GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,131
1 members and 1,130 guests
No Members online

Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

My husband ran into a mom at the gym whose daughter is attending his SEC alma mater in fall and plans to go through recruitment. The mom tells him "she can't wait to meet the xyzs-she hears they're the best on campus!" I asked him "you mean the house that most every ppm ranks first? The house with the highest return rate, that takes their pick of the pnms? What did you say????" He told her "keep an open mind and give every house you are fortunate enough to be invited back to serious consideration" I trained him well!!
Old 03-04-2017, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Yes you did!
Old 07-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

I hope to hear what happened with this PNM.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Just saying, and just adding to this discussion of "many houses" and "they'll find their own" (which kinda sorta could be translated into "pmns need to be happy if they get a bid at all and who are they to have the right to choose anyway")-please remember many things pale in the shadow of the disappointment of an alum whose daughter is cut right before preference, especially when that is done without the courtesy of a phone call.

Last edited by ivyrose2; 07-16-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I hate it when they don't make the call. I'm old school enough to believe it's the right thing to do. But I've been around long enough to know that logistically for some chapters, it isn't that simple. Chapters that have 50-60 or more legacies coming thru face a real challenge. And not just any adviser can make the calls. Most groups require it to be a particular adviser and she's already busy....if it was 5-6,that's one thing. But 20 or so, my heart goes out to them. I've had to make that phone call and I sure wouldn't want to have to make multiple ones on the same night.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I understand that so well, Titchou. But actives need to understand that the mom could possibly never forget the hurt. And that lack of courtesy was done to someone that is supposed to be a sister. Someone who you hope someday might see your letters on your resume and give you a break, or when you need a promotion or some introductions and could link you to an opportunity. Someone whose alum sisters will ask her why her daughter pledged someone else and who may also be in the position someday to help you with a connection or an opportunity. Someone who (along with her alum sisters) for sure will get a letter to contribute to undergrad scholarships or undergrad assistance funds. And no one took the 2 minutes to give her the courtesy phone call. In my day, it was the unpleasant job of the advisor and I understand now why it is so important that is is done.

Last edited by ivyrose2; 07-16-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Here's the hard thing about making the call: you can't say why they were cut, even if you know why. Often, it was just a numbers thing. That one hurts because the alum might know that 500 girls are coming back to the next set of parties and all she can think of is that the chapter liked at least 500 girls better than her daughter.

Or the real reason might be something sordid, such as her daughter has a horrible reputation--and the alum might not realize this. I know local girls who've been totally cut out of recruitment for photos they put on Instagram or Facebook. No one wanted to be the one to enlighten Mom that her daughter had posted a photo of herself peeing in a sink!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Yup, it's a hard phone call-no one said it was easy. IMO it needs to be made regardless, and the alum advisor is a perfect one to do that deed. The specifics do not need to be shared.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

I know they don't have to be but I have friends who've had the mom screaming, "WHY? WHY? I am going to sue every one of you!" or accusing them of various things. This is why many sororities don't give the call anymore.

I get what you're saying. I have many Greek daughters and recruitment was rough for a couple of them.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I know they don't have to be but I have friends who've had the mom screaming, "WHY? WHY? I am going to sue every one of you!" or accusing them of various things. This is why many sororities don't give the call anymore.

I get what you're saying. I have many Greek daughters and recruitment was rough for a couple of them.
Exactly! And it's rarely a 2 minute phone call...it can go on and on and on. I had one that did. It was horrible. And thankfully it was the only one I had to make that year. My heart does go out to those advisers who have to sit thru multiple ones.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Carnation, feel free to move this discussion to another section, if you feel the need to, since it is somewhat off topic, but it is timely and might be an interesting topic for actives (and pmns) and alums to read, as it gives both sides a chance to see the other's perspective (and for pmns that rush is not a given, even if a legacy).

Last edited by ivyrose2; 07-16-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

We've had several threads on alums making the call: should they, what to say, why most groups have quit, etc. but I haven't seen them lately.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been the recruitment advisor before and while I haven't been in a position where making such a call would be necessary, I must admit I have very mixed feelings about the value of making such calls. I fall in the camp that feels this treads a little farther into sharing specific membership selection details outside the group of people who need to know. I also have known of more than one PNM who actually ranked their legacy house too low to get a pref invite or bid, but lied to their mother/legacy relationship and told them that their org cut them. That particular kettle of fish is quite messy.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:45 PM

^You would hope that the mom or whoever would have the smarts to realize that her chapter has not been frozen in amber for the last 25 years, or that the chapter at mom's alma mater and daughter's school have never had anything in common except their letters. IMO it would be more upsetting to have a daughter pledge your org, hate it and drop out.