GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 781
1 members and 780 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Sophomore Informal vs. Junior Formal Rush

To start this off... hi everyone, I've been lurking this site for awhile now trying to find answers to all my questions thread by thread. A lot of them have been answered and I also have a better (if not a really good) understanding of how competitive rush is at my school. Basically, I've tried not to make this another redundant "how do I get through rush as a sophomore/junior with a mediocre GPA at a competitive SEC school?" post. However, I guess I could use some specific input on which route to take here.

A little bit of a back story: I went through formal rush as a freshman (last year) and I basically did it all wrong. I missed orientation because of the hassle of moving in and because I thought it was the next night... so I didn't dress properly, had no idea what I was walking into the next morning, etc. Obviously I'm not one of those girls that was completely set on Greek life before starting college. Anyway, while I had fantastic conversations with most of the girls and actually really enjoyed the rush experience, I was released from rush after the 2nd round (and at that time the feeling was mutual, I was too overwhelmed and was beginning to be convinced that Greek life wasn't for me).

However, here I am regretting the fact that I didn't do it right the first time and I've been longing for Greek life since the end of my Freshman year. I would have rushed this past year, as a sophomore, in a heart beat... except for the fact that I struggled with grades a lot during Freshman year and my GPA was and is well below the point that any sorority would tolerate. I tried to bring it up over summer semester by overloading on work (bad, bad idea) and I ended up only bringing it up a little bit... and making it increasingly difficult to raise it significantly in one semester by adding more completed course hours into the equation.

This year I am a lot more focused in school (and I switched majors at the end of last year) so I'm looking at really good grades (hopefully straight A's) for the first time in my college career. However, at the end of this fall semester, the best I would have is a 2.7. I'm struggling between the options of going through spring recruitment with this GPA or waiting for fall recruitment in my junior year where I could have a 3.2 or so. (While this grade predicting thing sounds naive, based on credit hours and grades received this is where I could get myself in that amount of time if I do everything right.) I know my chances are really, really bad in both cases... I'm just wondering if I have a slightly higher chance in one situation than in another? I figure that if I call my Greek Office and they tell me there's no junior quota in place for next year, then my only chance would be informal rush next spring. I will most likely be an undergraduate student for 5 years instead of 4, though I read in another thread that mentioning that as a junior rushee doesn't matter.

And just for the sake of saying it before someone else does: grades are obviously extremely important to me and I am trying my hardest to set my priorities straight. I feel like being a sorority would help this. Most of the girls do great in school and have really high GPA's... and I feel like they motivate each other to do well. Unfortunately, (well, probably fortunately for the sake of the sorority) one has to do well in the first place to even be considered.

Thank you in advance for any input!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Your Greek life office should be able to provide you with what the GPA requirements are for the sororities on campus. These are not flexible, so if you're below it, then there's no point. But if you're even a little above it, by all means, give it a shot! And they don't all have the same requirements, so you might be eligible for one but not another.

I would not wait for your junior year except as a last resort. Even on campuses that take them, it's still not a lot of girls. You seem to be aware of that already, which is good news.

I feel you about blowing it your freshman year. I had TERRIBLE grades my freshman year and except that it was a different era, I would have not had a snowball's chance in hell getting into a sorority. So I'm very happy it WAS a different era.

In the meantime, work on your conversation skills, make sure you're involved on campus, and start working on recommendations if they are required on your campus. And of course grades grades grades.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I understand your reluctance to disclose where you are, but it's really hard to advise you without knowing.

At most schools with which I personally am familiar (read: the midwest), there is at least one chapter that struggles to make quota/total. Basically, for them, the choice during informal rush is not "Do we take PromDoe or Suzie PNM?", the choice is "Do we take PromDoe or nobody?" That means that, even if your GPA isn't great, they may be willing to take a chance on you, perhaps with the condition that you need to show progress to initiate.

