GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,386
2 members and 2,384 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basket Case View Post
Your responses make me think that maybe it's between her and her NPHC organization. She did say that the chapter she went through contacted NPHC HQ beforehand and that HQ said there was nothing in writing to prevent her pursuing membership. I can't help but wonder...would it have been better had she just not mentioned it during her interview? She was not boasting dual membership, as someone on here put it. She was basically letting the panel know about her greek experience. She clearly told me that she does not claim NPC sorority because that was in her past. She is aware how it looks, which is why she does not mention NPC sorority ever - only NPHC sorority membership. I don't believe she broke an actual written rule... I think she knew what she did...but the NPHC sorority took her in knowing.
I call bullshit. If it is really this straightforward, what is your problem? Why did you come to GC with this?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2012, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

As her constituent, she absolutely has standing to question her life and career.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to know which NPHC organization it is.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I call bullshit. If it is really this straightforward, what is your problem? Why did you come to GC with this?
Because she's in the midst of a moral dilemma that affects people within a segment of the greek system (NPHC) that she's not personally familiar with and knows there are people here who can assist her. She already stated she doesn't feel like she talk to people in IRL.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
As her constituent, she absolutely has standing to question her life and career.
I agree.

People's personal lives can be challenged for a number of reasons. This is especially the case if your personal life is so attached to your career which is the case for chapter advisors, Greek advisors, Greek Life reps, etc.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Because she's in the midst of a moral dilemma that affects people within a segment of the greek system (NPHC) that she's not personally familiar with and knows there are people here who can assist her. She already stated she doesn't feel like she talk to people in IRL.
This is obvious.

If the OP believes what that person stated about the willingness of the NPHC sorority, there is nothing else to say. If the OP doesn't believe and calls bullshit (which is unclear based on the wording of that post), I recommend contacting the NPHC sorority.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

These posts gave me lots to consider.

Last edited by Basket Case; 08-17-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basket Case View Post
Thanks to all for understanding why it's not a straight forward answer and my reasons for bringing this to GC. THANKS GC.
Well....

Good luck to you.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
It seems interesting to me that the OP said that this woman's experience and education blew everyone else out of the water? This leads me to believe she was likely in a similar position in previous institutions. (Though I could be completely wrong?). OP, was this a potential issue at her previous place of employment? Were both councils represented there? Both chapters to which she is a "member"? I find it hard to believe that if it were a big deal with either chapter or council, that it wouldn't have already come out in to the open if she is so forthcoming about her membership in both groups. (It also makes me question her ability to advise NCP groups since it seems that she feels membership in such organizations is only 4 years and not as "serious" (I think that's the wrong word, but not coming up with anything better) as NPHC membership.

I guess that doesn't really answer anything. This is one of those rough situations. You don't want to be the whistle blower, yet I can see NPC and NPHC groups alike not being thrilled with the OP for knowing of the dual membership and not saying anything if it comes out in the future.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I still say LEAVE IT ALONE

The NPC UA states:

“A woman who is or who has ever been an initiated member of an existing NPC fraternity shall not be eligible for membership in another NPC fraternity.”

A member group might have a policy that is more strict, but she didn't break an NPC Unanimous Agreement by joining an NPHC group.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Banned

So here's a theoretical. What if she actually didn't tell the truth in the interview and she was never a member of an NPC organization? What if she came up with that answer on the fly to make her look like she could relate to two different sides of Greek life and didn't realize it wasn't something that should be done until the OP brought it up? Now her tale of getting the NPHC organization to approve her membership is covering her tracks that she lied during the interview?

I would be very tempted to find a trusted member of each sorority that was at her undergrad campus to confirm that she was or wasn't listed in their member database before approaching any organization anonymously.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
So here's a theoretical. What if she actually didn't tell the truth in the interview and she was never a member of an NPC organization? What if she came up with that answer on the fly to make her look like she could relate to two different sides of Greek life and didn't realize it wasn't something that should be done until the OP brought it up? Now her tale of getting the NPHC organization to approve her membership is covering her tracks that she lied during the interview?
Would this be better, or worse?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
Would this be better, or worse?
I'm not sure. It's an entirely different problem.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting. So although many of us find it distasteful, it isn't actually breaking a rule as stated. Probably back in the day NPC considered it a non-issue and hasn't been contested with them to date. If this is your sorority (I didn't read from the original that it is but I might have missed something), you might ask them for their input, but otherwise, it sounds like it is merely distasteful and not actually against the rules. I would try to change your mindset to one that values her variety of experience instead of treating it like an unfaithful spouse. It sounds like you otherwise like her so I'd try to get over it.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
SI would be very tempted to find a trusted member of each sorority that was at her undergrad campus to confirm that she was or wasn't listed in their member database before approaching any organization anonymously.
There is absolutely no way this could backfire.

--for the sarcasm-challenged, I mean this plan would almost definitely backfire.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma