GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,143
0 members and 2,143 guests
No Members online

Old 07-06-2004, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I do have the chapter list but have never cross referenced it with AEPhi or SDT (I got it from Baird's so if parts don't make sense it's there fault, not mine):

Alpha - Hunter 1903-1913
Beta - Hunter 1913 - 1965
Gamma - Brooklyn Law - 1913-1941
Delta - NYU - Washington Sq. - 1922
Epsilon - New Jersey Law - 1922-1942
Zeta - Adelphi - 1926
Eta - Denver - 1927-1942
Kappa - Toronto - 1929-1956
Iota - Long Island (LIU?) - 1930
Lambda - Brooklyn College - 1931
Mu - Manitoba - 1935
Nu - Wayne St. - 1935
Omicron - Queens - 1938
Pi - Syracuse - 1942
Rho - Miami - 1946-1956
Sigma - Temple - 1946
Upsilon - Rider - 1947-1955
Phi - Illinois - 1954
Psi - NYC University Hts - 1960-1965
Beta Alpha - Penn St. - 1962
Beta Beta - CCNY
Beta Delta - Cornell
Beta Epsilon - C.W. Post

I know AEPhi has/had chapters at more than half these schools but I don't know how many were active in the early 70's.

Am I right in guessing they joined NPC in 1941 or 1942 since those are the years the Law School chapters closed?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Where do you find all of this information? Baird's? I am trying to google these sororities, and I'm not having any luck.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to radioZTA Send a message via Yahoo to radioZTA
Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
So what happens when there is a merger and there is some chapter overlap? Or, what has happened in the past? Do the chapters merge?
When Beta Sigma Omicron was absorbed by (not merged with) ZTA in 1964, BSO had only 14 collegiate chapters that were still open and none of them were doing well. 7 were on campuses that already had ZTA chapters but the other 7 became ZTA chapters at their schools.

I have heard that the BSO collegians were given the chance to affiliate but don't know if this is so. An updated history of ZTA is being worked on right now so maybe there will be more info there.

BTW...BSO's ritual books and paraphernalia are archived at ZTA's international HQ.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by radioZTA
When Beta Sigma Omicron was absorbed by (not merged with) ZTA in 1964....
I really like how radioZTA used the words "absorbed by" as opposed to using the words "merged with".

I don't know if this is just my way of thinking, but when I think of ABC absorbing XYZ, I think that XYZ no longer used their ritual or symbols or whatever, but ABC's instead.

A merger in my mind, would be that both ABC and XYZ collaborated and the original ritual (or just open symbols or whatever having to do with the GLO) was sort of changed to include some of both ABC's and XYZ's things.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
Old 07-06-2004, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

texas*princess, I agree with you -- but in some cases, some of the other GLO's ritual or traditions were brought into the new group. I'm not sure if this is the case for any of the above, but in the case of some "mergers" the absorbed group's ritual became the basis for a pledge ceremony or some other ceremony.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaRose
Omicron - Queens
- AEPhi: Epsilon Delta chapter, closed in 1971 also.
- SDT: Beta Zeta chapter, closed in 1971 also.
ASA's Gamma Delta chapter, at Queens, also closed in 1971. So I'm guessing they got rid of Greeks completely, or lost accreditation or something.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Lambda - Brooklyn
- AEPhi: Epsilon Beta chapter, closed in 1976.
That's AEPhiSierra's chapter... it has reopened. My NM manual indicates that chapter as active, so it must have reopened before 1995. (But, of course, the point is that that chapter was open when IAPi closed.)
Old 07-06-2004, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm a nerd, and I like to cross reference (not to mention that I'm bored to tears right now, lol)

Chapters of IAPi that were open in 1971 at the time of closure, and relevant AEPhi and SDT chapter info :

Lambda - Brooklyn
- AEPhi: Epsilon Beta chapter, closed in 1976.
- SDT: Lambda chapter

Omicron - Queens
- AEPhi: Epsilon Delta chapter, closed in 1971 also.
- SDT: Beta Zeta chapter, closed in 1971 also.

Beta Beta - CCNY
- No AEPhi or SDT chapters

So AEPhi could have gained 6 new chapters, and SDT 5 new chapters. Looking at this list, though, it seems like there was a bigger problem in the greek system at some of these schools, since several had multiple chapters close in 1970-72, and a few more later in the 70's. It sort of makes sense that there wasn't a merger when you look at it like that.
Corrections on the Brooklyn info: The SDT chapter is Alpha Omicron and their original charter shut down a year or two before our original charter shut down. And in response to AEPhiAlum, I am from Brooklyn College and our chapter re-chartered in 1992 (though I have heard rumors of a brief re-charter in the 1980's)

I am not sure exactly what happened because I haven't dug through CUNY archives yet but basically all Greek life died out at CUNY (which includes Brooklyn, Queens & CCNY) in the early 70's. Still not sure if they were outlawed outright or if the administration just made it hard to exist. According to Baird's Brooklyn College Chapters died out btwn 70-76 with the exception of DPhiE somehow staying til 84, 4 years before the oldest sorority currently on campus was founded (if a DPhiE could get me the story of how their chapter stayed open that long I would really appreciate b/c I am trying to piece together my campus's greek history). The same thing basically happened with Queens between 67-71 with DZ somehow lasting to 1980. I don't know the story with CCNY though.