Are you willing to be in *that* chapter? Well, if they will take a chance on you, you should take a chance on them. The chapter may be a little smaller, or not get invited to as many frat parties or have some stupid nickname, but I can assure you that there will be girls you love and sisterhood and formals and philanthropy and everything else the more popular chapters have (even the bad stuff, too!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromDoe View Post
I will most likely be an undergraduate student for 5 years instead of 4, though I read in another thread that mentioning that as a junior rushee doesn't matter.
As for this, I would ABSOLUTELY let them know. If you have three more years on campus, and you plan to live in the chapter house, that definitely makes a difference in how desirable you are. Maybe some chapters won't care, but it certainly couldn't hurt your case.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Your Greek life office should be able to provide you with what the GPA requirements are for the sororities on campus. These are not flexible, so if you're below it, then there's no point. But if you're even a little above it, by all means, give it a shot!
I disagree with all of this. I have seen chapters take women below their stated requirements. If you have a house to fill, you make exceptions. On the other hand, if you are a super-popular chapter, your actual requirement is probably much higher than what you officially tell the GL office.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

You definitely want to focus on grades, and let's work with what you have, and not a crystal ball. Like DubaiSis said, go to the Greek Life Office and make a serious inquiry into grades and where you stand. If chapters with lower requirements are participating in open bidding, and you can handle any rejectment, go for it. If you're at a competitive school, you need to be aware that your grades, your year ins chool, and other factors can and will work against you. My school is not really competitive, and your GPA would be an issue here.

Focus on school this fall, and into the spring, heck even in the summer (because that's why we go to college, no?) and see where it lands you. Even if you decide to not attempt to join a sorority, you will have better grades, and that is always a good thing. Be honest with yourself about your stats, your school, and what you can handle. Oh an if you can balance it, join a club or volunteer (perhaps for class credit?) because studying all the time makes one boring, and you will have something for a resume and recs. Don't forget to get recs.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I disagree with all of this. I have seen chapters take women below their stated requirements. If you have a house to fill, you make exceptions. On the other hand, if you are a super-popular chapter, your actual requirement is probably much higher than what you officially tell the GL office.
If a chapter is having grade issues (low membership, the 10 girls below a 2.0 wouldn't be an issue if there were 100 women, but there are only 50) they may not be able to get around that rule. I only mention it as I've seen it happen where a woman didn't receive a bid until her grades were higher and the chapter was healthier. I've seen it happen with fraternities too, since they'd rather have better grades and a member who won't be out of school the following semester.

But yes, you're right, sometimes exceptions happen.

ETA: One exception I personally know of was for a woman who had poor grades due to family/health issues and was uanble to get them expunged from her record without losing all college process and credits earned (Fresh Start program). That is a rare case though.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
You definitely want to focus on grades, and let's work with what you have, and not a crystal ball. Like DubaiSis said, go to the Greek Life Office and make a serious inquiry into grades and where you stand. If chapters with lower requirements are participating in open bidding, and you can handle any rejectment, go for it. If you're at a competitive school, you need to be aware that your grades, your year in school, and other factors can and will work against you. My school is not really competitive, and your GPA would be an issue here.

Focus on school this fall, and into the spring, heck even in the summer (because that's why we go to college, no?) and see where it lands you. Even if you decide to not attempt to join a sorority, you will have better grades, and that is always a good thing. Be honest with yourself about your stats, your school, and what you can handle. Oh an if you can balance it, join a club or volunteer (perhaps for class credit?) because studying all the time makes one boring, and you will have something for a resume and recs. Don't forget to get recs.
THIS.

Another thought: have you made friends, or are you friendly with, any actives in any chapters? Not the superficial kind of "friend" that can be easily seen through (as in, you're only talking with someone because they are in a chapter). Rather, the kind that is in a study group for a class, or belongs to the same club and participates actively alongside others. THAT kind of friend.

