GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Chi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,456
2 members and 2,454 guests
davidsholzeo679, JayhawkAOII

Old 10-05-2006, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Not sure what to do (Sigma Chi Ritual)

Hmmm

I happen to have come into possesion of the Sigma Chi (s)Ritual and therefore it's whereabouts on the internet. I have no doubts that it is genuine, it is 136 pages or so in length and very expansive and in depth. I have not read it, merely sifted through to check if genuine.

The thing is, I wasn't even really looking for it - I'm a bit of a new found conspiracy theorist and happened to start reading about the Sigma Chi and it's history, only recently.

Anyway, I digress. I don't know what to do - the ritual was hard to find, but if you know how to work the internet, it can be easy enough to come by.

What do I do, if anything?

p.s. I am not a member of any 'club', merely a hobby researcher
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-05-2006, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

What to do? Since you do not know for sure if what you have is genuine, and since you have no need for it, then my suggestion would be to mail it to either the nearest Sigma Chi chapter or to International Headquarters.

Sigma Chi International Headquarters
P.O. Box 469, 1714 Hinman Avenue
Evanston, Illinois 60201.0469

By the way, if you happen to uncover "the conspiracy", please keep it to yourself.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
What to do? Since you do not know for sure if what you have is genuine, and since you have no need for it, then my suggestion would be to mail it to either the nearest Sigma Chi chapter or to International Headquarters.

Sigma Chi International Headquarters
P.O. Box 469, 1714 Hinman Avenue
Evanston, Illinois 60201.0469

By the way, if you happen to uncover "the conspiracy", please keep it to yourself.
Why would I mail a computer document to them If I have no need, I just drag it to the trash!

Also, there is no conspiracy with regards to frats I was on the ATS conspiracy forum and there was a thread about Sigma there - not a conspiracy one per se, more a discussion.

Sorry if it looked like I was saying there was a conspiracy
Old 10-05-2006, 05:54 PM

If you found it online you should email Sigma Chi nationals with you what you found so that they may take proper steps to remove it.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto that.

I believe I found the exact same thing once before, alerted Sigma Chi's nationals and they responded. It was removed shortly thereafter, but geocities sites are easy to come by.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taff View Post
Why would I mail a computer document to them If I have no need, I just drag it to the trash!
Frankly, it is up to you. If you feel a need to keep it, then keep it. But even if what you have is Ritual, unless you are a Sig, it won't have any real meaning to you.

Quote:
Also, there is no conspiracy with regards to frats I was on the ATS conspiracy forum and there was a thread about Sigma there - not a conspiracy one per se, more a discussion.
I've been to that site as well. Discussion happens.

Quote:
Sorry if it looked like I was saying there was a conspiracy
No need to apologize. I was just messing with you. Besides, there is no conspiracy. Really. I mean it.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Alas, there is currently a website run by some anti-Sigma Chi guy that is devoted to going through your ritual in detail and in length. I do not know if it's validity but was surprised to see that someone would be so blatant as to do this. I'm sure you've all probably seen the website. I won't post that site on here but jeez. It's pretty pathetic regardless of it's true or not.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Dont think that website is legit. I have seen an anti sigma chi site and it is totally bogus.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Chi ritual

As a Sig that graduated from college almost a decade ago, I still think back, from time to time, on what I went through during pledging and initiation. But, no matter how much time passes, I remember vividly clear that I took a very serious oath (on two separate occasions on the day I was initiated into Sigma Chi), that without having done so, of my own free will, I would never have been allowed to set eyes on anything related to the ritual. This is probably the clearest memory of that day because those conducting the initiation make certain that you are aware of what you are doing and the responsibility you are undertaking. There are people out there that claim to know the ritual, but I can assure whoever reads this, that Sigma Chis do not take that oath lightly. To trade away ones soul, and break a covenant with your maker, by printing the ritual on the internet, does not seem like something someone would do just because they are pissed off at the fraternity. Therefore, I am willing to bet, without having seen the site and so-called "ritual", that it is bogus.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Heres whats poppin