If sororities weren't banned outright maybe AEPhi or SDT could have benefitted from larger chapters after a merger? But if they were banned outright, losing 3 chapters could have been what really forced IAPi to close.

I wish I could talk to a sister of IAPi and find out the whole story!

Last edited by AEPhiSierra; 07-06-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I think that either Queens College or the CUNY system in general shut down the greeks.

I know my neighbor went to Queens College in the late 1960s and/or early 1970s, and she remembers DPhiE sisters running around in purple and gold jackets. That chapter closed and rechartered in 1990.

I posted before I read AEPhiSierra's post. I'm not sure how Brooklyn College DPhiE stayed open until 1984. I was under the impression that the greeks disappeared from the CUNY system in the early to mid 1970s. I did find some information about a fraternity closing a chapter at City College in 1913.

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 07-06-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
BTW...BSO's ritual books and paraphernalia are archived at ZTA's international HQ.
I have 2 copies of the BSO new member manual that I got off of eBay.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

some of these orgs didn't close that long ago. does anyone know anyone who was in them or maybe parent or grandparents.

plus, would a granddaughter or daughter of a member of a closed sorority be automatically be a legacy or would that only be the case if they were formally initiated into the new organization after the merger?
Old 07-15-2004, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Pi Phi was founded in 1915 in Chicago, and merged with Alpha Sigma Phi in 1938. There were some chapter overlaps, and active members in Phi Pi Phi were automatically granted membership in Alpha Sigma Phi. Members from dormant chapters where no chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi exists may request initiation as a member-at-large (without specific chapter affiliation).

Alpha Kappa Pi was founded in 1926 at Wagner College, when a local fraternity at Newark College of Engineering (now New Jersey Institute of Technology) and another local fraternity at Wagner College combined to form Alpha Kappa Pi. On September 6, 1945, Alpha Kappa Pi consolidated with Alpha Sigma Phi.

Unlike the merger with Phi Pi Phi in 1939, the consolidation with Alpha Kappa Pi brought about many changes to Alpha Sigma Phi. The constitution, bylaws and ritual were changed, and the Alpha Kappa Pi Badge became the Pledge Pin of the Fraternity The Sister Pin of Alpha Kappa Pi was adopted as the official sister pin by replacing the Greek letters Alpha Kappa Pi with Alpha Sigma Phi.. All chapters of Alpha Kappa Pi were added, including a considerable number that were never reactivated after World War II.

In 1965, Alpha Gamma Upsilon Fraternity partially merged with Alpha Sigma Phi. Alpha Gamma Upsilon was founded at Anthony Wayne Institute in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1922, the merger adding five new chapters to 'The Old Gal'. The remaining chapters of Alpha Gamma Upsilon that chose not to merge with Alpha Sigma Phi were later merged with other fraternities.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-16-2004, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

One BSO chapter went APhi

When there is overlap, some chapters chose another group. A collector friend of mine is both a Beta Sigma Omicron AND an Alpha Phi.

ebayfan
Old 07-16-2004, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So AEPhi could have gained 6 new chapters, and SDT 5 new chapters. Looking at this list, though, it seems like there was a bigger problem in the greek system at some of these schools, since several had multiple chapters close in 1970-72, and a few more later in the 70's. It sort of makes sense that there wasn't a merger when you look at it like that.
I believe at this time however, that some schools were booting NPC because of discriminatory clauses in their membership. From what I understand. KD, Tri-Delt, Theta, and Pi Phi. (DG had left in '63) were all given ultimatiums around 1970, either integrate or leave because the greeks were not in line w/college policy on discrimination. (This is what the dean of student's told me so...sorry if i'm wrong) So for some the mergers wouldn't matter, because there was also internal strife of needing to align the greek orgs with the changing climate in the college arena. That's just my guess though as to why so many orgs lost so many chapters and many needed to merge/absorb.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
When Beta Sigma Omicron was absorbed by (not merged with) ZTA in 1964, BSO had only 14 collegiate chapters that were still open and none of them were doing well. 7 were on campuses that already had ZTA chapters but the other 7 became ZTA chapters at their schools.

I have heard that the BSO collegians were given the chance to affiliate but don't know if this is so. An updated history of ZTA is being worked on right now so maybe there will be more info there.

My daughter's 2nd grade teacher told me she had been a BSO at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (then, Indiana State Teachers' College) but it had been absorbed by another sorority her senior year and she didn't remember which sorority it was. I knew I could find that answer here on GC!