GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,551
Threads: 114,747
Welcome to our newest member, buuielkrp

Old 01-28-2010, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Not all that long ago my chapter recieved a really nice goodie basket from a TX alumna promoting a PNM. Honestly it freaked the members out. If they didn't like the PNM it would offend this generous alumna. Some were offended that it looked like an attempted bribe for a bid. I'm not sure if it would have affected whether they would have liked the PNM or not. They were actually relieved when the PNM didn't have grades so the decision was out of their hands.

FYI - of course they still ate the treats. They're college girls after all.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansarah View Post
Not a joke, thanks for the snark, this was the norm when I went through. I also think it's silly, that's why I was asking another opinion.

Also, FWIT, I haven't pressured her to go Chi O, she came to me saying that she wants to rush and that Chi O is her first pick. If she wasn't so excited, I wouldn't push it.
Calm down. People aren't being snarky; on the contrary, I think you've received pretty solid advice. You have to understand that not everyone here is from a place where this is normal...at all. While it's great that that was the norm for when and where you went to college, and there are some GCers who can relate, a lot of other people have never heard of this happening.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I heard of this... it involved movie tickets and a free dinner at an alumna's restaurant that she and her husband owned.
It happens every day, or every time for recruitment... Its the way of the World! (in Texas).
OP should do what ever she wants.... she should be prepared to remember her days as a member and to recall whether they all had a POSITIVE RESPONSE to every one of these gifts they recieved at the Chi O house in Texas....
Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I haven't heard anything in years about Greek life at Texas State, but if this isn't the current norm there, I wouldn't put your niece's name on anything. You risk freaking the girls out. It's not the norm at the chapters I'm involved with, and I know the girls at those chapters would appreciate the treat but think the shameless plug of a particular PNM was creepy.

However, if you wish to deliver something to the house, I am certain the ladies in the chapter will appreciate support from an alumna.

Side note... I did hear of a woman who made finger sandwiches for a chapter and delivered them to the ladies during work week. She stayed to serve the sisters sandwiches and drinks on cute little napkins... which happened to be embossed with "See you soon! Love, Penny PNM" in the sorority's colors.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a side note, that is if you didn't already know it...but Chi-O here at Texas State doesn't have anyone that lives in the house, so if you do send something, hopefully you catch people when they're there. :/ or otherwise notify someone that you're dropping it off, or have it delivered during chapter? Just and idea!

xi love
Old 01-28-2010, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Is recruitment at Texas State competitive? Maybe I'm just not familiar with the campus because we don't have a chapter there, but I have not heard about it being a competitive recruitment. I went to a Texas university where recruitment was not extremely competitive and we never saw anything like this. I have heard of it since, but my sisters and I would have thought it was a little over the top. I would suggest sending cookies along with her recommendation letter, to get attention for her, but also to seem less like you're trying to hover over recruitment.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

i would take this as a bribe, however, if you are going to do something, i vote for sending cookies and perhaps including a note of best wishes with your name on it so that the chapter links the cookies to you and the recommendation you write. please take that with a grain of salt, however, because i am from florida and have never witnessed firsthand how this sits with a chapter.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

This has never happened at my school, but it is small in greek terms. I am not sure how I would feel about getting physical items promoting a single PNM (I get why the word bribe was brought up). But as others have said "she might become an inside joke", so an excellent recommendation with the cookies would be my suggestion. Then your PNM would get noticed and your show of love can go either way A) for your niece or B) just to show your support during rush.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Goody bags during recruitment are appreciated. The girls love getting recruitment support from alumnae. From my limited knowledge, however, names of specific pnm's on cookies etc. make the girls a little uneasy, I really did think those days were over. That's why I thought it was a joke. Some chapters, apparently not all, have specifically asked their alumnae at UT to not do that any more. Maybe some alumnae think it makes a difference, I personally don't think it does.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I want someone to get a special brand that will go on cooked meat like steaks or burgers. I would definitely remember a PNM if her name was on a filet mignon.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I want someone to get a special brand that will go on cooked meat like steaks or burgers. I would definitely remember a PNM if her name was on a filet mignon.
Or sushi that spelled out her name. Better yet, sushi arranged on a hot naked man (like what Adrienne Curry did on Surreal Life).
Old 01-29-2010, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

I wasn't going to respond to this, but... We once had an alumna bring her (really awesome) daughter to our suite, along with baked goodies that they had made and some awesome petit fours and some retro photos. It was made clear that there would be more petit fours in the offing. I could tell you the alumna & her daughter's name even today, *mumble mumble* years later! But alas, the daughter decided to go to another school, where she did get a bid from ADPi.

The moral of the story is that it happens, in many different ways, in various degrees of bluntness, at more schools than people realize.

ETA: I like the idea of steaks, though.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I think individual tins of caviar are the way to go.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

This is not unusual in the slightest at the U of Arkansas, and I have no doubt it is the norm for UT....I have personally seen:

Boxes upon boxes of hand decorated bakery cookies with a pnms name in icing on each...
Large galvanized tubs painted on the outside with "So and So is a KEY Rushee" and then filled with individual bottled waters with homemade labels with the same message printed on each...
Sleeves of special order styrofoam cups with rushees' name printed on each...
Custom ordered notepads(stickies) and pens/pencils with names on them...

The list could go on and on...

The kicker? Our chapter does NOT accept these gifts. (but other GLOs on our campus do, so it is confusing to the general alumnae population) We send out this info every year to no avail. It still gets sent. The advisor must hide the styrofoam cups (I actually gave them to the girl after she pledged), rip off the carefully applied labels on the water, SCRAPE off the names from each cookie or across the massive sheet cake, before letting the actives see anything.

Call the recruitment chair or advisor and ask if they have a policy before wasting your money. We do allow more general gifts which are welcome. For example, if the Dallas alumnae group wants to send a basket of candies that says something like, "Good Luck during Recruitment from the Dallas Area Alum Assoc." then that is acceptable since it is not technically endorsing anyone.

Just one more way the good ol' South seems to make itself a contender for number one in the BizarroWorld of recruitment!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 PM

^^^Ok, if I was an alum and wanted to send a gift to your chapter, I would be doing the subliminal message thing. Remember Al Hirschfeld - the caricaturist who always put his daughter's name somewhere in his caricatures and the more he liked the person, the more "Nina"s they got? Totally do that with frosting, yo.