 3llkay; 11-18-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3llkay View Post
When I first transferred to my school this past fall (I'm a sophomore at a northern Ivy), I had a lot of friends who already went here and who are now in sororities. My closest friend's sorority has very strict risk management rules, and she was yelled at for having dinner with me and going out with me the first week of the semester by her standards chair because I was unaffiliated. We do spring rush, so it's not like this occurred during the recruitment period, and the university I attend to doesn't have a policy against open contact except during recruitment. It was just her chapter. I can understand the reasoning behind many rules, but it seemed pretty harsh to bar her from seeing me. We're just very careful to hang out off campus now - luckily she has a car.
Are there Ivies that aren't in the north?

Risk management rules wouldn't have anything to do with going to dinner with a friend. I don't know what kinds of rules those would be, but they sound ridiculous. I've not seen something like that ever, unless it is recruitment rules. But those are not risk management rules. Risk management rules are more like- not drinking if you're under the legal age (follow the law.. imagine that?) and get buses if you're going to an event with alcohol that is not in walking distance, etc. Rules to reduce the likelihood that someone would be injured, killed, in trouble with the law, etc.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

True, I guess they're all pretty much northern. And yes, I thought so as well. Her standards was just very paranoid about being reprimanded for "dirty rushing", apparently. It seemed a bit ridiculous to the both of us. I haven't gone through recruitment yet so forgive me if I've mixed up standards & risk management, I assumed they were pretty much the same thing.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

There is some overlap. Standards violation are essentially violating any of the rules. That would include RM violations, but would also include other things like not paying your dues in time. Also, for the sorority women here, maybe it's some overblown silence rule like I've heard you guys talk about?
/swerve