GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,656
2 members and 1,654 guests
Sarak24034

Old 06-16-2000, 11:12 AM
elboogie

Thumbs up new book: sorority sisters

Has anyone read the book Sorority Sisters by Tajuana Butler. Its a depiction of five girls that never met before and the triumphs and hardships they faced while being on-line. I certainly recommend it. It it very real and definetely based around certain BGLO's. If you read it, let me know what you think? ....... sorry soooo long
Old 06-16-2000, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Tajuana Butler, author of "Sorority Sisters" is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.
Old 06-16-2000, 02:22 PM
elboogie

Thanks 12dn94dst. I was planning on reading that book next because a lot of people said it was really good, but confusing. Well, I'm a journalism major, so maybe I can dissect the reading (hopefully)
Old 06-17-2000, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I read that book. It was good. It focused more on the girls as individuals more than it did what happened to them while they were on-line. I wasn't sure if the author (I believe she's a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.) wanted to disguize which organizations the characters were in. She doesn't refer to them by name, only by color.

A book that has some nice descriptions regarding "old school" pledging is Sister Secrets by Breggie James. I'm going to warn you, it can get confusing. There are a lot of characters and flashbacks, but you'll appreciate it when if you read the second book Beyond Our Mother's Footsteps.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited June 16, 2000).]
Old 06-17-2000, 03:10 AM
me1952

Lightbulb

I read that book and was actually wondering about the whole thing. I am not a member of a BGLO but I thought that I would read it too. It sounded to me with all the talk about pink that they were referring to AKA... I just thought that some of the book seemed like described things that could be refered to as hazing so why would the author so close make the sorority in the book appear to be AKA?
just curious.. please respond without biting my head off... thanks
Old 06-17-2000, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

"I just thought that some of the book seemed like described things that could be refered to as hazing so why would the author so close make the sorority in the book appear to be AKA?"

Keep in mind the the book is a work of fiction. She's not talking about a particular Sorority at a particular school. It says, as it does in the beginning of all works of fiction, "This is a work of fiction. I t is not meant to depict, portray, or represent and particular organization or group of people. Names, characters...are used ficitciouslym and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental."

What I should have said in my post was I wonder if she wanted to disguise which organizations the characters were modeled after. But obvousily she did by frferring to them by one color.

This brings me to another question. (please don't yell at me) Why does hazing have to be worked into things that NPHC orgs do?

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 06-18-2000, 02:53 AM
me1952

Wink

I know that it is fiction but when you are a member of a sorority whose colors are also the color of the sorority described it made me wonder if in a way it was sort of taking examples from her own experiences or those of her friends...

Why does hazing have to be worked into things that NPHC orgs do?

I am not going to yell at anyone I was not infering anything about NPCH orgs and hazing... I just thought some of the incidents described in the book could be construed as hazing, and would feel that way regardless of the org ( I was pledge mom for a year so I got that hazing thing learned, NOT doing it but knowing what can and cannot be construed as hazing)....
Quote:
Originally posted by 12dn94dst:
Keep in mind the the book is a work of fiction. She's not talking about a particular Sorority at a particular school. It says, as it does in the beginning of all works of fiction, "This is a work of fiction. I t is not meant to depict, portray, or represent and particular organization or group of people. Names, characters...are used ficitciouslym and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental."

What I should have said in my post was I wonder if she wanted to disguise which organizations the characters were modeled after. But obvousily she did by frferring to them by one color.
Old 06-18-2000, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, I see what you're saying. The things that happened in the book may or may not be seen as hazing. It depends on the rules that the fictional sorority has in place.
Old 06-19-2000, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

i enjoyed the book, i think she did a good job and i am looking forward to her next book.
Old 06-21-2000, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

well, i read the book while my line sisters and i were getting to know each other and we all read and it was great to me. I have put it as a must read for and soror of any org. I can't wait for her next