GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,368
0 members and 2,368 guests
No Members online

Old 12-14-2005, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sugrsingr
KKG Alumnae??

I'm a December graduate and just am entering into alum status. I was looking around on here for a place to discuss how to get more involved, and really didn't find anything. There is an Alumni Involvement section, but it is geared to women who are looking to join fraternity life post-undergraduate.

There hasn't been a new topic in awhile, so for the alumnae:
What has been your greatest experience since becoming an alumna? Have you ever used Kappa and its networking capabilities to find jobs or to meet new people in your area?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-14-2005, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I got involved as an adviser [for a different chapter] right away after I graduated. It has not always been easy, but I have really enjoyed interacting with the girls and watching them grow and better their chapter over the past four years.

I also became involved with our local alumnae association and have loved getting to know some of our older alums. The stories they tell!! It's wonderful to see these 50-, 65- and 75-year Kappas still involved.

Personally, I haven't used Kappa to it's full capabilities for networking, though a former Alum president once had four Kappas working in her office. She would screen resumes and almost always find the Kappas--whether it was listed on there or not! Joining the Alum group definitely helped me meet new women after moving to a new area, though.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!

Being an alumnae is about so much more than advising - common mis-perception! Alumnae associations have interest groups and other events to participate in, it is sort of like all the fun social parts of being in kappa with none of the icky meetings. (Although, if you miss icky meetings, you can volunteer for a commitee or board position)

I agree - the first screen on the Alumnae section is about news and networking stuff - not how to join a group! What you need is the "Find an Association" part:

http://www.kappakappagamma.org/Templ...mnaeSearch.cfm (link is gonna require you to be logged in)

Click the state then choose the association that describes the area you are in (I think you can search by zip code too) and email the president. You can also fill out an "owl on a limb" form which will be automatically sent to the association president.

Loyally,
Paula
Old 12-25-2005, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumnae Ass'n

I have been a member of multiple alumnae associations of KKG since graduation due to corporate moves. I never found a job through joining but did find cameraderie and social connections. The dues are minimal anad I would definitely reccomend it!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sugrsingr
Thats what I was thinking. I am planning to move to Chicago and I was told of the Loop group since Chicago has the younger Kappas in the Loop group and the older ones in the various other Chicago alumnae groups?? Something like that.. I am currently in my hometown and it has an alumnae group, but the closest KKG chapter is at UIUC which is an hour drive away. Thanks for all of the information! We should keep each other updated on each others alumnae groups and chapters!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Duel membership

The best way to figure out the "young" group is by the activities - the one with the Night Owls group is probably the one with the younger demographic, the Daytime Bridge probably has older ladies.

And if you live closer to one association but still want to join in on another association's events, you can also do a duel membership. What that means is you pay full dues to one group (usually $35 - $40), and partial dues ($15-20) to the other group. In Northern Virginia we have a number of women who have duel memberships to the DC group because they live in No. VA but work in DC.

Cheers,
Paula