GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,270
0 members and 2,270 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2006, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tri-Delta coming to Howard?

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
It isn't about "right" or "wrong." Just "predictably comical."

I hope the OP's question was answered. In the end, this will be another "let's talk about the same things over and over again" thread.

yes, DSTCHAOS, question has been answered. i agree with above--i see where this conversation is going, and its already been had.

Pikes come to Howard
Pike Update

whoever runs this forum, lock it when you get a minute pretty please?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by f8nacn
Being that I was reading this forum....I asked the question! I will perform a search to see previous discussions...however, if there was something WRONG with my questions, then why not send me a PM telling me that...instead of doing so through the board.
Who are you that I would need to PM you?

I personally feel your questions are comparing apples to oranges. But instead of going through that dialogue over and over again, suffice it to say that this topic has been discussed in about 4 threads and the same questions and comments can be found in each threads. I do not know if all of those threads are still on the main boards or if they have been moved to where the moderators can only access them. Hence, my post. Breathe easy.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tri-Delta coming to Howard?

Quote:
Originally posted by tld221
Pikes come to Howard
Pike Update
Thanks for the links. I thought there was another thread but maybe that disappeared (or it's just my imagination).
Old 05-08-2006, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by f8nacn
Is there something wrong with a predominately white GLO chartering a chapter at an NON-white school such as Howard? Was there something wrong with a predominately black GLO chartering a chapter at a NON-black school such as Columbia University? It shouldn't matter the racial predominance, as long as the organizational structure is solid and members are working together to achieve that common purpose.
Can you please eliminate "predominately white GLO" from your vocabulary?? And before you ask why, non-African Americans have things they just don't call African-Americans (when being respectful, as they should). This is sort of the same thing with me.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Can you please eliminate "predominately white GLO" from your vocabulary?? And before you ask why, non-African Americans have things they just don't call African-Americans (when being respectful, as they should). This is sort of the same thing with me.
Maybe I'm slow today, but could you please explain your post?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AlphaFrog,
I'm not being a smart ass, or specifically speaking to your opinion, but since you are the one who posted this request in this thread, I am going to direct my question to you:

What is the difference between calling a College or University for example, lets say Emory, a PWI (predominantly white institution) and calling a glo who has predominantly white membership, a "predominantly white glo". I ask because PWI is often used on GC but does not seem to merit the same contention as calling a glo a "predominantly white glo"?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ch2tf
is the difference between calling a College or University for example, lets say Emory, a PWI (predominantly white institution) and calling a glo who has predominantly white membership, a "predominantly white glo"
Another discussion that's been had and re-had on GC:

Should more "mostly white sororities and fraternities" be integrated?

Pan-Hellenic
Old 05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

The only ones it seems to make a difference to is a few anti Other Greeks Colonizing on certain Campuses.

Amazing, I guess We are not all Greeks are We according to some.

We are White and Black. I thought We as people were trying to get over this a while back or am I wrong?

If not, show Your Racism You -------.

There is a reason Greeks Look to all schools, it is for a reason and not to Break The Black Block of Bigots.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-08-2006, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Maybe I'm slow today, but could you please explain your post?
Ok, let me break it down for you:

I don't call you the "N" word, because it has negative connotations (especially when coming from a different race) and it's disrespectful. Most NPCers feel "Predominantly white GLO" has a negative connotation (that we are unaccepting of other races) and we would prefer not to be referred to as such.

As for PWI, I don't care for the term, but I also don't identify as much with my University as I do with my GLO.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81
Another discussion that's been had and re-had on GC:

Should more "mostly white sororities and fraternities" be integrated?

Pan-Hellenic
Actually no it hasn't.

I didn't have time to go through all 50+ posts of the first link, and did skim through all of the second link. With that being said, the fact that some (possible most?) members of NPC sororities prefer that their organizations not be called "predominantly white", "historically white" or "wglo's" was discussed. And the only person who came close to answering my question was sigmadiva.

The question was what is the difference between the calling an instituation like a university a pwi, and calling an organization like a glo predominantly white. While most dont raise a stink about the former, we know that the latter is not an appropriate term for many on GC.

