GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,533
1 members and 2,532 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 06-10-2005, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice for Fraternity Rush?

Hey all - My little bro is going through fraternity rush at Middle Tennessee State University in the fall. Any suggestions, tips, advice, etc.?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-11-2005, 01:06 PM

I would say - tell him to look at as many fraternities as he can and not to join someplace just because his friends or roommate are joining there. Also even if one chapter is more "prestigious" than another and shows interest in him, if he likes another better and feels he fits in better there, go with the latter. It's no good to be in the "best fraternity on campus" if you don't like your brothers or vice versa.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl, DITTO!

The main thing is fitting with the members where He would like to end up. They will be His Brothers for a long time.

Greek Organizations will fluctuate from year to year. Up now, but could be down next year.

Also, I suggest that He check out through National Web Sites to get a picture of what each represents.

Chapters, where and how many.

In a growth pattern or just circling.

Chaity events.

Check other chapters web sites to see what they are doing Fraternaly.

Dang, it is so much easier to do now than in the Good Old days of rushing.

Back when we did formal Rush, Guys went to 3 Houses a night. Six Greek Organizations in two nights was just a cattle call!

Good luck to Him and Hope He finds a Fraternity that works for Him and Them.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-11-2005, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking at all the house

I feel one of the biggest downfalls of guys rush is the fact that we don't get to see all the house. I know my rush term, we had bus tours and it allowed us to check out all the house and i felt it was a better choice for me, but i know many guys mainly on our campus get guys before abd provent them to check out other house. In the long run, many of those people drop. I had friends that rushed other house and dropped because they felt people werent was cool as they thought they were. The only thing i can say is to tell your brother to checkout all the house and tell him to think about it. Eveyone is meant to be in a fraternity, it is just about being in the right one for you. TKE for me was the best choice i could ever made, and i almost rushed another house because of my roommate. So be your own man and don't be afraid doing it by yourself, because you will end up meeting some cool people.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Back when we did formal Rush, Guys went to 3 Houses a night. Six Greek Organizations in two nights was just a cattle call!
* Chuckle, chuckle * Good thing you never had to go through NPC Recruitment on a large campus.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know, because I'm neither male nor Greek, but tell him good luck from me, okay?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
33girl, DITTO!

The main thing is fitting with the members where He would like to end up. They will be His Brothers for a long time.

Greek Organizations will fluctuate from year to year. Up now, but could be down next year.

Also, I suggest that He check out through National Web Sites to get a picture of what each represents.

Chapters, where and how many.

In a growth pattern or just circling.

Chaity events.

Check other chapters web sites to see what they are doing Fraternaly.

Dang, it is so much easier to do now than in the Good Old days of rushing.

Good luck to Him and Hope He finds a Fraternity that works for Him and Them.
Ditto on what Tom said. just have him do his research on the different Fraternities and see which one is best for him. Good Luck to your Little Brother.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Tell him to check out as many of the fraternities as possible during rush and really get to talk to the guys. He should accept a bid from the chapter where he feels the most at ease! Basically-- shop around and go with what feels right!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

The Interfraternity Council

MTSU IFC Fraternities:

Alpha Gamma Rho
Alpha Tau Omega
Beta Theta Pi
Kappa Alpha Order
Kappa Sigma
Pi Kappa Alpha
Pi Kappa Phi
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Sigma Chi
Sigma Nu
Sigma Phi Epsilon
Tau Kappa Epsilon

Quote:
RECRUITMENT INFORMATION

What is Recruitment?

"Recruitment" is a week when prospective members visit the fraternities and learn about the different activities and programs. Each fraternity has something unique to offer, just as you have something equally unique to offer in return!

You will have the opportunity to visit each fraternity during the week. While you are considering the fraternity, the members of the fraternity are also considering you, thereby creating a mutual selection process.

Requirements

In order to participate in Fraternity Recruitment, you:

Must be a registered student of MTSU
Must have a GPA of 2.3 in high school or college (college GPA if completed 12 or more hours)
Cannot be a member of a North-American Interfraternity Conference fraternity

Membership Responsibilities

You will want to contribute your talents to your fraternity and do your part in everything from setting policies to helping with homecoming. It is every member's responsibility to help the chapter thrive on campus and to bring positive recognition to the (inter)national organization.

In addition, each member has the responsibility to uphold his financial commitment to the fraternity. As an investment in lifelong membership, the affiliation fees are reasonable and about the same for all IFC fraternities.

Leadership

The experience gained from Greek membership and involvement proves extremely rewarding while in school as well as after graduation. One of the most beneficial parts of being a member of the Greek community is the opportunity to gain leadership skills. Within each chapter, there are student government officers, academic scholars, athletes, musicians, artists, student ambassadors, and student orientation leaders. Valuable communication, social, and interpersonal skills can be gained through these experiences.

Recruitment

To register for fraternity recruitment, submit the application by August 21. Applications are available in KUC Room 326. Please contact the Office of Greek Life at 615.898.5996 or greeks@mtsu.edu for more info.

REGISTRATION
CLICK HERE for Fraternity Recruitment
September 18-24, 2005
Old 06-15-2005, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Tell him to go Pi Kapp…but seriously I would tell him to meet with the Greek advisor. I’m not sure how things work at that particular campus but when it comes to fraternities most Greek advisors will give the most honest / nonbiased answer. I know when I went through rush only one fraternity used their philanthropy as a selling point everyone else was just party this, girls that. Ask him what he’s looking for. Sometimes writing down what you want to get out of joining a fraternity makes selecting which one to go with a lot easier.