Turns out that most fraternities nationals post false rituals on the internet and sometimes portray "angry members" or "ex girlfriends." there are about 2,000 false sigma chi rituals out there. I was pretty shocked to hear it too but it is that important. Also just a cool side fact; time magizine had an article in 2002 that listed the top ten best kept secrets that we know of in america. #1 nuclear launch codes, #2 the recipie to CocaCola. And #3 The Sigma Chi Ritual. Not because its as hard to obtain as the previous two but because 1. with the over 220,000 living Sigma Chi brothers none-reported have ever came out and just said "this is the Sigma chi ritual" at least no one would even know if it were true if someone did come out and say it. 2. It is the only fraternal ritual not held in the library of congress, it was removed by honorary sig Theodore Roosevelt while he was still in office as president. None of this is ment to belittle anyones fraternity or theyre ritual. I just know how important Ritual is to me and how it has changed my life, and i would hope that any other fraternity would feel the same about they're ritual.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstateSigmachi View Post
Turns out that most fraternities nationals post false rituals on the internet and sometimes portray "angry members" or "ex girlfriends." there are about 2,000 false sigma chi rituals out there. I was pretty shocked to hear it too but it is that important.
I didn't know which to be more astonished at -- that you would dig up this old thread, the idea that someone had the time and energy to sneak 2000 false rituals of any fraternity into the public domain, or the suggestion that "most" fraternities do the same.

But then I got to this part:

Quote:
Also just a cool side fact; Time magizine had an article in 2002 that listed the top ten best kept secrets that we know of in america. #1 nuclear launch codes, #2 the recipie to CocaCola. And #3 The Sigma Chi Ritual . . . It is the only fraternal ritual not held in the library of congress, it was removed by honorary sig Theodore Roosevelt while he was still in office as president.
Once I got past trying to figure out "the best-kept secrets we know of," I did a double-take. I thought that it was Teke that had its ritual taken out of the Library of Congress by Reagan. Or Lambda Chi by Truman. Or Kappa Alpha Order by J. Edgar Hoover. Or . . . well, I hope you get the idea.

It's an urban legend. That's what's poppin', Sherlock.

And I challenge you to find that Time article from 2002.

Last edited by MysticCat; 03-28-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-07-2007, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

deleted...mysticcat basically covered what i had posted
Old 05-31-2008, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

yay internet rumors!

I've uncovered a plethera of falsities about many various fraternities including my own. I recently got a kick out of hearing that my ritual letters Phi Phi Kappa Alpha mean "Protect Friend King Aurthor".... oh really? I find that there is no harm (other than the person's ignorance) in anyone believing these fun rumors. So i simply smile and shrug. One girl asked me why the 'K' in Pi Kappa Alpha was always bigger than the other letters. I said "Why do ya think?"

As far as the ritual books in the Library of Congress, several are non-existing one being Sigma Chi, and another Being Pi Kappa Alpha. They still have, in the LOC registry, other fraternities' ritual books according to the 1880 Anti-secret society movement (which later was appealed by 1940s court ruling Saimons vs. State of California which negated the requirement of all secret societies to establish written documentation of all ritual) After this point, many government officials with ties to their respective fraternity 'legally stole' their own ritual books under the assumption that it was their own property. Much ritual material still exists in the LOC including documents by Alpha Tau Omega, Kappa Sigma, Delta Kappa Epsilon, Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, and many others.

All secret societies including fraternities/sororities are still required by law to post anual membership logs which are retained in the LOC and may not be retrieved.

Last edited by HKPike; 05-31-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPike View Post
As far as the ritual books in the Library of Congress, several are non-existing one being Sigma Chi, and another Being Pi Kappa Alpha. They still have, in the LOC registry, other fraternities' ritual books according to the 1880 Anti-secret society movement (which later was appealed by 1940s court ruling Saimons vs. State of California which negated the requirement of all secret societies to establish written documentation of all ritual) After this point, many government officials with ties to their respective fraternity 'legally stole' their own ritual books under the assumption that it was their own property. Much ritual material still exists in the LOC including documents by Alpha Tau Omega, Kappa Sigma, Delta Kappa Epsilon, Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, and many others.
Can you give the cite for the court case, 'cause I'm not finding it. Like I already said, and like anybody who's been around GC for any length of time knows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Quote:
All secret societies including fraternities/sororities are still required by law to post anual membership logs which are retained in the LOC and may not be retrieved.
Source? Cite the law to me.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah could you give a link for the Time Magazine article because I do ever remember Sigma Chi's ritual being number three. Also, could you show where Kappa Sigma's ritual is listed in the LOC?

This is interesting:

“Our group refuses to provide proof about our ritual because it is one of the most well kept secrets among any fraternity. During the 1960s, when most fraternities were required to demonstrate their rituals before congress, and register the process with the library of congress, ours was excluded. The reason for this was one of our most distinguished members, former Senator Bob Dole testified that there was nothing present in the ritual that constituted a threat, and that the secrecy is reserved only for members to share a common bond.”

Last edited by Kappasigutc; 05-31-2008 at 11:21 PM.