A very small handful of people mentioned that they personally felt like calling their glo predominantly white indicated that they were racist. So does calling a college or university a pwi indicate that it is racist? Why is one seeeming okay and the other not?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok, let me break it down for you:

I don't call you the "N" word, because it has negative connotations (especially when coming from a different race) and it's disrespectful. Most NPCers feel "Predominantly white GLO" has a negative connotation (that we are unaccepting of other races) and we would prefer not to be referred to as such.

As for PWI, I don't care for the term, but I also don't identify as much with my University as I do with my GLO.
Negative connotations and historically sound/factual descriptions cannot be compared/paralled. One is a deliberately racist term; the other is a point of clarification, like HBGLOS/PW and HWBGLO/PB...

There was no other analogy you could find to make this point?

enigma_AKA
Old 05-08-2006, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think that calling someone the 'N' word is similar to describing a GLO as being 'predominately White'.

Try another comparison.

Calling a GLO predominately White is simply stating a fact- the majority of it's members are White. I don't think there is a negative connotation involved with it. And the use of 'predominately' shows that there are more than just White members in the organization, but the MAJORITY of the members ARE White.

The 'N' word is racist and insulting, 'predominately White' is not as harsh as the 'N' word.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PerfectVerse06
I don't think that calling someone the 'N' word is similar to describing a GLO as being 'predominately White'.

Try another comparison.

Calling a GLO predominately White is simply stating a fact- the majority of it's members are White. I don't think there is a negative connotation involved with it. And the use of 'predominately' shows that there are more than just White members in the organization, but the MAJORITY of the members ARE White.

The 'N' word is racist and insulting, 'predominately White' is not as harsh as the 'N' word.
The majority of the women in NPCs may be white, but that isn't the case of individual chapters. Chapters in schools that are very diverse might not necessarily be "majority white," even if they don't reflect the racial make-up of the school as a whole.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

More fuel for the fire....

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/.../17-fryer.html
Old 05-08-2006, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
From Gossip-monger Aliciamarie Johnson in The Hilltop
I think it's so ironic the reactionary stnce taken by some people concerning the PIKES coming to Howard, and the sense in which BGLO traditions are embattled. How ironic since, at one time, African American youth, chose the Greek-letter model as the means by which they woulld soldify their vision and provide an avenue of perpetuating organizations that would be profitable for African Americans. They had no qualms about copying the extant models of white Greek-letter groups, to be used for their purposes. (According to Alpha historians, white Greeks even gave some of their founders their rituals in helping them accomplish this task.) And, likewise, these older groups drew upon the legacy of college literary or debating societies and other similar groups, which can be traced to certain practices of the medieval guilds of scholars. There is enough history, in turn, for everybody to "hate" on others for being copy cats or shameless imitators. Everybody has added something to the mix, and it's really funny that anyone would "hate" on others for doing this as long as the traditions are respected and everyone is given there due respect.

And, however uncomfortable it may be to some of us, non of us can rest on out laurels organizationally. For African Americans, the promise of desegregation is a two-way street: we have more opportunities in the larger society, and we also are open to the influences of groups from the larger society, even in our institutions of higher education. This is the price we pay for our vaunted "freedom." Thus, as the history of Greek-letter organizations has shown, people will use this model to accomplish whatever goals they see fit, wherever they see themselves being shut out or marginalized, or whatever. In Greekdom this has gone from issues of class/station in life to religion( Jew-Gentile) to race(exclusion of African Americans) to other identity groups of late and to issues of sexual orientation. This trend in Greek transmogrification continues, as it has since 1776 and the emergence of Phi Beta Kappa, which the founders of the Kappa Alpha Society in 1825 (the first social GLO of continuing influence) based their fraternity on, and were soon followed by Sigma Phi and Delta Phi there at Union College in response to KA Society.

(And on the Tri Delt rumor, I once had two coworkers, one an AKA(made at Howard) and a Delta (made at Hampton), rave about Delta Delta Delta as the "bomb." They agreed that it was the only non NPHC women's group that mattered. Funny!)

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network