I don't know you, I don't know your school, and I'm not blowing rainbows or whatever (I'm not that kind of person). I am an advisor at a campus with a fairly competitive recruitment (NOT the SEC, NOT Texas! I know, I know). I'm recommending that you keep focusing on your studies and grades, and take your best shot. You already know the facts and realities of the world you live in. Do what you can to maximize your chances.

It only takes one, in every sense of the word. Your membership is for a lifetime and you will find friends in all GLO chapters, if you're so inclined. I bang that drum loudly every chance I get here, because I look at my Panhellenic sisters as being my sisters in this journey called life, and my fraternity membership is invaluable to me.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-04-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
At most schools with which I personally am familiar (read: the midwest), there is at least one chapter that struggles to make quota/total. Basically, for them, the choice during informal rush is not "Do we take PromDoe or Suzie PNM?", the choice is "Do we take PromDoe or nobody?" That means that, even if your GPA isn't great, they may be willing to take a chance on you, perhaps with the condition that you need to show progress to initiate.
If she was completely released after the second round, by everyone, there may not BE a chapter like that on her campus. (Good for them, of course, but sucky for our OP.)

Won't they be making the junior quota for fall rush decision well before spring rush starts? It seems kind of half-assed that they would wait for too long.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, they still could have one or more struggling chapters. She said she wasn't prepared for recruitment and made a lot of mistakes. Even the struggling chapters will cut a girl if they think she's being rude or mean or whatever. And I know if I, for instance, am not prepared I can look seriously cranky, so a person could misinterpret a face I'm making as unhappy or worse.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand that I might have to take a chance on "that" or "those" chapters that would in turn be taking a chance on me. In the end, it really should be that way: the girls who did their research in high school and had their hearts set on rush from the get go are the ones who deserve the best chances. But even the chapters that are considered "top-tier" or even "middle-tier" or whatever have nicknames depending on who one speaks to. I'm involved in a traveling sports team and recently another competitive traveling team on campus... as well as a service fraternity. I believe that my conversation skills are great (not to boast) and I even thought they were great while I rushed freshman year. I thought I had fantastic conversations with almost every girl I spoke to (except the one or two that I did just not click with at all). I certainly wasn't rude or mean. I firmly believe it was all in the wardrobe: it took me too long to catch on to what I should have been dressed like. I walked into recruitment my first day in jeans (because, like I said, I'd missed orientation and had no idea what the process actually entailed or what it required of me) and while I had a fantastic sense of humor about it with the girls I spoke to while wearing them... it just wasn't happening. Had I actually received a bid to a house, it would have been a hilarious rush story to tell. Anyway, my biggest deterrent is my grades and now my quickly rising upperclassman status.

The thing I'm concerned about with informal rush is the time I get to talk to each girl. There is another thread on here that kind of describes how the informal rush has taken place at my school in recent years and it seems like I don't get a lot of time to have a conversation with each girl... which leaves me less time to throw in the stuff about my "sophomore-ish" junior status and how I struggled with grades and all that because, clearly, I don't want to have a conversation based on all that alone.

I do have some friends in chapters that I think would pull for me (most of these girls made it into so-called "middle-tier" chapters their sophomore year without recs) which still makes me wonder about my initial question... if my GPA is too low that would count for nothing, but would that make a house more open minded about taking a junior?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

If anything, I think you'd get more time to talk to women during informal.

But the bottom line, as I read all this, is what do you have to lose by trying informal this spring? See if it works out. If it doesn't, rush in the fall. No biggie.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess that can't hurt now, can it?

Question about recs: if I have recs sent for spring rush and it doesn't work out, will I need to get brand new ones for fall, or will sororities keep them on file?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 AM

I would get new ones. I doubt a chapter keeps recs, just because depending on where you go to school, that is a LOT of paperwork to keep hanging around (and potentially lose).

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I would get new ones. I doubt a chapter keeps recs, just because depending on where you go to school, that is a LOT of paperwork to keep hanging around (and potentially lose).
yes!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

Where do people get the idea that just because a chapter may have numbers issues that they will take anyone, no matter how they don't measure up to standards?