GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,415
1 members and 2,414 guests
navane

Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I'm in NC, I'm not sure what Panhellenic is tellling the girls and/or how they are informing them. I do know that after I talked with the girls in Charlotte, they told me that I had given them far more information than they received during orientation. All of "my" girls were completely covered. If there is someone who is having trouble securing a rec for a certain group, I run it through Alumnae Panhellenic (I am a member of the Executive Board here) and we get her covered. If it weren't for my Panhellenic sisters, I don't know how we would do it.

One thing I do know is that the mothers need to hear this probably more than the girls. The ones who are not from SEC territory don't believe until they hear it from another adult and, let's face it, the responsibility really lies on them.

We will be trying to solve the problem but even with this situation, the numbers were still phenomenal and the system is working.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

With the bumper crop of NMs at Bama this time around, I hope SDT can do well with their informal recruitment. They seem like a dedicated, hard-working group of women, and it's great that they get so much support from their national.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhfulmer View Post

RTR!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Zillini and all others who have offered information, comfort for my daughter and me, and great suggestions, thank you all so much. I really do appreciate all information.

I have really received an education this week, and certainly do with I had known about this website prior to Rush!!! It is very informative. Obviously none of you know my daughter, and we all think our own children are great, but I have to believe that with my daughter's bubbly personality and genuine love of anyone who is kind to her, that she will find her place somewhere, be it with a Greek or other type organization. She loved all of her Rho Chi leaders, and already knows of a common bond she will have with one of them. She's a great girl with a positive attitude and I know she will be fine.
I was angry because I felt that we had not been correctly informed of all the "rules" but Zillini.........I double checked on the Panhellenic website and you are correct. It plainly states there is no minimum GPA, and I have no idea where the 2.5 info came from. It is now time for me to "get over it" suck it up, and have faith in my daughter that she's got what it takes to have a happy and successful college experience!!!

Maybe with her marginal grades, what she really does need to focus on as many of you say, is making great grades, making new friends, and letting life happen. That way, she can't lose.

Bamagirl29------i am so sorry that things did not work out for you either, and I personally think you did the right thing. If you know you don't feel right about something, there is probably a reason!!! Maybe you can meet my daughter, and y'all can find something else great to do!!

Again, many thanks to you all......and again Zillini, thanks for the explanation. Wish she had a higher GPA, but at least I don't feel like it was a personal assault as much.

Blessings to all!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom90 View Post
It is now time for me to "get over it" suck it up, and have faith in my daughter that she's got what it takes to have a happy and successful college experience!!!

Maybe with her marginal grades, what she really does need to focus on as many of you say, is making great grades, making new friends, and letting life happen. That way, she can't lose.
I wish every mom thought this way.

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time at Bama.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I wish every mom thought this way.

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time at Bama.
Cosign.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

KSUViolet06,

Thank you much. And btw, can we be best friends? I totally just laughed out loud by myself in my home when I read your signature line. So many times I have wanted to issue a blanket statement about that, along with an additional statement that their/they're/there, won't/want and your/you're are also different!!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Ladies...

I just thought I would mention for those of you wondering...Bear Bryant's great-grandaughter did go through rush at Alabama this year. She will be quite an asset to any organization on campus. I have no idea what she pledged. I moved from Birmingham a few years ago & lost touch with her mom a bit. My guess would be Alpha Gam or perhaps she was persuaded to "branch out" from the Bryant family tradition. In that case, my guess would be Kappa or KD.

By the way, she has 2 adorable little sisters who might follow in their sisters footsteps down the road so some organization might have just secured three amazing women :-)

Congrats to all the sororities for making quota!!

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 08-17-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Removed names - privace issues
Old 08-17-2009, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Bryant great-grandaughter question

To the moderator: please remove the girl's name from this forum. She is only 18, and I know her personally. She is a darling girl, but I feel this is a violation of her privacy. I do know what sorority she pledged, and would offer that information had her name not been used or is subsequently edited out.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with rolltide1 -- that girl's name should never have been used on a public forum.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is elated about Theta's outcome this year--she tells me all their new girls are awesome and gorgeous! She is exhausted with another recruitment behind her but very happy. I worked a few days this past week---always lots of fun with the moms and the girls!

Bamamom90--my heart goes out to you as you seek to comfort your daughter. It is always hard when our children are hurt and we can't "fix it!" I hope your daughter will find her place at Bama and will continue the friendships she formed last week. There IS more to life at Bama than the Greek life---and if she decides to go through rush as a soph., I wish her the best. May she enjoy this year of new beginnings---make good grades, new friends, and discover new opportunities on campus and in the community.

Bamagirl29--I don't know what you could have done differently---your grades were certainly stellar. Hang in there, hold your head high and move on to better things and a great semester! Wishing you the very best as you pursue your dreams at Bama.

Having gone through Bama Bound with my daughter a few years ago, I must say that the Greek portion of the orientation was well covered regarding grades--at LEAST a 3.0-- as well as recs. I know my daughter's chapter does not consider anyone with a GPA under 3.0. Also, it was made clear that recs were the responsibility of the PNM, NOT the chapter. Names and addresses were clearly given on the website- and in the print-out of the power point presentation- for sending recs to each chapter. My daughter's high school's counseling office also has a spring meeting to inform any interested seniors about the recruitment process. They give the girls a list of alumnae they can use for recs, if needed. There are also numerous teas around the state given by each chapter in the Spring to introduce PNMs to members. I realize this is a definite disadvantage to those living out of state, but somehow it all works out. I know Theta has a LOT of girls from Ga. and Tx.--in fact, my daughter's closest sisters are all from the Atlanta area!

Congratulations to all the houses at Bama---what an awesome Rush this year! It was great seeing so many girls return after each round and my daughter was always excited about their return percentages. Best wishes to all!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhfulmer View Post
I just heard from a chapter advisor at Bama who had some more information. Every single sorority made quota and those who were under house total were able to bid up to total so each and every sorority at Bama is currently at or above total. This year only 138 girls dropped out or didn't get bids - last year that number was 366.
This is the first time I have ever heard of a Panhellenic giving Chapters enough Quota Additions to reach Total. Though perhaps in the past there weren't enough PNMs able to do this. Regardless, I think it was phenomenal!!! These PNMs wanted to go Greek and were willing to accept bids. Why make them or the Chapters wait until after Bid Day to do this officially through COB? Then those girls would miss being part of the excitement of Bid Day.

Kudos to Alabama Panhellenic!!!

Last edited by Zillini; 08-17-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Mispoke and said snap bidding instead of quota additions
Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Don't beat yourself up about it. You kept yourself eligible for COB if any are offered at the groups you are interested in.
If the PNM had two options for her Bid Card and only put down one, and didn't get a bid, she is not eligible for COB. She ISP (intentionally single preferenced). She has to wait one calendar year before she is eligible to join an NPC sorority.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
With the bumper crop of NMs at Bama this time around, I hope SDT can do well with their informal recruitment. They seem like a dedicated, hard-working group of women, and it's great that they get so much support from their national.
First off, congrats to all the chapter! I'm really happy everyone was able to do so well!

If anyone hears anything on how the SDT chapter is doing, please let me know! I'm hoping for another great year for my sisters!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 08-17-2009, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Penguintrax, I too was laboring under the misconception that you had to have actually received a bid in formal recruitment and turned it down to be ineligible for COB.