GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,746
2 members and 2,744 guests
ER_Pike, TLLK

Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM

I think that Shine thing is aimed at women who had a lobotomy along with their first pelvic examination.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think that Shine thing is aimed at women who had a lobotomy along with their first pelvic examination.
FTW.

Not to mention, it's sort of a day late (or, a couple weeks late...) and a dollar short. This is old news.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Agreed. Which is probably why it took them almost a month to write about it!

ETA: In their defense, they do admit they were "a little late to the party on this one." But since that statement is followed by calling the document "the kind of oppressive, elitist fashion advice that's your basic "Mean Girls" nightmare," I have little sympathy. Gotta love articles that perpetuate Greek stereotypes!

Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest.
The content of this post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of Kappa Delta Sorority.

Last edited by xomanadaxo; 02-11-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My coworker asked me about this yesterday. "You aren't in Pi Beta Phi, are you??" It was pretty funny to see an outsider's perspective. I tried to explain but I'm not sure she really got it- it's hard to get what recruitment is when you haven't been through it. Oh well. I say keep having fun, Cornell Pi Phis.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

"No Mustaches or Muffin Tops" is a good rule for LIFE.

Seriously. You have to put your best foot forward in most aspects of life: job interviews, a regular day on the job, dating, volunteer work, school, going to your kid's school. Why is this seen as so weird?!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
"No Mustaches or Muffin Tops" is a good rule for LIFE.

Seriously. You have to put your best foot forward in most aspects of life: job interviews, a regular day on the job, dating, volunteer work, school, going to your kid's school. Why is this seen as so weird?!
Because a SORORITY did it!!! And those sororities are all full of mean, shallow bitches. Good grief, one of my sisters had a job where well into the 00s she wasn't allowed to wear pants, which I think truly is ridiculous. But you don't see that all over the internet. Or if you do, people say "well when you work with the public that's how you need to dress!!" or something of the like.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly- when I did my medical school interviews my advisor sat me down with a very exact list of what to wear and look like. It told me exactly what makeup to wear and how much, how my hair should be, the earrings I could wear, and the shoes and suit colors.

No one complains about this, because it isn't a bunch of mean girls they felt threatened by in college doing it. (I was actually really thankful!)

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this thread is old, but sometimes it all needs to be spelled out. As much as I adored my sisters, some did need some fashion/hair/beauty advice. In rush, you only have 20 or so minutes to make a wonderful impression. You need to look as put together as possible and not like you really didn't care. Sometimes you need to incorporate tough love. My chapter was always full of the down to earth cool chicks, but the top recruiting chappies were the glamazons. Not saying one needs to change herself, but as others have said, would you go to a job interview looking like you just rolled out of bed?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
I know this thread is old, but sometimes it all needs to be spelled out. As much as I adored my sisters, some did need some fashion/hair/beauty advice. In rush, you only have 20 or so minutes to make a wonderful impression. You need to look as put together as possible and not like you really didn't care. Sometimes you need to incorporate tough love. My chapter was always full of the down to earth cool chicks, but the top recruiting chappies were the glamazons. Not saying one needs to change herself, but as others have said, would you go to a job interview looking like you just rolled out of bed?
I agree as well, I just had to have a tough conversation with the chapter I advise about how they need to step it up image-wise. They are all cute, just lazy about appearance - and with deferred recruitment, the incoming freshmen have a whole semester to see who they want, and don't want. They just need to make more of an effort.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember when employers handed out a copy of "How to Dress for Success" on the first day of work.